Car Care

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Jeannie Ginx
Burning Since: 2021

Car Care

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 am

Hey everyone, I did a search for car care and I seem to just find care for your bike.

2021 will be my first burning man. I've been researching on youtube of all places :) . great vids btw.

I've seen lots of folks tape up the cracks in their cars and cover their exhaust after they park.
Are their any care supplies that I should consider taking, like extra air filter small tank of gas water for radiator etc.

I've also seen folks cover the windows with shiny insulation fabric stuff. I did see one person put a furnace air filter in a window in case they wanted fresh air and not dust.

any advice would be great. Thanks

Love
J
Normal is boring. Don't be boring.
Love

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Car Care

Post by Bless » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Another pro tip: Google eplaya and whatever you're looking for. It's much better than the eplaya search function.

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=29490
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm

A lot of our car care advice can be found by searching for various combinations of dust, rental, car, RV.

If you run the blower with outside air, the dust will get into the ventilation system for all eternity. The dust smells like ammonia. I would tape over the external vent inlet on the hood before entering the playa.

One burner tip is to have a clean set of clothes to drive home in. Another is to cover the windows once you have parked on the outside with camping mylar "space blankets" cut to exact size with scissors and held in place continuously all around the edge with 2" wide blue painter's tape. The regular beige tape has adhesive that turns into concrete when it is baked in the sun for 1 week.

A consideration as we get closer to the burn is offering a ride share. There are 80,000 people at the event and I think 28,000 vehicle passes. So at least 2 people per car is a plus. So you might take that into account in planning your load. You can meet potential ride shares through your regionals. It is a good idea to camp with or very near to your rider to make coordination outbound smooth.

Gwally is the classic NW route guide, there are probably more. http://octopup.org/burning-man/info/routes. It is a little longer, but the Summer Lake Hot Springs is a popular place to camp inbound and outbound wash off the dust.

The gift we have traveling from the NW is less road congestion coming in the back way from North of Gerlach. You want as full a tank of gas as you can have to get to and from the event without going into Gerlach. There are several water fill up or store-bought options closer to the event.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jeannie Ginx
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm

thank
Normal is boring. Don't be boring.
Love

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:19 am

The first question is do you have a nice car, or a shitbox.
The nicer it is, the less you want to bring it out there.
That isn’t just harmless dust that just washes off, it’s corrosive like salt.
I screwed up a few nice trucks taking them to BM.
Never again... not worth it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”