A diaphram pump is what you need for on-playa misting systems

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
BrotherNomad
Burning Since: 2014

A diaphram pump is what you need for on-playa misting systems

Post by BrotherNomad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I spent the last 2 years wanting some kind of misting system, and went through a lot of trail and error to get it because I didn't know about the diaphragm pump. Then I bought the 15 gallon spot sprayer from the Harbor of Freight, thinking the 12v pump on top would pump air pressure into the tank like the smaller garden sprayers. It turns out that a diaphragm pump that provides the pressure, and the tank is just for water. The diaphragm pumps that came with pushes about 40 PSI, enough for mister heads to provide nice mist on playa.

Using a diaphragm pump one can draw from any size tank or water container and have a potentially compact system that can even be strapped to a bicycle for an outdoor misting system.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: A diaphram pump is what you need for on-playa misting systems

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:41 am

This is an interesting concept, especially since diaphragm pumps are so common. It may be worth experimentation.

I believe they are far less efficient than water pumps though so may cause much faster battery drain.

Another potential drawback is that all diaphragm pumps have one or more check valves of some type which the dust will probably reduce the efficiency of or even impair working at all.

Another source of this type of pump are bait well aerators for fishing boats which commonly run on 12v. They even make some portable bait aerators that run on a single C cell, but those go through batteries every 2 hours or so.

Let us know what you come up with.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 am

Does this pump move water through it or air?

Gotta know that little detail.

Could be either since there is a tank involved.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 pm

All the water pumps in campers and RVs are diaphragm pumps. They pump water not air. Is this gizmachi of yours an air pump?
If you're using an air pump there are all sorts of options.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Return to “Keeping Cool”