Better way

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Mozy F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Better way

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:59 am

This is not my original design. Commercially Available $500+. I changed their copy a little to fit my DIY design for Desert life use. But it can easily be a DIY Project for about the same price and some of the same parts as the buckets of mud. This Portable unit provides impressive cooling. It works by blowing filtered ambient air across a coil cooled by ice water. The cool air is blown from inside the space providing a comfortable air temperature even in the hot sun. Simply place it , fill it up with ice water and plug it in to the cigarette lighter or a 12v DC source.
Hours of comfort will follow.
Features:
•No installation outside your tent, Car, RV, Plane or Mutant Vehicle.
•High and low settings
•Cools for hours on low
•High can change the temperature as much as 35 degrees
•Fan will not draw in hot outside air and dust.
•Only recirculation of the cool clean air inside.
•Totally portable Fly/Drive/Sleep
•Can use clean Ice Chest runoff water before it’s going to the evaporation pond.
•Cooling Unit Ice Water never comes in contact with your ambient air.
•Does not add humidity to the air
•Does not evaporate off contaminants into the air from dirty wet cooler pads.
•HEPA filtered cleaned return air.

Included drainage tube allows you to leave unit in place and pump the water out into an evaporation pond. Included flexible tubing aim the cool air where it is most needed. Available in 12 volt models and designed to run off the voltage from the cigarette lighter. A lithium ion battery pack could go with this so you could have it on without draining the car/RV/Plane/Ect. battery. Measures 17"w x 17"h x 10"d; 5 amps; 14 lbs. empty weight; and 34 lbs approx. full weight.

My personal DIY design for this is HEPA Filtered and completely water proof. Which makes it dust proof. Just take it home and hose it off. It also has a hot water system for night time heat. All the parts can be found on line with some simple intelligent research. And no you can’t see it or buy mine!!  Fuck off… I gave you a start……. now do some research and go build your own.
~

Canoe

Re: Better way

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Your cooling needs already cooled water. And its cooling is limited to the thermal mass of the already cooled ice water. And as that water absorbs heat from the circulated air, the temperature differential lowers so the rate of heat exchange lowers.

No thanks.
Jar Jar Sith Lord
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Parts list

Small 12 volt bilge pump
Ice chest the larger the ice chest the longer the cooling time.
A fan ....with all these mud buckets I can't believe everyone has Missed boat vent fans which are mountable, waterproof and 12 volt.
A new or used car heater coil.
Box for the filter and coil (be creative you could even make a duct tape box for it)

There's some basics

Nice try

Now go away.
~

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Usefulness limited to the availability and thermal mass of the already cooled water.

Dozens of DIY designs of this type appear every year on youtube.

The physics are well know. As are the limitations.

Go troll elsewhere.

bye
Jar Jar Sith Lord
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Things don't become a commercial available if the science doesn't work.
17" x 17" x 10" produces about three hours of cooling time. About 1 gallon of ice.
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm not here for the local trolls
~

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Mozy F Bonz wrote:... About 1 gallon of ice.

And there's but one of the rubs. Although it is the biggest.
Then there's efficiency, declining efficiency, and component induced heat.

There's a number of people bring same/similar designs to eplaya each year.
Go check the dozens of designs on the internet so see if you can optimize what you have.
Won't change the limitations of the physics though, but it sounds like you have fun playing with it.

yawn

this is boring

bye, again
Jar Jar Sith Lord

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...

Where were you when we were water cooling CPUs to cryogenic levels with stacked Pelletier devices and grand water towers.

Your shits weak.

5A is too much. Gotta keep it under 2A.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah whatever slaps token in the back of the head stop lying to people .
you know who am that's why you're pissed off so fuck off
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Or come down Rancho Cordova and have a beer with me your choice fucker.
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 pm

What everybody is seeing now is the two of them researching the science to try and prove me wrong kind of funny isn't it.
~

Token

Postby Token » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:06 pm

Nah, I've forgotten more of that particular science than you will ever know. Been gone doing that in the high tech arena for decades.

Where you been at, you missing for a decade in these parts.

Token

Postby Token » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Oh, btw, Canoe...

Mozy is an old time FKO villain extraordinaire from decades past so this is a Fuck Your Day moment.

And Moz, my electric car can't reach Rancho Cordova. Sorry, I'm a hillbilly hippie redneck these days.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

You shouldn't be so sure on that knowledge part. I grew up in The industry used to walk barefooted in the sheet metal shop as a kid. But I do respect your knowledge. Just bothers me to think of somebody pissing in one of these mud bucket's and then somebody coming home late morning turn it on and breathing in piss air.

Somebody's going to end up getting sick .

This system is to stick behind the seat of a small airplane you can take it anywhere in the numbers are correct.

For me I use pine moms trick is to soak a sarong in water ring it out wrap it around your shoulders and arms and then it gets so cold you won't believe it. Keep it in my pack. Very portable.

Me I take care of my dad 24 seven moved him in here after he broke his hip and now I do everything for him. Including wiping his ass. Wife has been going to school changed her career Choice from medical getting ready to graduate next year.
Has a number of degrees lost count.

My son and I are forging some knives and doing some artwork we have a website.

If gold country is Close to Sacramento the offer for beer moonshine or whiskey was real.
~

Token

Postby Token » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Yep, I'm an hour south, 16 to 49 then sort of mid-point between Jackson and Angels Camp.

Moved myself up from LA and switched to farming part time and geeking the rest.

Maybe when it's not 110 degrees.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Sure Open invitation I'm at the end of Bradshaw where it dead ends into the American River at Highway 50.

We have AC and I'm filling the pool this week.
~

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Mozy F Bonz wrote:What everybody is seeing now is the two of them researching the science to try and prove me wrong kind of funny isn't it.

nope
The science/physics is very well known.
Which is why the limitations of that type of design are so well known.

Critiquing (attacking) those designs is usually called debunking, which isn't fair, as most of their design claims are valid. It's just that the limitations (not the least of which is the requirement for ice or very cool water) mean it's not practical. And the cooling capacity is so tiny and declining under operation that the size of area it can help with is also very limited. So no point in addressing implementation specifics and trying to make it better.
Shame, since the circulation systems and heat-exchangers are fun to engineer.
One good thing about the closed circulation implementations like yours is that - unlike swamp-coolers - they also work in high-humidity environments. But there's still that requirement for ice/cooled-water... that's a deal breaker.

If you want to understand the physics of them better so you understand the limitations better, go search for the debunking. They usually - but not always - get the physics part right.

I too am concerned about swamp-coolers and people putting other than potable water in them. A few idiots have put ice melt - mixed with food bits - from the bottom of their cooler into one. And a few have even put grey water into one... And a few even put a cap-full of bleach into the water - not just to clean it out, but while running it!!! And I have a vague recollection of a report of someone pissing into one, so there you go.
Jar Jar Sith Lord

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:03 pm

I'll be sure to piss in your mud bucket so you can get a feel for it. Don't take it personal. I didn't invent this thing it really exists and you can really stick it behind the seat of a plane and you can really cool the space. really!
They want $500 for it but what the hell. It's still real and it's commercial not consumer. There's a big difference in that. They use in an airplane so you only have to have air-conditioning in the plane the few months of the year that you need it not all year long in your plane. Sigh burners always trying to reinvent what's already been invented. Keep the mud bucket I don't care. Just don't expect me to ever stand in front of one.
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

I'll stick with my wet sarong. Thank Shelley. Sigh.... efficienty at burning man ......snickers
people take this camping trip way too seriously.
~

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Actually, I was thinking people take the laws of physics too lightly, but hey... whatever...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I would totally agree with that statement.
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Just to clarify something. At no point did I ever say this unit was as efficient in the water usage or ice usage as a swamp cooler ....that was not the point. My personal opinion is that a swamp cooler can cool much further down and have a much more efficient rate then most other cooling devices out there and with the low humidity it works very well out in the desert. Build one I don't care. I would hide it in the kids tent so somebody doesn't get the idea to piss in it. The issue that bothers me is the contamination of buckets sitting outside people's tents and then people turning those systems on and blowing that contaminated water mist into their tents.

No thank you.
~

Admiral Fukkit
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Mozy Motherfuckin' Bonz!!
Man it's great to see an eplayan/burner from the REAL days!! Dude!!!!

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Yeah, what the Admiral said!! Mozy!!!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm sorry sir I don't know any admiral fuckit a captain goddamnit maybe but ..... no fuckits
~

Admiral Fukkit
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:52 pm

It was a promotion

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Oh
~

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Don't believe him.
It's his evil good twin.
Jar Jar Sith Lord

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Are you kidding I would never believe him. Tried to tell me the man burn early one year.

I don't want to promote my website on here but if you Google my sig line you might be able to find it.
I have most of the site lock down at the moment. Nothing for sale. Completely safe. It's just me and my sons art.
And NO....there's nothing about this cooling system on there so don't look for it.
~

Mozy F Bonz

Postby Mozy F Bonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry for some of this is hard to read. I'm using speak and spell and I have a mouthful of braces you should see what it types for me .....that I must repeat just to get it close.
~

Return to “Keeping Cool”