2019 Arrival / Traffic & stories

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Canoe

2019 Arrival / Traffic & stories

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 am

https://twitter.com/bmantraffic

http://gate.burningman.com/faq-gate.php

http://www.nvroads.com/511-home

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Gate has been open for authorized Early Arrivals.
BManTraffic started posting some times on the afternoon of August 22nd.
Sometimes the Highway to Gate time, or Gate Wait, or combined Gate Road & Gate Wait.
Gate Wait has often been in the 1:30 to 2:00 range, but it's also been zero.
Combined Gate Road & Wait have been up to 3 hours.

Last tweet, 7:56 am - 24 Aug 2019, zero wait on Gate Road.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: 2019 Arrival / Traffic & stories

Post by Token » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am

Important note:

34 to gate is ~ 3 miles.

At 5 mph that should take ~ 35 - 40 minutes to drive.

Gate to greeters is another ~ 2 miles.

If there was no wait, it takes over an hour to get from the paved road of 34 to Moe’s road fork.

Reports from the dust on reddit - LEO is ticketing speeders on gate road so take it slow.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:53 am

Here's Early Arrival from BMT so far.
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 9am.png
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 am

Token wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am
... Reports from the dust on reddit - LEO is ticketing speeders on gate road so take it slow.
Great!
They beat up the playa road making it super bumpy & dusty for everyone else, the dust they throw up will create instant whiteout conditions on Gate Road, and (real bad from Friday latecomers rushing to beat the others to Gate...) when BRC is downwind that dust will whiteout BRC, making it dangerous on the internal roads with all the Arrivals/Exodus traffic.
666isMONEY wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:29 pm
mudpuppy000 wrote:I remember reading that they altered the gate road route a while back to reduce the dust blowing into the city. IIRC it tended to blow in towards the 2:00 side.
One year I walked around the 3:00 side to see where all the dust was coming from, 3:00 side didn't have any. The cause was huge RVs driving too fast as they entered the city.
One RV can create a dust storm on the playa.
Doesn't have to be an RV. One vehicle going over 10 mph can have a huge effect. Even if it's just 12 mph. Surprisingly huge difference.
Here's one car speeding in.
And another speeding out.
Instant whiteout for those on Gate Road.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:52 am

hmm
The gathering begins...
10:30 am Saturday: traffic from CA on I-80 into Nevada & Reno has built up from Freeflowing to Moderate, including some spots along I-80 across Reno. Still looking good on the NV & CA traffic-cams.

(In other news, a Chihuahua dropped off yesterday is running lose on the I-80 plot near Gold Run.
And there was a traffic jam getting out of Sacremento yesterday afternoon. Related to a large number of early arrival passes being good as of 12:01 am Saturday?)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Token wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am
Important note:
34 to gate is ~ 3 miles.
At 5 mph that should take ~ 35 - 40 minutes to drive.
Always a problem in how to graph the BMT reports, as what they report varies and they'll combine some times.
So instead of graphing wait times, to better reflect the time it will take people, I'm going to show Gate Road Time as 40 minutes unless BMT specifies a longer Gate Road Time. (Won't show where BMT omits a report)
Gate Wait will show as zero unless BMT specifies; your 'zero' will vary (i.e., how easy to search your vehicle). And sometimes they specify a combined Gate Road, Gate Road & Gate Wait, or Gate Road Wait vs. Gate Wait...
And Wadsworth to Gate Road is only shown when BMT specifies that.
So with the variety of the BMT reporting, numbers can't be exact (can only report what they do), but the graph will show trends.

Went back and got the Early Entry BMT times for 2018. I hadn't realized some of that was such a cluster.
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 11am.png
Interesting that Nevada's 411 will show some traffic issues, but what is seen in the cams don't support that. It's resolved already but the map isn't updated.
Whereas the CA map shows issues around Reno, and the Reno cams show that taking place. CA maps are a lot faster to reflect changes.

Token

Post by Token » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:29 pm

You still kicking butterflies my man. Thank you for the years of graphing.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:02 pm

I-80 east to Nevada.
A collision with fire, Donner Pass just west of Truckee.
Another collision ~halfway between Soda Springs and Donner Lake.

Several reports of fires north of Reno on 395, starting just north of the junction with 70 up to halfway to Doyle. Concerns it will spread east across Red Rock Road.
And another reported on BLM land further north of there, ESE of Susanville.

And one-way traffic due to construction on 70 between Reno Junction and Beckworth.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:08 pm

latest graph
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 2.30pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17 pm

> Several reports of fires north of Reno on 395, starting just north of the junction with 70 up to halfway to Doyle. Concerns it will spread east across Red Rock Road.
- PETERSON MTN SUBJ IS ON WASHOE CO APPEARS TO BE GETTING CLOSE
- BOL FOR RED 4D SEDAN W/WMA WFA//POSS SUSP RELATED TO THE FIRE
- FIRE IS RIGHT AT THE BLM RD NOT AFFECTING TRAFFIC/IT IS ON THE E SIDE OF THE RDWY

>And another reported on BLM land further north of there, ESE of Susanville.
No longer listed on http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm

update fire east of 395, north of Reno
- Aug 24 2019 3:25PM [132] B20-057 ADVD FIRE STILL MOVING AWAY FRM THE RDWY/WIND PUSHING IT NE/MAY THREATEN SOME HOMES IN THE RANCHO HAVEN AREA
- Aug 24 2019 3:24PM [131] B20-057 THERE HAS BEEN AN RV UP THE BLM RD FOR SOME TIME/UNK IF THERE IS ANYONE IN THE RV/FIRE ON SCENE AND IS AWARE AND WILL TRY TO MAKE THEIR WAY UP TO THE RV/RV IS CURRENTLY IN THE PATH OF THE DIRECTION THAT THE FIRE IS GOING

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm
update fire east of 395, north of Reno - 395/BLM Road // Peterson Mountain Access Road
- fire didn't reach RV, situation under control
- MINDEN FIRE REQ FULL RD CLOSURE RED ROCK RD AT 395 NORTH AND SOUTH END OF RED ROCK

Take care if you're coming south on 395 past Doyle and Omira through the Reno Junction with 70.

Severe traffic delays on N. Red Rock Road NV are showing on quickmap.dot.ca.gov; nothing showing on www.nvroads.com/511-home.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Graph to 5 pm Saturday.
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 5pm.png
A number of minor collisions, some with injuries, reported along I-80 this afternoon between Sacramento and Truckee, including several hit & runs.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Fires:
  • Fire north on 395 past 70, is the "Long Valley Fire" - BLM - 150 acres burnt, 0% contained.
  • Near Susanville, to its NNE, between 139 and 395, "Horse Fire" - BLM - 175 acres burnt, 0% contained
  • NE of Redding CA, Bear Mountain Road and Dry Creek Road, north of Bella Vista, "Mountain Fire" - Cal Fire - 600 acres burnt, 60% contained
https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents

Reports are they're not affecting highway traffic.

That could easily change on 395 at the Long Valley Fire east beside 395, north of Reno.
N. Red Rock Road off of 395 shows with up to severe traffic delays.
Winds are around 270 degrees at 14 mph in that area, so they could be taking its smoke over/past Pyramid Lake and onto 447, and if the wind shifts, then Gerlach and/or BRC.

Winds in the area show as above, ~270 ~14 mph. The Gerlach webcam (webcam.burningman.org/) shows that there isn't any meaningful dust blowing to the playa from west of Gerlach. So I'd say that the dust seen above the playa in the background and the rolling whiteouts Gate is experiencing, are from playa traffic stiring up dust. Likely some vehicles going above the 10 mph limit in the low traffic, but if there are more lanes opened as they prepare for the BRC Opening at midnight, perhaps the traffic is just breaking up the surface that was reported as breaking up earlier in August.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 pm

and graph

rolling whiteouts reported at Gate
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 7 pm.png
Watching the CHP Incidents. Do they ever get a spike of collisions near dusk & sunset.
Most Traffic Hazards are not debris, but broken down vehicles. (Unlike post BM, where there's all sorts of suspicious debris reported on the roads...)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:27 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 pm
Long Valley Fire east beside 395, north of Reno.
Winds in the area show as above, ~270 ~14 mph. ...
Winds in the area of the fire through to 447 and the playa, showed as high as 20 mph, now more in the 12 to 16 mph range, still from the west.

There has been some intermittent congestion where 395 passes N. Red Rock Road in CA, between Doyle and Reno Junction at 70.

CHP has or will be closing N. Red Rock Road on the north/California end, and Washoe Co. has been asked if they can handle the closure on the south/Nevada end.

And just out as I was about to post this:
BLM ADVISED IS GOING TO WANT A HARD CLOSURE UNTIL MIDNIGHT AND THEN RE EVAL AT MIDNIGHT
That's closure of N. Red Rock Road, NOT closure of 395.

The single-lane construction routing near there on 70, 7-8 miles showing congestion from near 49 through to 395, has been removed from the traffic maps and is now only showing intermittent light congestion in spots and is mostly freeflowing.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Canoe wrote:... Long Valley Fire east beside 395, north of Reno. ...
From the Nevada side CHP log, wrote: "Aug 24 2019 9:22PM [9] PER WASHOE FIRE IS STILL 97 // NEG UPDATES ON CONTAINMENT // TRYING TO GET UNITS IN PLACE TO REPLACE SUSANVILLE UNITS"
Seems that Washoe Co. is tied up with something or other at the moment...

And this just out
BMT wrote: 9:33 pm - 24 Aug 2019
UPDATE: Emergency Vehicles are at SR-447 - mile marker 8 going NB from Wadsworth may result in Possible Delays. Remember to give Emergency Vehicles right of way and pull over.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 pm

nvroads.com/511-home, wrote: Crash (Road Closed) - on SR-445 in both directions.
445 north out of Reno to the west side of Pyramid Lake is closed just north of Spanish Springs due to a collision.

447 traffic appears to be causing some congestion on 446 at 447 (Nixon), along with showing slowdowns at the usual spots around Wadsworth, but only minor.

Cams on I-80 show traffic, freeflowing with only minor slowdowns in some spots.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 pm

We're getting close to BRC being opened at midnight.

BMT didn't release any times in the 9 pm and 10 pm range of notices, so we can't see if there was a sudden backlog of vehicles with WAPs going into BRC. But, usually when BMT skips releasing times, it often means the times are near the same as they were last reported, or sometimes improved. Last they reported was: Gate with a tiny wait (10 minutes), with rolling whiteouts. The rolling whiteouts would mean the drive across the playa from gravel to Gate would have been somewhat increased too (calling it 50 minutes), so I logged the last (8 pm) as 60 minutes, gravel to Gate.
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 10 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 pm

BMT gave out an 11 pm time!
Of course I was wrong. It wasn't the same or an improved time. But it's not bad: 35 minutes wait at Gate.
2019 - BMT Early Entry - to Sat 11 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:49 am

... Long Valley Fire east beside 395, north of Reno. ...
The CHP report is no longer on their map and I can't find it for an update. News sources show that the fire was already 1,500 acres and had 35 engine crews plus hand crews. Photos show that the fire at the CHP original reported site burned to the NE to the top of the hill.
twitter.com/NevadaFireInfo
Photos also showed an area of a significantly larger fire, adjacent and south of there. Reports from late yesterday was that a house and outbuildings were lost in or near the Ranch Haven Community, and evacuations were taking place.

Photos showed a huge plume of smoke, that was billowing to the NE that would take it right across Pyramid Lake and 447, and it may have touched Nixon. and along the south edge of the playa. This would explain the colour there in the last daylight Gerlach web cam images.(~edit. nope - not moving north enough) The NW edge of the smoke the photo was around N. Red Rock Road at the south end of Appalossa Circle, with the bulk of the huge plume appear to cross N. Red Rock Road somewhere around Frontier Road, on a course that appeared it would take it through to the north of Lovelock. A wind shift and we could easily end up with that smoke over or on BRC.

Latest Gate Wait is 1:15, plus the drive across the playa.
2019 - BMT Arrivals - Open - Sun 2 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:23 am

3 am

445 north of Reno is no longer showing closed or delayed.

nvroads.com/511-home is showing moderate traffic delays on multiple spots on I-80 through Reno, but all of the traffic cams I looked at show sparse to light traffic moving freely.
I-80 looks good to either side of Reno, to Sacramento & beyond, and with nvroads.com/511-home claiming delays near & at Elko that don't show on the cams, but some slowing by Winnemucca which appears to show on the cam.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am

Gerlach web cam, Sunday, Aug 25, 2019
4:21 am > background, headlights show line of cars crossing from Empire to Gerlach, way too close together
4:28 am > background shows the same, but spaced appropriately
4:39 am > also spaced appropriate, and with a traffic gap

appears that traffic through Gerlach is steady, with some clumping

FIRES:
  • Don't park on dry grass. Watch out for your CAT igniting vegetation.
  • Secure Trailer Safety Chains. When the chains drag or bounce on the road, not only do you weaken them and wear them out, they throw sparks.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:27 am

Graph update.
Looks like 2019 from Open is largely like 2018. Perhaps trending slightly faster than 2018...
2019 - BMT Arrivals - Open - Sun 5 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:22 am

Long Valley Fire, east of 395
If you're coming down 395 to get to Burning Man, you may want to get the latest updates on the Long Valley Fire.
I'm not seeing any news updates out yet this morning.
Various sources (BLMNV, Washoe, Washoe Sheriff, Truckee Fire, Nevada Fire Info, ...) can be found through twitter.com/hashtag/LongValleyFire?src=hash

From what I'm seeing on www.windy.com, with current winds moving west to east, the fire & smoke should stay away from 395, but there's some odd winds moving NNW showing from Sacramento to Chico area, so YRMV.

Do watch out for being distracted by various air drop aircraft, which yesterday included helo, SEAT and larger (some of it with rather dramatic footage on twitter), as they may be resuming today once they have sufficient light.
Last edited by Canoe on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:34 am

8 am graph update
And BMT has resumed using "1 to 2" hours. So now the graph shows the first value as Gate Wait and the second as Gate Wait Plus.
As a visual aid, where BMT omitted to provide a time, the graph continues the Total value as it's the 'last known' value in the absence of new data.
2019 - BMT Arrivals - Open - Sun 8 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm

In case you aren't following BurningManTraffic (you should be),
Burning Man Traffic, wrote:12:30 Aug 25, 2019 UPDATE: Accident on CR 34, right after Gerlach. All traffic is blocked. Egress from Burning Man is being held while the accident is being cleared.

1:19 pm Aug 25, 2019 UPDATE: The delays from the accident on County Road 34 are expected to last several hours. Exit from the city is closed and will remain so until we get the all-clear. Incoming traffic is blocked as well, with the line currently stretching from the accident all the way to Empire.

Burning Man Project, 1:24 pm Aug 25, 2019 DO NOT follow alternate routes suggested by Google, Apple, or other map applications. There are NO safe alternative routes to #BlackRockCity.

1:50 pm Aug 25, 2019 UPDATE: The delays from the accident on County Road 34 are expected to last several hours. Incoming traffic is blocked, with the line currently stretching from the accident all the way to Empire.
BURNING MAN is CLOSED until further notice.
When it gets cleared, expected to be several hours from now, then they have to clear the backup backlog off of CR34 and 447.
Stay in Reno or Fernley, or wherever north if you're coming down from the North. Do not leave for BRC until the all clear from Burning Man Traffic.
Do not go up 447 nor 445.
2019 - BMT Arrivals - Open - Sun 2 pm.png

Token

Post by Token » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm

34 closed at ~ 1-mile marker North of Gerlach.

Fatal accident. NHP estimate 4-6 hour closure due to crime scene investigation.

Bmtraffic twitter reports line to Empire.

NHP turning around motorists at 80-447.

Lots of anecdotal stuff online.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Only the wind is moving...

Vehicles in Gerlach are stopped on the road. In the background, vehicles on 447 between Empire & Gerlach are stopped on the road.

Gerlach webcam, 1:42 pm & 2:05 pm, Sun Aug 25, 2019
2019 - BRC CLOSED, Gerlach to Empire full Sun13.42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Canoe on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Token wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm
34 closed at ~ 1-mile marker North of Gerlach. ...
https:// twitter.com/WashoeSheriff/status/1165712997177643008?s=20
embedded Tweet won't load for me. Eplaya is trying to use github.io to load it.
Washoe Sheriff wrote:(twitter.com/WashoeSheriff/status/1165712997177643008?s=20)

Important traffic alert: @WashoeSheriff is investigating a fatal traffic collision in the area of County Road 34 and State Route 447. This will impact traffic to Burning Man for several hours. If you are still in Reno, remain here until further notice.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”