Two random PacNW questions

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Two random PacNW questions

Post by pedroescobar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:13 am

Anyone from Seattle do the drive east to avoid Portland? Last year we had a late start so the traffic heading south wasn’t so bad but we will be leaving Seattle area at 3pm on Thursday and figure hitting Portland around 6 is bad. How are the roads heads south out of Yakima? I’m hoping. To get to Klamath falls and sleep RV for a bit.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Two random PacNW questions

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:33 am

I would find it hard to believe that the extra time to travel through scenic Eastern Washington would be less time than 5-205-5.
Obviously getting out of Seattle earlier helps with Seattle and Olympia traffic. You have a lot of flexibility with an RV on where you sleep.
If you are over in E Oregon, and you have half a day for a stop, Summer Lake Hot Springs will be filled with burners.
I like to drive the open range of 447 in daylight in case some cattle are napping on the roadway.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Same here, can’t see saving time going all the way out through Yakima.
Sometimes I’ll go to the rest stop on I-5 just before HWY 58 in Eugene for the night.
If I’m leaving Seattle in the afternoon I’ll just get to Portland, then leave early in the morning from there. That lets you get easily to Cedarville, CA.
Overnighting In Cedarville works great. The town has learned to cater to the burners passing through and everything you need is there, plus good food.
The big advantage to stopping overnight there, that most traveling burners don’t calculate in their plans, is you arrive at the gates rested up rather than after a long day traveling. You can be in the gate line for many hours. Possible eight or more depending on certain things. That really, really sucks when you’ve already been driving all day.

I’ve also left Seattle early in the morning and bombed all the way there, but that was a long time ago before the big gate lines and before you needed a pass to get in early.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 pm

We left a rest stop north of Eugene at 6am on about 2.5 hours of sleep last year and made it to Gate Road at 5. I’m hoping to flip that this year and do the bulk of the driving on day one. It is about 30 miles different to use the Yakima route from what google maps shows. When I pulled it up yesterday it was almost the exact same amount of time (10 min different). I like the idea of I5 route as it is easy, but hitting Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia/JBLM traffic just worries me.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 pm

The Yakima route is certainly more pleasant. I do hate I-5 and 205.
If you have to go at traffic time the eastern route would be less sucky at any rate.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 pm

I used to drive down from Portland. From Seattle you could take 97 all the way down to Klamath Falls. But I'd probably just take I-5 down to 58, then 97 into Klamath Falls. Portland is the only major city anyway, and it's not terrible to pierce through on 5 unless there's a bridge lift. You'll make up the difference in easy access to gas stations (remember you can't pump yourself in OR) and food, whereas the rural route is beautiful but white knuckle if your rig doesn't get 300 miles per tank. Especially after 9pm because the gas stations close and you can't pump.

evathedefiler
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Tacoma is for Lovers

Post by evathedefiler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:38 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:33 am
I would find it hard to believe that the extra time to travel through scenic Eastern Washington would be less time than 5-205-5.
Obviously getting out of Seattle earlier helps with Seattle and Olympia traffic. You have a lot of flexibility with an RV on where you sleep.
If you are over in E Oregon, and you have half a day for a stop, Summer Lake Hot Springs will be filled with burners.
I like to drive the open range of 447 in daylight in case some cattle are napping on the roadway.
This is how our camp does it. First day long until we hit Summer Lakes. Food, showers, hot springs, and sleep. The next day isn’t usually very long. I vote well rested for hitting the last couple grades into Gerlach but I drive a skoolie.
Poke it with a stick!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”