Likely temperature range for 2017?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Likely temperature range for 2017?

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

I think the craziest we had in 2016 was the night of the Man Burn. We were riding out in a MV and watched the whiteout rolling in to us. Barely got there in time before the white out hit. It was warm, and then the whiteout cleared and it got chilly, quick. I had brought two coats. One lightweight and one heavy. I loaned the heavy one to a British lady on the ride back to camp. She was freezing her tush off, barely wearing a sparkly bikini.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
Skuzzy61 wrote: Did it really get that cold last year? I thought it got chilly a few nights, but overall the temperatures were pretty moderate last year. At least, that is what I thought. I better revise what I have been saying. hehe.
Last year had a few chilly nights. 2015 got much colder (I think it was 2015), It was never all that hot during the day and it got down into the 30s at night. There were a few REEEEEAAAAALLY cold early morning bike rides back to camp.
I remember that! . . . The playa emptied out faster and more steadily than usual in 2015. By Temple Day, it was too miserably cold for most people to enjoy a party at night.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 am

Keep in mind that you are at altitude, and that open playa storms, wind, etc, blow across without much to stop them. Reno and all surrounding areas are notoriously windy. Out on the playa, heat loss isn't mitigated by surrounding hills, trees, water bodies, nothing, so swings are more extreme.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

uncle sticky wrote:Keep in mind that you are at altitude, and that open playa storms, wind, etc, blow across without much to stop them. Reno and all surrounding areas are notoriously windy. Out on the playa, heat loss isn't mitigated by surrounding hills, trees, water bodies, nothing, so swings are more extreme.
And unlike Reno, or even Gerlach, there are no buildings, sidewalks, or paved streets that absorb heat during the day and release it at night. Out on the playa, once the sun goes down the temperature drops SUPER fast.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Savannah wrote:
ACfromSAC wrote: Last year had a few chilly nights. 2015 got much colder (I think it was 2015), It was never all that hot during the day and it got down into the 30s at night. There were a few REEEEEAAAAALLY cold early morning bike rides back to camp.
I remember that! . . . The playa emptied out faster and more steadily than usual in 2015. By Temple Day, it was too miserably cold for most people to enjoy a party at night.
OH yeah, total ghost town compared to normal. People were streaming out much earlier than normal. In addition to being cold, it was also super windy with a few days of nonstop dust storms. Upside? Exodus was A BREEZE that year! I made it straight onto the asphalt early Monday morning.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Back to the original question ...

For a 10 and 14 day outlook, and this is climate prediction, NOT weather forecast:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

It shows in both the 10-day and 14-day outlook a 70% probability of higher than seasonal temperatures.

Now, again, this is climactic prediction and not a weather forecast. It only deals with probabilities with respect to seasonal norms and cannot forecast a weather event.

Looks like it will be on the warm side.

Now for weather, there are models out there like the GFS and ECMWF that run weather simulations daily ... Generally they are good for 10 days out, but confidence drops lots after day 3-5 ...

The Weather models are showing and exciting parade of low pressure systems just rolling on through.

There may be some thunderstorm activity from the 22nd - 24th. Some 30Mph winds in the forecast.

After that the lows and troughs continue their dance through the area bringing some fun winds, but the air-mass will be dry.

Also a nifty low-tech site that can tickle your weather fancy:

http://www.weatherstreet.com/states/nev ... recast.htm

Overall, warm, windy and dusty should be the norm.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 am

drdiffracto wrote:... What about sleeping, though? Do we need cold-weather sleeping bags, or will a warm-weather one and maybe an extra blanket be enough (assuming an air mattress below it)?
2010, first few days chilly, low 30's at night.
Two sleeping bags, track-suit & socks: then used the wide Reflectix, first as a blanket (insulation, but poor reflector), then to make a tent/shell (insulation, and heat reflected back; much better) around the sleeping bag - inside the RV. As in, mattress under me, not on the playa soil sucking heat away. That made it warmer but it was cold enough that I was still uncomfortable. The morning sun was very welcome.

At BRC, you don't want to be robbed of length and quality of sleep - key things to be in good shape to best enjoy your Burn.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Damn it was hot!

Post by Joeln » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:19 pm

People in my camp were saying it was the hottest burn they can remember. I heard rumors that temps were over 100 but never saw any data I could trust. Seemed to me like a lot of folks were hiding under shade in the afternoons.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm

The thermometer at the reception desk of Astral Headwash was reading 113F on Monday of burn week (I open on Mondays, so had plenty of time to notice).

That's under a carport, so it can be a little hotter than the air outside. Still, it was easily the hottest burn I've ever experienced.

Papa Bear
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:00 pm

I've also been told the humidity was relatively high - around 45%. That would explain why I was literally drenched in sweat at some points. Normally it evaporates too fast for me to ever feel sweaty.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:39 pm

It was the hottest year I've ever seen. By a wide margin.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Officially it was hot As Fuck
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I had 105'F inside the RMC on Sat. (26) afternoon. Seen it again later in the week but 101-103'F in the RMC was common in the afternoon all week.
I had the vent fans running most of the time as I am in and out frequently. So the RMC had air flow when the temps were noted.

Maybe JustJoe can post the stats for the week from his weather station. I did stop by on Sunday to confirm my readings on Sat.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 pm

The RMC needs A/C!!

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 pm

It has it. Could have held 75'F all week. But I'm in/out so much it makes no sense to run it. Camp2 had visitors all day, every day this year so I was in/out much more than last year. Its a mancave, so it can take the dusting it gets. It's emptied now waiting for its bath this weekend. LOL

I'm going to fab some filters for the roof vents for next year. Surprisingly it stayed fairly clean for 3-4 days with just the vents open. Quick counter wipe down, done.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Papa Bear wrote:Still, it was easily the hottest burn I've ever experienced.
Yup. This is the first year that I barely left camp until after sundown, and spent most days just sleeping out of the heat (bless you for existing, RV A/C). A camp-mate told me I was "missing the Burn", I just pointed out the door into the blazing sun & said Fuck That. It was a night Burn for me this year (and a mostly fabulous one at that)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:07 pm

I was told by one of the Center Camp Cafe leads during my shift that on Monday (right after opening) it was over 116 in the direct sun. I understand that would make it the hottest day ever during the event. I just know that it was brutally hot during our 3.5 days of build.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located at Esplanade and 3:00 Portal for 2018!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:43 am

It was hot.

Hottest in my eighteen. :shock:

I wore bootyshorts/boots/braids the entire time;
deployed the playacoat twice,
for 4am adventures. 8)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 am

Eric wrote: Yup. This is the first year that I barely left camp until after sundown, and spent most days just sleeping out of the heat (bless you for existing, RV A/C). A camp-mate told me I was "missing the Burn", I just pointed out the door into the blazing sun & said Fuck That. It was a night Burn for me this year (and a mostly fabulous one at that)
By being well rested and not suffering heat exhaustion, you're in much better shape to be out all night and enjoy BRC. It's way better looking at night anyway.

Return to “Keeping Cool”