Crochet Art Project

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Crochet Art Project

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 am

I really like this project and as an added bonus since I am camped 20 feet away - it will make a great landmark for telling folks how to find my camp.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 am

AntiM wrote:I'm pathetic, I thought it was a turd.

But a beautifully crafted turd. Don't shit on the playa!
I'm right there with ya. Had the exact same thoughts.
Is it really that obvious that I'm not very familiar with that activity??

Everything looks wonderful VultureChow!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 am

Oh so close and panicking so hard.

Moop is finished except that I need to stitch in the ends of the feathers, add logos to the Mal-Wart bags and make some more pot.

Otherwise I have(These are examples. I have more of everything except the condoms:
Shrooms Image Condoms (a personal request from our receptionist) Image
Cigarette Butts Image and band-aids Image

Bad news is I'm short some granny squares, so I probably wont have time to finish as many gifts as I had planned while I make up the deficit. But three are completely done and packed, and the fourth is 75% done.

Good news is that a friend was able to cut the posts for me so I have 6 two foot long sections that come to a point, just like the aluminum military tent stakes. They are punched with holes, and I got the right nuts and bolts, so the 2' section gets pounded in about 18 inches and the 4' section gets bolted in. This thing isn't going anywhere in the wind. Tried them yesterday in my parents' yard. Worked like a charm. Plus the 2 and 4 footers fit in my tent pole bag, so I won't have to worry about finding them in Reno. Already packed.
Sic Semper Spectatores

BurningDaylight
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Post by BurningDaylight » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 am

VultureChow wrote: so I probably wont have time to finish as many gifts as I had planned
Are you kidding? The installation itself is a gift. This is hilarious.
Just up or still up?

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:40 am

Vulturecrow, you have no idea how happy it makes me to see your project come alive.
It's amazing!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am

This is great - glad I'm camping just a few feet away from it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:51 am

You've been gifting us for weeks!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am

I love the way the curling and arrangement of the band aids int hat picture make them look like a sexy pin up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 am

Holy cow Fishy! :shock:

I totally see it too.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 am

love that i get to wake up to this every morning when i crawl out of my tent. will for sure bring a smile to my face. i mean who am i kidding i will be at bm so i will be smiling but this is flipping awesome!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 am

lazerfox wrote:Holy cow Fishy! :shock:

I totally see it too.
I see it, but it has now morphed into bugs bunny when he dressed in drag:

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. I can't wait to put the whole thing together when I get there.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 am

BurningDaylight wrote:
Are you kidding? The installation itself is a gift. This is hilarious.
Thanks so much for this. I was trying to explain more about BM to my mom. Now she's actually googling it and sending me videos and articles. Like I haven't been planning this for almost a year.

I explained about the gift culture, and she asked me what I was going to gift. Aside from surplus food and drink, and maybe a few extra scarves, I don't really have anything. When I spoke to her yesterday, I told her my project was my gift.

Now she's emailing everyone she knows with pictures of the project. It's funny, it started out as a silly project, but now I have a lot of pride in it. So much so that I was actually a little upset when her emails referred to it as my "art" IN QUOTES. It's not "art". It's art. I guess this is how pretentious artists are born.
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

VultureChow wrote:Now she's emailing everyone she knows with pictures of the project. It's funny, it started out as a silly project, but now I have a lot of pride in it. So much so that I was actually a little upset when her emails referred to it as my "art" IN QUOTES. It's not "art". It's art. I guess this is how pretentious artists are born.
No, that's how honest people who are in touch with their creative side are born. "Art" in quotes with capital As is far more the mark of the pretentious. Thinking you're better than other people because you do art is another.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 pm

I saw the crochet trash fence on-playa, VultureChow, and it looked great! I called out for you but I guess you were off having an adventure. I think my favorite bit of crochet moop was the condoms, but the overall idea/impression was the best! Thanks for your fun art.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks. I never even got all the moop up. I somehow got distracted by EVERYTHING ELSE.

Drawingablank adopted it.
Sic Semper Spectatores

cankaya
Burning Since: 1990
Camp Name: marychit

Crochet Art Project

Post by cankaya » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Im sorry i didnt mean to its just the place i did want to post i couldnt access the folder and since this was an active topic today i thought id take my shance and grab your attention

thanks again

oh and your art work is really good.
i hope to post my showcase soon

BurningDaylight
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Post by BurningDaylight » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Your crochet fence was one of the highlights of a very dusty year. I was as excited to see it as I was some of the other large scale art on the playa. Afterwards, I noticed several other camps that had actual orange construction fencing and I always, just for a split second, thought "oh, there it is!"

I'll never look at another orange fence the same. Fun meeting you, if only briefly.
Just up or still up?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Can someone please post a picture of it. I never saw it, but did hear great things.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:20 am

I started unpacking and hanging this beautiful art project at default home last night. So far I have 2 sections up, but since I want to savor all that dust will probably take my time getting it all put together. I will post pics here as it progresses.

Note: the construction crap is not part of fence, but you can see some of the dust that came off this on the blacktop in the foreground.

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:38 am

Drawingablank wrote:I started unpacking and hanging this beautiful art project at default home last night. So far I have 2 sections up, but since I want to savor all that dust will probably take my time getting it all put together. I will post pics here as it progresses.

Note: the construction crap is not part of fence, but you can see some of the dust that came off this on the blacktop in the foreground.
Wow... It took me half a minute and a few gulps of coffee to realize that this was the actual piece of artwork. I kept wondering what on Earth you were posting, a tribute to the crochet trash fence, your own fencing put up for nostalgia? I had to go back up the thread and see that you adopted it!

Very, very cool - I wish I had been there to see it!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way "art" > art > Art

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 am

I guess I should have made that clear. This is Vulture Chow's original crochet trash fence which was on display at 3:50 and G this year.

I was thrilled to be in a position to save it from the land fill, and to have a place to display it here in defaultia. I will be happy to entertain any eplayans who wish to visit it once I have it all reassembled and attach the rest of the crochet moop.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Ken and I found it on playa (not hard since it was around the corner lol) and the whole thing was fabulous. I had to stand there and have a moment. Thank you for bringing it!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Wow. Thanks guys. And thanks Drawingablank for adopting it and posting it. I didn't think it would ever be that clean again.

I took a few crappy photos of it set up at camp. When I find them I'll post them.

I learned alot about what will work and won't out there, and have some ideas for next year.

I can't wait to create more art.

Never thought I'd say that.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 am

I have finally finished photographing the crochet trash fence in its new environment. I have created a gallery page which includes a bunch of closeups on my web site at http://grasshoppernight.org/2012fence.php. I would like to add some photos of the original installation on the playa if anyone has some to share with the world.

Any burners living in or visiting the New York Metro area are welcome to come see it in person as well. Maybe we can have a party by the trash fence.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 am

I'm loving the photos! Thank you for the closeups, Drawingablank, and for taking care of it.

VultureChow, you really outdid yourself . . . and as a virgin! *boggle*

This will always be a favorite art piece of mine, even though I was too distracted by the M&G to even think to ask to see it in person. :( (I think I still imagined it was actually going to be out somewhere at the trash fence!)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

MacGlenver
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 am

I didnt get to see it at the burn, so thank you for the pics. When i read about the project pre-burn, somehow i didnt realize you'd also be making pieces of trash to go on it. I love it :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 am

Drawingablank wrote:Maybe we can have a party by the trash fence.
*snort!*
The Lady with a Lamprey

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 am

BurningDaylight has sent me a couple of pics from the playa to share.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Nice piece, I love the stuff that fits in a small truck or just a suitcase.

Next logical step would be crocheting a mantel for a 6x scale Coleman lantern.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “2012 Art & Performance”