SF shipping container / cargo space?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
gwillen
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Cydonia

SF shipping container / cargo space?

Post by gwillen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 am

Does anything like NYC Container go from SF, or is it so close that nobody bothers?

My camp (Cydonia) is considering our options for getting some of our gear from the SF Bay area to the playa. We're down a couple of drivers from past years (because of the ticket situation), and we anticipate we may have some trouble getting our crap there and back again.

Presuming there is no big stuff-moving project (like NYC Container), we're hoping we can rent some container space from a larger camp/village that has some to spare. It's early days yet, but I'd estimate our upper bound at something like eight bins, 70-ish quart size (like these guys: or about 25-30 cubic feet. (We'd also love space for two or three already-assembled bikes, but I know those are inconvenient to move, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.)

Anybody think they might have space for us? :-) (Or know of an SF container project I missed?)

<3!

gwillen

Re: SF shipping container / cargo space?

Post by gwillen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:11 am

Oh dear, I left off the largest item: One hexayurt! (~4'x8'x1', i.e. 32 cubic feet) It is, of course, separable from the rest of the crap. I don't know how I could forget, I'm pretty excited about it -- this will be my first time staying in a yurt.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Giving this a nudge to Share Resources, since essentially what you're trying to organize is a rideshare for gear haulage.

There is no public container (and corresponding container camp) in SF, but many different projects do ship gear out via container. Finding something would likely be a matter of networking with other camps and finding someone who'd be interested in either splitting one with you or that had space in the container they've already arranged. You may also want to consider renting a cargo van or small box truck (not that expensive when splitting the costs among campmates), though you'd probably need to book soonish. Good luck!

gwillen

Post by gwillen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Aha! Thanks for the nudge. :-) Indeed, we're considering our options for van and truck rentals, too.

Return to “2012 Share Resources”