Using a Mini Fridge in a tent?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
CrashDisco
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Trifucta

Using a Mini Fridge in a tent?

Post by CrashDisco » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey Burners!

I camp in a canvas tent, with an AC to keep it cool during the day. This year, I am thinking about bringing a very small mini fridge for my tent to keep just a few things like sandwich makings; tofurkey, vegan cheese, mayo, mustard, and lettuce. That way I can just use my cooler for drinks, and don't have to worry about muddy water getting into my food. The main things I'm worried about are the heat put off by mini fridges, and if I get a really small fridge, like the ones that only hold a few cans, will it keep my food cool enough? Does anyone have any experience with tent camping with a fridge, or advice for me? Is this a dumb idea?

Thank y'all!
Fuck yer burn!!

>Crash

rbgilbert
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Burner Buddies

Re: Using a Mini Fridge in a tent?

Post by rbgilbert » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:56 pm

You'll definitely get a net heat increase inside your tent. I'd suggest putting the fridge in a separate little tent.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I've had big fridges, chest freezers, little fridges out there and always just kept them in the shade outside.

They all work just fine as long as your generator runs 24/7 and they are not in the sun.

Now, if you bring it into the tent, you just added a big heater to the tent. Your AC will work much harder so I'd pass on that plan if I were you.

Just get a small fridge that fits under some folding tables and call it a day.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Your refrigerator uses the same refrigeration cycle as your AC, so keeping it inside your tent is like venting the heat exhaust of your AC unit into your tent.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Keeping Cool”