Modified Monkey Hut

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
GhettorigMechanic
Burning Since: 2017

Modified Monkey Hut

Post by GhettorigMechanic » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 am

Hello all. I was wondering if I could get some advice from you all about modifying the monkey hut design for travel. I was thinking about cutting my 10' pvc ribs in half, to fit in the back of my truck. I know it's been done, anyone have some advice for reassembly on-playa? I was thinking a 1-2 foot sleeve, and drilling a couple if holes for bolts on each 5 ft section, and bolting them together via the sleeve as a connector. I thought about using glue, but i dont know how big of a pain in the ass that will be or how big of a pain it will be to tear down. Advice?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Modified Monkey Hut

Post by AntiM » Mon May 15, 2017 6:25 am

We have a couple split poles, and sometimes use a sleeve on them. Mostly we duct tape a connector pole in parallel after our connectors shatter, but yes, the sleeve method also works.

No glue. Duct tape. Glue will make your break down miserable, and the poles unfit for future use.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Modified Monkey Hut

Post by Token » Mon May 15, 2017 8:31 am

Been done before, well documented on the board. Search.

The sleve will be under tension if at the apex and friction will hold it on. Don't drill, just making the thing weaker by doing that.

Like AntiM said, tape the sleve in place centered on the joint, then tension it into a rib. The friction created will hold it together.

Get gaffers tape. More $$ but so worth it. Duct tape glue melts and gets all gross and sticky out the. Impossible to remove.

Return to “Keeping Cool”