Best Driving Route from Spokane, WA

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
heatherlou
Burning Since: 2011

Best Driving Route from Spokane, WA

Post by heatherlou » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi All..
Not sure if this is the best place for this post....Looking for some driving route tips. It's been a few years since I last drove down to the playa from the North. Passing through Spokane, what is faster (for a slow moving camper van!): 1) staying on the 395 down through Burns to Valley Falls or 2) taking the 97 through Bend to Valley Falls? I remember the drive through Bend being really hilly and windy....just can't remember the 395 route so well.
Thanks for your help :)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Best Driving Route from Spokane, WA

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Most people on 97 go to K-Falls for big box shopping and motels. Not sure 97 would divert to Valley Falls.
97 has more services and emergency services. 395 has Summer Lake Hot Springs, a burner campout for a fee. 97 has Goldendale attractions, 395 has John Day/Mitchel attractions.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

heatherlou
Burning Since: 2011

Post by heatherlou » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm don't want to go as far west as Kettle Falls...but I agree the 97 has way more services...

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm

It used to be that the BMORG would publish a list of businesses in towns along the way for supplies. I think that is replaced by Yelp today. You have to go through John Day on 395. If you have not seen it, the Cam Wah Chung museum is special. Lakeview has a Safeyway. Alturas and Cedarville have some small groceries. There have to be some Walleymarts on that route. Enjoy traveling!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:50 pm

heatherlou wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Thanks for the info! I'm don't want to go as far west as Kettle Falls...but I agree the 97 has way more services...
I think he meant "Klamath Falls" not Kettle Falls. THAT would be way outta the way. I do US 97 to La Pine then Oregon SR 31 to Summer Lake Hot Springs for an overnight stay and soak. From there to Lakeview, OR, Cedarville, CA, Gerlach, NV. Lots of services in Lakeview (Safeway) and Cedarville.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”