BRC on a motorcycle

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Paors
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Insomnia

BRC on a motorcycle

Post by Paors » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:57 am

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about riding down to BRC this year, and was wondering if anyone could provide some input and BTDT's. Did a quick search, the only thread I found was 6 years old, wonder if anything changed since then from a legal standpoint - I saw a quite decent number of riders on playa last year. Lane-splitting still legal on gate road?

Pretty much the only question I have is about any long term technical problems after-playa I should be aware of - wheel bearings, seals, cables, corrosion, paint problems, whatever. I'm used to long rides, been riding all over the world for about 20 years and burning for 8, do my own wrench work, just wonder if it's worth it to ride all the way to the camp. I ride a 2011 BMW R1200RT, if it matters. Would love any input.

Kosta, Insomnia, 7:45 & I, Vancouver, BC

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: BRC on a motorcycle

Post by tatonka » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:02 am

Brought my 98 Harley Sportster there in 2015 , was not as comfortable as my camper ") The bike now has 95,850 miles and planning on a 40 day ride in 2020 with it . Just cleaned the bike when I got back ( several times ) .
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 am

You got the right bike.

You got the experience.

If you have a way to get you’re big heavy items to camp via friends and camp mates ...

You are golden.

Just remember when lane-splitting ... it will be controversial but the laws are on the books. Own it.

And be very mindful of RVs, and the increased possibility of folks opening the living quarter doors at all/any time.

Go for it! If you can do a slow ride down and camp along the way - bonus!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 am

Is it legal in Nevada? For the longest time California was the only state with it on the books. Personally, I would smile and wave at a bike passing me up 'off the pavement' on our way to the gate. Not everyone would be so happy. You aren't even allowed to change lanes once traffic stops.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:47 am

Ratty wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 am
Is it legal in Nevada? For the longest time California was the only state with it on the books. Personally, I would smile and wave at a bike passing me up 'off the pavement' on our way to the gate. Not everyone would be so happy. You aren't even allowed to change lanes once traffic stops.
Sheesh, yeah , CA only.

NV allows Lane Sharing but that is different.

Thanks R!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:00 pm

GP&E has said repeatedly over the years that motorcycles can lane split on Gate Road (yes, they go to the front of the line), as they're not equipped to idle for hours in the sun.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Paors
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Insomnia

Post by Paors » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks guys - should be fun, sounds like it. Not too worried about going in, I have to be there on build week Tuesday, but wonder how it works in exodus with pulsing and merging back. Is it ok to use burner express lane?

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:05 am

I’m a bit jealous but I’d have no problem with someone cruising by me slowly on a bike in exodus. If you can make it to cedarville the north route is awesome. It would be a blast on a bike.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 am

Exodus can be a foot of loose dust. You will probably be on the shoulder trying to stay upright.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”