Alumicloth - Verdict?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
jHands
Burning Since: 2017

Alumicloth - Verdict?

Postby jHands » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Been shopping for aluminet and have stumbled across alumicloth. 80% instead of 70, and it's cheaper (I don't understand this?). Has anyone used it? Is it durable?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Alumicloth - Verdict?

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Never heard of it. If you try it, please come back and let us know if it worked.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 am

Looks like the same thing. Likely from a knock-off manufacturer in China instead of the true aluminet brand.

If memory serves, aluminet originated in Israel and it is possible patents expired and whatnot.

jHands
Burning Since: 2017

Postby jHands » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am

Contacted seller. Aluminet is a trademarked name. Alumicloth is exactly the same, just made by a different manufacturer.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 am

Sure, the knockoff guys will tell you it's exactly the same... did you expect them to tell you otherwise?

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Postby silvergirl70 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 pm

JHands:
Did you end up getting the Alumicloth? very curious about properties, etc. If Aluminet's patent has expired, I'm always on the lookout for good shadecloth. Making more shade structures for a regional burn, and would love to hear if you purchased.....
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Postby krly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

...And don't overlook Attic Foil dot com. Request their free samples.....could be interesting stuff....

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Postby silvergirl70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok. I wrote the distributor. They order it in bulk from the overseas shipper but only have small pieces that are grommeted and taped. I asked them if they would be able to sell larger pieces custom cut, grommeted and taped and they said they would NOT be able to do that. (I just don't have the sewing machine capabilities to sew on that much tape on the sides for my 24 by 24 foot pieces.).
Still, the description says it's aluminized high density polyethylene (HDPE) which is basically Aluminet. (Apparently, Aluminnet is made here in Wisconsin... who knew).

oh, and the smaller pieces still are reasonably priced, already grommeted and taped. If anybody finds a distributor that sells Alumacloth with custom sizes who will grommet and tape it, let me know.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:21 pm

I bought a 9' x 12' grommeted 80% Aluminet to toss and secure over the tent. Stuff is amazing. YMMV, but I thought it made a big difference in cooling shade. Now, in 2017 as hot as it was, everything struggled to make things cooler...but this stuff worked pretty well.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Picked up a 20x24 Alumicoth to be used along with a swamp cooler for a 20" trailer this year. Will be interesting to compare the overall temperature and gas usage to 2017 when I had no cover and used the RV AC.

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm shopping for a 20x24 aluminet tarp also. Mind sharing where you ended up getting it at how much? Private message if you think it wouldn't be ok to post.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Strata wrote:I'm shopping for a 20x24 aluminet tarp also. Mind sharing where you ended up getting it at how much? Private message if you think it wouldn't be ok to post.

I got a 20'x30' 80% aluminet shade cloth with reinforced taped edges, grommets every 2 feet and 2 grommets on each corner 4" from the corner for $370 with shipping and handling to my front door from an often recommended supplier for Burn related shade cloth.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:25 am

I decided to go with a pair of 14x20 panels (taped, grommeted), $76 each plus tax, free shipping, via a supplier on Amazon. I'll put the two panels together on the 20 foot edges with paracord and presto a 28x20 panel for much less than a single panel that size.

My next best find was AlumiCloth at $160 including shipping for a 20x24 panel.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:04 am

I'm super excited to see the tyranny of that pricing get challenged. This bodes well for Sextant...
Sarge

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 am

Cool!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 am

I was aware I was paying a premium but in the home stretch I needed a product with as much a guarantee of fitness I could get and that's why I chose the place with a huge amount of experience making custom shade. In the future I'm going to purchase the raw shade fabric and then have a local shade place cut, add tape and grommets.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:04 pm

silvergirl70 wrote:.... (I just don't have the sewing machine capabilities to sew on that much tape on the sides for my 24 by 24 foot pieces.). ....

A lot of discussion on pre-made taped and grommeted aluminet vs. bulk aluminet (huge difference in price) is in an old thread.

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=80975&hilit=raw+shade+cloth

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Strata

Sent a PM.

Z

Token

Postby Token » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm

There is magic in numbers and multipliers with Aluminet.

Standard widths are multiple of 7’

7, 14, 21, 28

Anything between or over either needs cutting or surging.

Labor adds cost.

Good vendors will sell fully trimmed and reinforced edges that are folded in 6.5, 13.5, 20.5 ... basically a 3 inch fold and tape.

I don’t like taped and grommets. They fail and never give me the stretch I’m looking for. I like the clip-on grommets with a loop that takes a ball-bungee. Can custom tension that way and adjust.

Ymmv.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Token, So do you just leave it unfinished and use clip on grommets? that way the edges would keep their stretch. I've never used or sewn Aluminet. I may have some this year. I picture sewing a stretchy fabric on the edges. I have plenty of fancy clips for tarps.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Token

Postby Token » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Yep. Aluminet is knit not woven so it doesn’t fray and moop.

The clips work great for my less than square structures.

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:00 am

Ratty wrote:I've never used or sewn Aluminet. I may have some this year. I picture sewing a stretchy fabric on the edges.

Finding the right combo of fabric edging and aluminet to be sewn together is a TRIP....I had two sewing machines break, and a sailmaker I had to use as all other options were gone, insisted on using a fabric for the edging that had no integrity at all.

Make tests before you invest, as your machine may be at risk...Don't ask me how they break, but two people experienced with their own machines haven't spoken to me since....

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 am

That doesn't faze me. I repaired a huge trampoline. I made sewed the edges on several plastic tarps. With the right presser foot and needle you can do a lot. Maybe I'll make a tutorial. (Hope it's not one on how to burn out your sewing machine.)

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Ratty, you don't need to finish the edges of aluminet, in fact that will reduce its effectiveness. When untrimmed it will stretch and rebound without MOOPing at all. I have untrimmed aluminet that's been to 7 Burns and is still intact. Shark-Bite clip-on grommets work really well with aluminet and can be repositioned as needed. I LOVE MY ALUMINET. Yes it's a bit pricey but it works great, weighs nothing, packs tight and lasts for-fucking-ever.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:47 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Shark-Bite clip-on grommets work really well with aluminet and can be repositioned as needed.

The Shark Clips brand grippers are great, but there is a cheaper version I've used on aluminet for years.

These below have been discussed a lot in similar threads to this one, and they are 1/3 the price of Shark Clips.
I use very close spacing probably because they are so cheap.

"Clip-Its Plastic Grommets" 25 for $5.75 vs. Shark Clips 10 for $5.

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/product.aspx?sku=CL9500&dept=172

clips.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Token

Postby Token » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Ratty wrote:That doesn't faze me. I repaired a huge trampoline. I made sewed the edges on several plastic tarps. With the right presser foot and needle you can do a lot. Maybe I'll make a tutorial. (Hope it's not one on how to burn out your sewing machine.)

You can’t use a sewing machine. Must use a serger.

Sewing machine - straight line strength, no stretch.

Serger - area strength, lots of stretch.

Think knit sweater.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Token, All fine machines have a stretch stitch. My old Viking has a choice of 40 stitches and 40 embroidery patterns. Plus any ziz-zag stitch stretches. I have a serger that takes up to 4 threads at a time that baffles and mocks me from the corner of the room. I'll be ok.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:38 am

Ratty wrote: I have a serger that takes up to 4 threads at a time that baffles and mocks me from the corner of the room. I'll be ok.

If you do try the zig-zag or other fancy pattern on Aluminet, please do report back on the results.

There is an application I’m curious on for a fitted 4V geodesic dome cover that relies on the stretch for fit and hold.

silverfish
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Ridiculicious

Postby silverfish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm

In my limited experience aluminet or alumicloth dosen't block any more heat than normal shade mesh fabric. I am still using the aluminet I bought a few years ago (yay durability), but I wouldn't spend the extra cash on it again.

If you want to stay cooler underneath shade you need solid sun blocking, and preferably sun reflecting, fabric. The temperature difference standing under a normal piece of polyester/nylon and a sun blocking & reflective coated piece is night and day. My camp mates didn't believe me until I bought the fabric and proved it. Then they went out and bought sun reflective tarps to go over their shade structures. If you add a top vent it works even better by letting trapped heat escape.

Return to “Keeping Cool”