Greywater cooling using a heat exchanger approach?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
emayers
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Pulsefield

Greywater cooling using a heat exchanger approach?

Postby emayers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:34 pm

I've been reading about all the various designs and I'm super excited to build my first evaporative cooler. I entirely understand why you don't want to use greywater for a standard swampcooler (because the air you're breathing would include aerosolized greywater and whatever is growing in it). I'll almost certainly build a standard design, but I can't stop thinking about trying to build a version that utilizes evaporative cooling of greywater through a heat exchanger to create cooled (but never-in-contact-with-greywater) air. The goal being to get some value out of greywater evaporation if you're already planning a contraption for that purpose. This cooled, but still dry, air could either go through a second-stage freshwater swampcooler or be setup to be recirculated.

The most simple form I can think of is to pass water-tight metal duct through a passive (or fan driven) evaporation pond (maybe a kiddie pool?). I don't know if there would be enough thermal transfer with this setup to have any effect on the air temperature.

Obviously this would be more complex, but I'm curious if anyone has tried building such a thing.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: Greywater cooling using a heat exchanger approach?

Postby EGAZ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:42 pm

What you are looking for is called a water to air heat exchanger. cold water is pumped through the finned tubing. Air is blown across the fins cooling the air. These are used a lot in Hospitals, office buildings, condos and apartments. The water is cooled with a refrigeration chiller of some sort. The temperature is usually in the 45-55'F range to be able to dehumidify and cool.

One could build an evap cooler that cools the water the best it can, then pump this 'cooler' water through the heat exchanger and returning it to the evap cooler. Air would be recirculated, (different then exhausted like a bucket cooler) through this heat exchanger in the controlled space.

Yes, one could build one. Yes, it would be a lot of work for what little cooling it would do given the higher water temp it generates. 'IF' one had a lot of grey water to evaporate, it might run long enough, to supply 'cooler' water to the coil long enough to 'some' amount of cooling in the controlled space. I'm thinking running most of the sun filled day and even then it may not ever catch up or keep up with ambient temps.

But if you do build one, document it and tell us how it went. :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Re: Greywater cooling using a heat exchanger approach?

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 pm

I think if you build this, it needs to be a for-fun engineering exercise rather than an actual attempt at making sense to do.
And that's cool.

Return to “Keeping Cool”