3D printed parts for swampie

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
funkbomb
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Born to Roam

3D printed parts for swampie

Post by funkbomb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi, thought I would share my marginal improvement to the FIGJAM cooler.

I use a Detmar 4" bilge blower for airflow. This blower has 4 small tabs on either side of the casing that can be used for mounting, so I created a 3D-printed mount that lets me attach and remove the fan from the swampie and the 4" ducting with a simple twist.

One mount is for the top of the swampie, the other is taped to a single end of my ducting.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3577265
IMG_3247.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: 3D printed parts for swampie

Post by Popeye » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:13 pm

The 3D printing looks good but I wonder about the current draw by that blower. Specs for that 4" Blower are 12V @ 3.5A. Figjams specs are less than 2A for pump and blower. 3.5A plus pump current will limit the number of hours you can use the evap. cooler.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

funkbomb
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Born to Roam

Post by funkbomb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 pm

I tried the other fans, this is better. It’s a 240 CFM fan with far more torque than figjam’s design. It not only pulls through the evaporative material better, but pushes hot air out of the tent. It’s the kind of motor used in RC airplanes. I used it on the playa last year and had quite a chilly tent. A small solar system powers it fine all day. Most people’s issues with not getting their swampie to work is with lack of proper airflow. You need a fan that can really move air or there’s no point to any of it. Anyway the black knob on top is a PWM speed control so I can dial in the power draw to the most efficient level.

I also have a float switch and relay installed that will turn off the motor once the water drops too low, but maybe thats for another post.

ryfi
Burning Since: 2019

Post by ryfi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Heck yeah. This is perfect! Thanks for sharing it! Was looking for a higher CFM fan, this seems as good as any. And this way, you did all the hard work already :)

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Cool mod. Question, are you mounting the fan on top of the bucket lid? So the fan unit is on the exterior?
Or mounted internally inside the bucket? Thanks

burnomatic
Burning Since: 2015

Post by burnomatic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am

Nice job. More CFM definitely gets better results.

One thing you may want to check on is the diameter and placement of cooler pad material. I had a similar situation and realized two problems. First, reduced airflow since you are primarily drawing through a small part of the cooler pad. And more problematically, water leaking through the pad material out the side of bucket. It wasn't a problem at home, but the water lines shifted a bit on the trip out and slouched a bit after some use.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:15 pm

(Nevermind I can see the photo now, thanks!)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:16 am

Looks good, but you might want to avoid the insulation on the ducting. The insulation can be MOOPy, the fatter pipe can be a pain to position, and generally won't improve the performance much.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Keeping Cool”