The Pier 2

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: The Pier 2

Post by lucky420 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 pm

When I read about the Pier 2, the first thing I thought was PIRATES!!

The first thing I thought about was making out under the boardwalk :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm

lucky420 wrote:

Did that, had a lovely Sunday night date sitting at the end of the Pier, watched the Temple burn from it, got drunk on & under it... yeah- so how am I supposed to not have expectations next year?
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Eric wrote:
lucky420 wrote:

Did that, had a lovely Sunday night date sitting at the end of the Pier, watched the Temple burn from it, got drunk on & under it... yeah- so how am I supposed to not have expectations next year?

Does this have a story that ends in broken ribs?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 pm

lucky420 wrote:

Eric wrote: Did that, had a lovely Sunday night date sitting at the end of the Pier, watched the Temple burn from it, got drunk on & under it... yeah- so how am I supposed to not have expectations next year?
junglesmacks wrote:
He's a vegetarian.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:31 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Eric wrote:Did that, had a lovely Sunday night date sitting at the end of the Pier, watched the Temple burn from it, got drunk on & under it... yeah- so how am I supposed to not have expectations next year?

That date was on Saturday night, but the "lovely" and "drunk" parts were definitely involved. Fractured, not broken; no need to be overly dramatic (I say 6 weeks later, now that I can finally sleep without the vicodins...)

And Fishy- I have no problems with meat that agrees to be eaten... :shock:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 am

Eric wrote:And Fishy- I have no problems with meat that agrees to be eaten... :shock:

Ya know.. I was just gonna say..

Good to hear about the healing.. I still can't even imagine being a witness to said fracture. My knees would buckle.

deutlich
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Post by deutlich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 pm

lucky420 wrote:

Ooooh....I could go for some o'that. Gonna have to find me a partna in crime.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:06 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Good to hear about the healing.. I still can't even imagine being a witness to said fracture. My knees would buckle.
I didn't even realize it had happened, and I'm pretty sure he didn't either. Certainly no-one else noticed. A hug gone very wrong behind the bar, then me serving more drinks & making out with said boy. It was around 4 or 5am and I most certainly wasn't any kind of sober, so I didn't feel it until I woke up the next morning.

Boy howdy did I feel it. Luckily, staying drunk kept the pain suppressed until I got home...

Eric ShutterSlut

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Ah, the Shutterslut Guide to Health, First Edition.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Reno decompression party this Saturday 10/15/2011. 4th street downtown at The Underground.

fbcota and some of The Pier and The Pier 2 team will be there, we hope to see you there! :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

BurningDaylight
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Post by BurningDaylight » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 am

The Pier was one of my favorites this (last?) year. And, of course, Pier 2 sounds awesome. And right on the Esplanade was great. What about a deep playa placement? Along with the Pier 2 modifications, this would really give it a whole different feel. It might be seen by fewer, but have that stumbled-upon-by-accident art experience.

Also, I'll be spreading the rumor about did you see that pier thing out there? Some drunk guy in a ship art car ran into it and just left it there.
Just up or still up?

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I was thinking about placement today and to tell the truth I think we will just let the org decide this time. I loved it on the Esplinade, it would be cool in the deep playa. So, we will see :)

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Ok, here is an early sketch Image

And we are thinking of loosely basing it off of this ship: http://www.modelships.de/Schebecke/Bild ... ebecke.htm

I'm not sure if I touched on the depth of the story telling idea, we are going to basically build a deep story about the life of the ship and the people on it through the decorations and props. We are working on a "history" for the ship, with crew journals detailing their exploits, personalities and conflicts with other crew members. Each bunk and room will have little trinkets and keepsakes meant to open up the lives of the crew. Maps of adventure, collected items from those trips. The idea is the more someone explores the more this overarching drama is exposed.

Thoughts? :)

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:51 pm

My thought is that you are god-like.

Bra-fucking-vo, my good man. Bravo.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Love it.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Wellll...can we burn it this time? If yes, then we're going to need a lot of decomposed granite and some heavy equipment to round the segments of the pier around it, and then torch it all! (I know you wanna fbcota) Oh yea, we'd also need heavy equipment to clean the D.G. up and haul it to the landfill. I know, I'm putting the cart before the horse...

Okay, so we need a BUNCH of props, funds and hands on help....a BUNCH! When do we start?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Burn It? ! The Pier deserves far better.

Late in the week and shortly after dark, the Galleon is flanked by two frigates. (OK Mutant Vehicles that look like boats). They begin to fire across her bow as they wish to board and loot the Galleon. Quietly, out of the darkness, comes the Nautilus. ( I understand that it will be returning in 2012). The Nautilus brings all tubes to bear and fires volley after volley of torpedoes. The first frigate turns tail and runs as it is no match for the submarine. As the Nautilus positions herself to fire at the second frigate, all Hell breaks loose. The second frigate puts a round into the powder room of the Galleon. The ensuing explosion destroys the Galleon and the Pier burns in the fire that follows. It would be an epic sea battle, brought to you by the creators of the Pier and Black Rock FX.

And yes, it would take a whole bunch of DG, money and people.....but it would be glorious!
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Holy shit, that's pure genius! Forget just another burn. If it's going down.. do it in full theatrics!! A fully staged battle complete with mini explosions and fire fire FIRE!

Yes yes yes yes yes and more yes!

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Ooooh, Dustdevil....you're a new team member, you can write a gooood story!!

(It's maybe cheaper to burn it, than it is to haul it away and yea, more glorious to burn it!)

We gonna need a lot of munny, props, artists, hands on help and writers.

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Actaully I wasn't thinking mini explosions, I was thinking about horizontal mines and 2oz concussion mortars, for openers....

One of our team members has some really loud, rapid fire, devices that could be mounted on the decks of the frigates.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Dustdevil wrote:Actaully I wasn't thinking mini explosions, I was thinking about horizontal mines and 2oz concussion mortars, for openers....

One of our team members has some really loud, rapid fire, devices that could be mounted on the decks of the frigates.
But as the mortars hit in the heat of battle? I could see nice little mini mushroom cloud explosions going up.

You guys got this. Run with it...

Tiahaar
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Dustdevil wrote:Burn It? ! The Pier deserves far better...
It would be an epic sea battle, brought to you by the creators of the Pier and Black Rock FX.
And yes, it would take a whole bunch of DG, money and people.....but it would be glorious!
Oh you're gonna hafta hold a Large perimeter for this one aren't you...I'll help :D

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Dustdevil wrote:Actaully I wasn't thinking mini explosions, I was thinking about horizontal mines and 2oz concussion mortars, for openers....

But as the mortars hit in the heat of battle? I could see nice little mini mushroom cloud explosions going up.

You guys got this. Run with it...
Mushroom cloud explosions like these? We did this effect with 6" mines. They can be downsized for warning shots across the bow and then we would use several much larger mines, (10") from the deck of the Galleon when the final shot takes her out.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Tiahaar wrote:
Dustdevil wrote:Burn It? ! The Pier deserves far better...
It would be an epic sea battle, brought to you by the creators of the Pier and Black Rock FX.
Oh you're gonna hafta hold a Large perimeter for this one aren't you...I'll help :D
Yeah, I may have to volunteer for that as well.

Do we all wear pirate outfits?

Eric ShutterSlut

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 am

Dustdevil has been coming up with some pretty awesome ideas. However there is one little hitch, we arn't burning the boat. There is WAAAAAA AAA A A AAAAAAY to much work going into that thing for it to burn. Plan for the boat is to actually have it live somewhere in the Defaulta. No, not burning it. I know it would be super cool, but not burning it.

However, Pier is going to get blown the fuck up!!! Dustdevil one of our guys is planning to contact you to chat burny burn. Ohh, and yes, we will need a big giant perimeter with lots of people to stand around and look important and kinda giggle while we toast to the death of The Pier. I love the naval battle idea. Some of the crew were talking about trying to make a tidal wave of fireworks, chew on that one :).

The burn is either going to be absolute firey madness or something much more subdued. Considering we need to raise like $50k-60k the burn is still in Dream About it until someone says, "Here is $10,000 to burn that giant ramp stage.

Ohh, I really want a long series of fireballs somewhere in there with sizemic charges. Imagine a 300 foot line of sizemic charges rocking the entire playa followed by 15 fireballs exploding down the length of the Pier!!!

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 am

fbcota wrote:Dustdevil has been coming up with some pretty awesome ideas. However there is one little hitch, we arn't burning the boat. There is WAAAAAA AAA A A AAAAAAY to much work going into that thing for it to burn. Plan for the boat is to actually have it live somewhere in the Defaulta. No, not burning it. I know it would be super cool, but not burning it.

However, Pier is going to get blown the fuck up!!! Dustdevil one of our guys is planning to contact you to chat burny burn. Ohh, and yes, we will need a big giant perimeter with lots of people to stand around and look important and kinda giggle while we toast to the death of The Pier. I love the naval battle idea. Some of the crew were talking about trying to make a tidal wave of fireworks, chew on that one :).

Ohh, I really want a long series of fireballs somewhere in there with sizemic charges. Imagine a 300 foot line of sizemic charges rocking the entire playa followed by 15 fireballs exploding down the length of the Pier!!!
I was aware that the Galleon was not to be burned, but if you don't ask, (or suggest), the answer is uaually going to be NO.

While a tidal wave of fireworks is not practical for several reasons, I have developed something I call the Tsunami of Fire. We have completed the design and we will begin testing this year. It is being built for a large Burning Man project that is scheduled to appear in 2014. The project will rival Crude Awakening and the special effects will be equally as awesome. I estimate the effect to use 3000 gallons of fuel and will be fired from 1000 mines of various sizes.

Fifteen fireballs sounds a little light. We used 32 for the close of the FLG show this year. I would suggest 90 fireballs, (aka gas mines or ghost mines). Space them 10 feet apart and fire three ques of 30 mines each to start the Pier burn. Did you have a particular color for the fireballs along the length of the Pier? My suggestion would be orange/yellow, hydrocarbon flames. The siesmic charges are not a problem. We call those concussion mortars.

I would start recruiting the perimeter people now. You will need a 250-300' radius. The perimeter will require one person every 25' along the outer circumference.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Dustdevil wrote:I would start recruiting the perimeter people now. You will need a 250-300' radius. The perimeter will require one person every 25' along the outer circumference.
FB, have your volunteer coordinator put me down as "officially volunteering" for your perimeter, and make sure they remind me what I volunteered for next July or August!

Eric ShutterSlut

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 am

You guys are funny, volunteer cordinators :P.

Eric: Will do. We are still in the planning and find money stages and we should be rolling on this thing by January if all goes well.

Dustdevil: Good point :P. when I was thinking fireballs I kinda thought it would be fun to have them along the lines of mushroom clouds. Although 90 fireballs sound pretty fun. I really want big loud bangs and ground pounding thuds more then anything else. But who knows what the rest of the team is thinking. A number of the guys and gals are pretty excited about the burn so I am sure they have some ideas of their own. Man, a Tsunami of fire would be pretty awesome. Ok, ok, need to focus. Need to build a giant ship first,.... err pull money out of thin air to fund it.

Anyone know any rich people who would like to donate large sums (or small sums) of money, space, smiles etc,...?

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 am

Yesh yesh yesh.... Because I plan on having my whole camp out there with my el wire shark fins! Do it!!!!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I would really love if people just made Pier 2 their own and created their own events, gatherings, shows etc on and around it. It was so amazing watching it grow, but now people will be ready for it (mostly, the boat will probably stop people in their tracks). As such, we would love to have more big events at it. I think the Hippie Fishing Derby was a wash, and the Fire night never really happened. But the Black Rock Regatta was amazing, we are definitely doing a 2nd annual.

So please, get the whole camp out their with shark fins. Bring fishing rods, and bait. Have a deep sea scuba party in the ship. Get Daft Punk to play at it. Have a bike jousting competition (this one is a joke, wink wink, nudge nudge. I am in no way endorsing this, its a horrible idea that people will get hurt doing :twisted: )

Return to “2012 Art & Performance”