"Success Rate" Of Hitch-Hiking From BRC ? (To Reno?)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
mentalfloss
Burning Since: 2014

"Success Rate" Of Hitch-Hiking From BRC ? (To Reno?)

Postby mentalfloss » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:35 am

I am interested in hearing opinions or any experience from anyone, about hitch-hiking from Black Rock City [BRC] at the end of Burning Man [BM]

there are stories about people hitching rides going to BRC but less about people hitchhiking out.

- which is the best time and day to avoid Exodus queues ? ( i was planning to be out there, ~6am Sunday)

- are people receptive to hitchhikers, in general, and will i find rides "quickly" or will i have to be prepared to wait for a few hours? (there will be 2 of us, with some luggage, and we want to go to Reno to try and catch a 2pm flight)

- is there a common area for hitchhikers to wait and get noticed, or will i need to walk all the way to the road/highway?

- any other tips? (e.g. safety? body odours? etc.)

I apologize, if this is not the right Forum for this kind of query.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: "Success Rate" Of Hitch-Hiking From BRC ? (To Reno?)

Postby AntiM » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:09 am

6 am Sunday for a 2 pm flight? To be blunt: good fucking luck. One, it is not easy to get rides, there are MANY hitchhikers. Some drivers have room, some do not, and some don't go into Reno at all, or don't want to detour to the airport. Second, the Sunday exodus can be as bad as Monday. Can be a breeze. If it rains or there is an Amber Alert, the Gate closes. Third, you need a couple hours to clean up and de-dust your luggage. The airlines take a dim view of playa dust.

You might need to leave Saturday, get a room for the night so you can clean up, and be fresh for your flight on Sunday.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

mentalfloss
Burning Since: 2014

Postby mentalfloss » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:00 am

AntiM wrote:6 am Sunday for a 2 pm flight? To be blunt: good fucking luck.

wow,...you don't rate my chances, even starting at 6am on a Sunday ? :shock:

more the reason, to take the Burner Express bus from BRC to Reno (US$ 75) or BRC to San Francisco (US$ 100) **

AntiM wrote:One, it is not easy to get rides, there are MANY hitchhikers. Some drivers have room, some do not, and some don't go into Reno at all, or don't want to detour to the airport. Second, the Sunday exodus can be as bad as Monday.

my only experience has been from 2014, where Exodus on the Monday, wasn't too bad.
just a few hours, while being entertained in the queue and everything went by smoothly.

the way into the 2014 'burn,...oh. no. never. do. i. want. repeat. that. again.
26+ hours waiting in the car, while waiting for the Playa ground to dry out.

AntiM wrote: Can be a breeze. If it rains or there is an Amber Alert, the Gate closes. Third, you need a couple hours to clean up and de-dust your luggage. The airlines take a dim view of playa dust.

yes, i read about a girl going missing, a couple of years ago,...and everyone was stuck in Exodus for 12 - 16 hours (?).

** and of course, on the chance it rains,...then nobody moves...not even that Burner Express bus, right?
( i just find that price a bit expensive, if it's US$ 100 for a 6+ hour ride from San Francisco but US$ 75 for a 2+ hour ride from Reno , but that's another gripe of mine...and why i wanted to hitchhike, as coming from the southern hemisphere for Eclipse & BM is denting the finances )

AntiM wrote:You might need to leave Saturday, get a room for the night so you can clean up, and be fresh for your flight on Sunday.
the good news is, the flight has not been booked.
if the picture you paint, is grim, i.e. to attempt to leave on Sunday morning for a Sunday night flight is "good luck" wish,...then i can look at booking a Monday 5am flight from Reno, but still attempt to wait it out from Sunday morning. surely, a 18+ hour window would yield some success, right? :D

as for freshening up the self and the luggage, before the flight,...i could stock up on enough baby-wipes :lol:

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 am

mentalfloss wrote:
AntiM wrote:6 am Sunday for a 2 pm flight? To be blunt: good fucking luck.

wow,...you don't rate my chances, even starting at 6am on a Sunday ? :shock:

Hitch-hiking at 6AM on Sunday? Yeah, I don't think so. Generally, I'd expect anyone who decides to hitch-hike shouldn't expect to be at a given place at a specific time.

my only experience has been from 2014, where Exodus on the Monday, wasn't too bad.
just a few hours, while being entertained in the queue and everything went by smoothly.

The time of day on Monday can make a considerable difference. If you leave at like 2PM or something the lines are way shorter because so many people have already left. Regardless, I wouldn't assume anything on your prior experiences, and instead prepare.

I mean hell, last year there was some "Amber Alert" that stopped gate traffic outright for many hours during exodus. It's unpredictable. I would probably give yourself a day to get to the airport, or better yet secure a ride beforehand. Hell, I usually try to leave my house to go to the airport about 2-3 hours before my flights, and that's in a city driving on the highway a shorter distance than it is to from Playa to Reno.

** and of course, on the chance it rains,...then nobody moves...not even that Burner Express bus, right?
( i just find that price a bit expensive, if it's US$ 100 for a 6+ hour ride from San Francisco but US$ 75 for a 2+ hour ride from Reno , but that's another gripe of mine...and why i wanted to hitchhike, as coming from the southern hemisphere for Eclipse & BM is denting the finances )

Let me get this straight. You're spending about, what, $1000 for tickets alone to attend TWO festivals in the span of two weeks, arriving from the southern hemisphere, and you're choosing to cheap out on the transportation aspect for BOTH of them? Have you done any real planning at all?

if the picture you paint, is grim, i.e. to attempt to leave on Sunday morning for a Sunday night flight is "good luck" wish,...then i can look at booking a Monday 5am flight from Reno, but still attempt to wait it out from Sunday morning. surely, a 18+ hour window would yield some success, right? :D

Better than a half-assed 8-hour window by any means.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 am

I have been through 16 Exoduses. Exodusii. Whatever. From one which went straight to the pavement on a Monday (the year everyone bailed early? A dust year?) to excruciating 12 hour waits which began with the lines backing up onto the radial streets, the one constant is NOT ONE TIME HAS IT BEEN THE SAME. Pulsing and a wider road really help, but still, count on six hours to the pavement. Could be less, could be a lot more.

As for clean up, your luggage will be dusty as hell too.

Do not cheap out on transportation if you have a flight.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”