Ratchet strap size?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Eleniontolto
Burning Since: 2014

Ratchet strap size?

Post by Eleniontolto » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:16 am

I'm building a 20x40 EMT shade structure with a low slope rather than a flat roof. I will be using the 14" lag screws approach with ratchet straps, but does anybody know how strong of ratchet straps you would need? I would assume that the smaller 1" wide straps rated for around 1500 lb breaking strength would be more than sufficient but 20x40 is quite a lot of space to catch a lot of wind so I want to be sure.

I was planning to do 1, maybe 2 ratchet strap guy lines coming off of each corner and then another single line on both sides half way down the 40 ft sides. I also plan to install 1 lag screw into each canopy foot.

I would greatly appreciate any wisdom :)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Ratchet strap size?

Post by Token » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 pm

The small straps will be fine. If a wind gusts hits it such that you get anywhere close to failure of a strap, that EMT will bend and buckle long before the strap snaps or anchor pulls.

Hard to say how many and in which location without seeing a drawing of the 20 x 40, where entry and exit points are etc.

Common sense is usually good enough.

Bring extras of everything just in case.

Return to “Keeping Cool”