2019 Exodus, Traffic, Stories...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Canoe

2019 Exodus, Traffic, Stories...

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 pm

Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Re: 2019 Exodus, Traffic, Stories...

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:23 pm

BMT, wrote:Event entrance is now located at the 12 mile entrance/Hall Road/Service Entrance. To exit the event, use the 6 o'clock radial lane past L street to the south. All lanes are designated outbound only. The speed limit is 5mph. As you leave the event, expect flagging delays.
That's BMT's eight of the last nine tweets. They're trying to teach people that their tweets are nothing new, ignore them?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:50 am

Good so far. A few motorist assists Gerlach and Empire.
Nothing showing on I-80 on traffic maps through to Sacramento to the west and through NV to the east.
Sunday 5 am
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 5 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 am

BMT making lots of tweets. But not including exit nor wait times.
Wind is picking up. BMT says rolling whiteout possible.
Forecast: near 95 F, wind 5 to 10 mph, gusting to 20 mph.
Rolling whiteouts seen on livestream, and increasing in both size and duration.
Traffic maps looking good.
Sunday 9 am
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 9 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am

BMT keeps reminding people to stick to the 5 mph speed limit on Gate Road.
The speeders are kicking up a lot of dust. Gate Road is offset to the north to try and keep its dust from blowing over BRC from the Prevailing Winds, but sometimes it hits.
Here's the live stream from 10:50 am, showing the Gate Road dust blowing over the NW of BRC, and inset shows Gerlach webcam from 10:45 am with no dust, with the dust raised by Gate Road in the background on the left over the playa.
2019 Sun Exodus 10.50 am - Gate Road dust blowing over NW BRC w.Gerlach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:27 pm

It's Sunday noon, and no time/wait update from BMT since 6 am.

Reporting debris found on Gate Road, rolling whiteouts, limited visibility, reminders about checking that loads are tied down securely and don't dump your trash.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:32 pm

3:30 pm > Traffic is backed up on highway 34 SB to 8 mile for exodus

4:06 pm > Wait time for Exodus is up to two hours.

Everything looks fine on nvroads.com/511-home. A few spots on I-80 through Reno and into CA have shown traffic slowed, but every camera I've looked at today has shown sparse to light traffic flowing freely.
quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ had a rash of hit&runs near Sacramento earlier today, but I've only seen green all the way there from Reno.

Weather was showing 9 mph gusting 22 mph, now 21 mph and 92 F, RH 7%.

for Sunday 4 pm
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 4 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Sunday 5 pm
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 5 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:41 pm

7:14 pm Us50 CA, Bass Lake (between Placerville and Folsom), possible fire starting.
Otherwise, no incidents on the traffic maps. Some parts are showing occasional moderate traffic, but all free flowing. Mostly scarse to light traffic. Tomorrow will be different...

Sunday 7 pm
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 7 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:41 pm
7:14 pm Us50 CA, Bass Lake (between Placerville and Folsom), possible fire starting. ...
Negative on Us50 fire. They sighted smoke from a fire south of there on Latrobe road between 16 and 50.

And, north of 149 south of Paradise CA, there's a Traffic Hazard due to a vehicle pulled over to the side with a male and female out of their vehicle drinking beer...

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:07 pm

8 pm
quickmap.dot.ca.gov is showing slowed traffic Gerlach to Wadsworth on-ramp WB to Reno, with serious slowdown SB into Empire and going into Nixon.
Parts of I-80 through Reno showing moderate traffic on cams in places, but free flowing. Slowdown 659 north of I-80 in Sparks and a serious slowdown on Victorian Avenue north of the I-80 in Reno.

I-80 Donner Lake, west end, collision with bear/elk/deer, animal reported in the middle of the lanes.
I-80 coming into Sacremento, collision-unknown injuries - blocking 1-2 lanes west bound, 1 east bound, with debris. Unable to move out of roadway. (not showing slowdown yet)

8:15 now showing serious delays at the gas station near Wadsworth on the road leading to the west side on-ramps to I-80.
SB to Empire slowdown/backup shows on Gerlach webcam.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 8 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Reno, I-580 south at Mill Street, off ramp closed due to collision, slowdowns, estimated end time 10 pm.

Collision/animal Donner Lake is slowing traffic west bound on I-80.

8:14 Car fire, Us50 near Strawberry (between Nebelhorn and Kyburz).

Delays, south end of Lake Tahoe, both sides.

Slowdowns, mild to major, on 446 between Nixon and 445 as some people go over from 447.

447 south into Empire shows as a severe slowdown. Webcam supports that.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:40 pm

8:37 pm
Donner Lake is clear.

Strawberry on 50 is truck fire.

Temple Burn fell around 8:12 pm, so there will be more hitting the road.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:46 pm

8:38 pm to 8:42
I-80 westbound, west of Donner Lake near Norden. Collision vehicle and semi-trailer, semi rollover & smoking, additional vehicle may be trapped under the semi. Blocking two lanes. Showing major slowdown, small right now, expanding east.
Update: by Soda Springs
2019 sep 1 20.48 hwy80atsodaspringseb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 pm

8:48 pm Us50 CA, west of Riverton, collision, two people trapped in vehicle.

8:51 Sr89, traffic collision, one person found wandering, another walked in stating they were in accident. Three miles apart.

Soda Springs semi rollover backed up east of Castle Peaks, maybe 3 to 4 miles.

447 slowdowns materially the same as before, plus more slowdown SB into Wadsworth.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 pm

CALTRANS, wrote:0:04 pm IN NEVADA COUNTY, WB I-80 JUST EAST OF SODA SPRINGS, ALL LANES ARE BLOCKED DUE TO A TRAFFIC COLLISION. THERE IS NO ESTIMATE TIME OF CLEARING THIS INCIDENT. A DETOUR IS NOT PROVIDED.
CHP Incident Report includes "109-S2 ISSUE CIG ALERT AND SEE IF CT WILL CHANGECMS BOARDS AT STATELINE ACCIDENT AHEAD SLOW TRAFFIC"

Bottom of Lake Tahoe is easing, but there's the incidents on 50.

Nothing showing but minor slowdowns in isolated spots on I-80 east-bound to Salt Lake City.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:22 pm

The two cameras showing the Soda Springs accident: one has been shut off "for construction", the other was pointed to aim at the trees.

The congestion into Empire has eased a bit, as it doesn't show on the Gerlach webcam anymore. More pieces of major slowdown showing up along 447 between Empire and Wadsworth.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 pm
8:51 Sr89, traffic collision, one person found wandering, another walked in stating they were in accident. Three miles apart.
CHP Incident Report merged, same person. Vehicle may be in river. Witnesses saw person crawl up from river.

No slowdowns showing with the incidents on 50.

Collision with deer, just shy of Gold Run on I-80 CA. Driveable - will clear.

General traffic increase around the intersections and ramps in Reno.

And someone found a TV in a lane on I-80 CA between Troy and Cisco Grove.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 pm
CALTRANS, wrote:0:04 pm IN NEVADA COUNTY, WB I-80 JUST EAST OF SODA SPRINGS, ALL LANES ARE BLOCKED DUE TO A TRAFFIC COLLISION. THERE IS NO ESTIMATE TIME OF CLEARING THIS INCIDENT. A DETOUR IS NOT PROVIDED.
CHP Incident Report includes "109-S2 ISSUE CIG ALERT AND SEE IF CT WILL CHANGECMS BOARDS AT STATELINE ACCIDENT AHEAD SLOW TRAFFIC"
They got a lane open. Slowdown starting to move.

Webcam shows vehicles tight-packed on 447 between Gerlach and Empire. Slowdown shows major slowdown.
Webcam now shows it tight-packed in Gerlach and the road to Empire, except clearing on the right/south; suggests that LE is there and pulsing the vehicles onward to maintain flow.

Another incident on Us50, just west of Placerville.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:11 pm

Sunday 10 pm
Webcam shows the backup in Gerlach and out towards Empire was flowing, then is clear/normal. This doesn't show the rest of 447 into Empire... quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ shows that as still major congested/slowed.

Rest of 447 is showing slowdowns, including 446 and 445. Wadsworth has let up a bit. For now.

Incidents on Us50 CA are waiting for tows.

88 / Carson Pass Hwy south of Hope valley: car & motorcycle hit a large rock. Motorcycle is blocking traffic.

90 incident still underway.

Soda Springs continues to clear with one lane open.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Sun 10 pm.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33 am

Midnight

447 shows typical slowdowns. Into Empire not as bad as it was earlier, still showing some slowdown.
446 and 445 also showing slowdowns.
For a while I haven't seen the heavy slowdown near the gas station on the road out of Wadsworth. Closed? Out of Gas?

Reno looking good.

The Soda Springs rollover on I-80 is now Traffic Collision No Injuries, still working to clear. One lane open, minor delay there now. Other than that, I-80 to CA is clear to Sacramento.

Vehicle fire on 50 has been cleared. The collision with trapped occupants ISN'T on 50, but Ice House & White Meadow near Riverton. No slowdowns shown on 50.

The vehicle in river on 89 is actually on 4.

Gerlach weather showing as: 72 F, 8 mph gusting 12, RH 17%.
Forecast for Monday: sunny, high near 95 F, wind 5 mph to 15 mph, gusting as high as 25 mph.
Tuesday: pretty much the same, exept wind to 10 mph, gusting to 20 mph.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 12 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:36 am

4 am
Gerlach 58 F, 4 mph gusting 6 mph, RH 28%.

Gerlach web cam ~4:20, 4:31 am shows well spaced traffic between Gerlach & Empire.

447 shows as expected: slower traffic from north of Empire through to I-80 at Wadsworth, with small patches of major slowing. Some of the same on 445 and 446.

Reno looks fine.

I-80 east-bound traffic looks fine, except on 511-home flow is slowed either side of Elko. Appears to be planned construction. quickmap shows it as fine through to Salt Lake City.

I-80 west-bound looks fine, as are 395 north & south, Lake Tahoe and Us50. Various reports of vehicles stopped on shoulders.

Traffic Hazard Watt Avenue / Orange Grove Ave (at I-80): 2:46 SOMEONE HAS SET UP CONST BARRIERS IN ROADWAY//HAS A FLASHLIGHT AND IS STANDING IN LNS DIRECTING TRAFFIC, NO SCHEDULED ROAD CLOSURES. 4:26 am Collision VEH VS CONSTRUCTION BARRIER.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 4 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 am

Monday 6 am

Gerlach webcam shows well spaced traffic flowing.

Moderate to heavy slowdown on map at Empire.
Map also shows moderate slowdown on 447 between Empire, in Nixon and through to Wadsworth, heavy at the gas station there.
Same on 445 and 446.

I-80 eastbound from Wadsworth shows clear through to Salt Lake City.
I-80 near Wadsworth into Reno, light to moderate traffic, largely clear with a few tiny spots of major slowdown.
I-80 to CA shows clear to Sacramento.
I-80 eastbound at Yuba Gap has a collision, and a pedestrian wandering in lane eastbound Yuba Pass.

580 and 395 both show clear.

Lake Tahoe looking clear, as is Us50 and 88.

Gerlach shows as 58 F, 7 mph gusting 9 mph. Forecast up to 15 mph, with gusts to 30 mph overnight.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 6 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 am

Canoe wrote: Monday 6 am

Gerlach webcam shows well spaced traffic flowing.

Moderate to heavy slowdown on map at Empire.
Map also shows moderate slowdown on 447 between Empire, in Nixon and through to Wadsworth, heavy at the gas station there.
Same on 445 and 446.

I-80 eastbound from Wadsworth shows clear through to Salt Lake City.
I-80 near Wadsworth into Reno, light to moderate traffic, largely clear with a few tiny spots of major slowdown.
I-80 to CA shows clear to Sacramento.
I-80 eastbound at Yuba Gap has a collision, and a pedestrian wandering in lane eastbound Yuba Pass.

580 and 395 both show clear.

Lake Tahoe looking clear, as is Us50 and 88.
Sunday 7 am.
Pretty much the same as 6 am.
Taking more wait time for Exodus.
Showing somewhat lighter on 447.
Upper Truckee Road close south of Lake Tahoe leading to 50.
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 7 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 am

(and I labelled my last post as Sunday; should be Monday)

Monday 9 am
Gerlach looking good.
447 down to Wadsworth looking good, except for a severe slowdown in Nixon, where BMT says there is an accident (511-home shows 8:10 am, be aware of emergency vehicles and personnel).

I-80 looks good to Salt Lake City and to Reno. Westbound out of Reno is good until Truckee with congestion delays from 287 and 89 junctions.
2019 sep 2 9.34 am Truckee hwy80athwy89.jpg
West of there is a major to severe delay of two miles showing between Donner Lake and Soda Springs. Reason not given. Waze alert says heavy traffic jam.
CastlePeak cam
2019 sep 2 9.18 hwy80atcastlepeak.jpg
Map is also showing some slowing at Yuba Pass. And heavy traffic jams, small distance, just past Emigrant Gap and leading to Gold Run. A few more minor delays noted on the way to Sacramento, including trash bags in two lands on 244 west.

395 and 580 show as good.

Us50 out the bottom of Lake Tahoe is showing some major delays.
A few minor delays further west along 50.
88 looks good, but for an Animal Hazard north of Jackson.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am

Monday 9 am
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 9 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 am

twitter.com/NHPNorthernComm, wrote:7:59 TRAFFIC ADVISORY: N/B and S/B blocked at 447 and Washoe mm 15 (Nixon). Traffic is being diverted onto State Street. 3 vehicles involved and all requiring tows (ETA 90+ minutes). Slow down and watch out for first responders.
Cleared at 9:34 am.
Another one you should be watching. twitter.com/NHPNorthernComm

10 am
Wait off the playa is still two to three hours.

Truckee congestion is heavy/severe traffic jam on I-80, and extends from south on 89 and 267 for a number of miles. 89 north to Tahoe City is also a heavy/severe traffic jam. Same for I-80 westbound heavy traffic jam, around 6-7 miles long, from Donner Lake by Norden and Kingvale.
Reports of a fire 10:21 on I-80 past Citrus Heights, just shy of Sacramento.

50 south from Lake Tahoe is heavy/major traffic delays.

Some traffic jamming for a mile on 50 at Placerville, and a few other points along 50.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am

Seeing more traffic on the Gerlach webcam, but it's very well spaced out.

Traffic on 447 from Empire down to I-80 is more solid, but shows as moderate delays, with the usual greater delays at Empire, Nixon and Wadsworth.

I-80 eastbound showing clear through to Salt Lake City. And clear into Reno too, along with 395 and 580.

I-80 Truckee congestion is even worse than it was. If like past years, it will remain like this for hours.

I-80 Westbound from Donner Lake (broken down vehicle) through to Yuba Pass ("ice chest" blocking a lane), is a collect of traffic jams, from moderate, to heavy to severe. A number of small bits of delays along I-80 into Sacramento. A bad delay out of Sacramento I-80 west, and again west of Davis, with another one north on 99 switching over to 5 west/north.

Major to severe congestion continues in Tahoe City.

Recurring jams on 50 south out of Lake Tahoe, and in spots all across Us50.

Monday 11 am
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 11 am.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Gerlach: 88 F, 6 mph gusting 13 mph, RH 13%.
12 noon
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 12 noon.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Gerlach webcam continues to show traffic that is very well spaced out.

Traffic on 447 from Empire down to I-80 shows as moderate delays, but with a major then severe delay showing approaching Empire from Gerlach. Doesn't show on the webcam.

I-80 eastbound showing clear through to Salt Lake City.

Clear into Reno, except for a short major delay between Patrick and McCarran on the way into Reno.

395 and 580 look good.

I-80 Truckee congestion has largely resolved (as has Tahoe City), except for a small bit of severe delay on I-80 westbound in and around the 90 junction.

I-80 Westbound from Donner Lake through to Yuba Pass, is still a collection of traffic jams, from moderate, to heavy and with a lot of it showing as severe.

After Yuba Pass, there are a number of small bits of delays along I-80 into Sacramento, including around Gold Run and Newcastle. With a collision on the 80 going north over Sacramento. Still a bad delay out of Sacramento I-80 west and west of Davis. Some delay north on 99 switching over to 5 west/north.

Severe jam on 50 south out of Lake Tahoe, and various delays in spots all across Us50. Includes a three-vehicle collision near Cedar Grove. And on 50 in Sacramento just before 99, there's a spill that includes a table, mattress, bed frame, and... well, that cleared while I was typing this.

And a severe jam on 88 going to 89 to go up to join 50 south of Lake Tahoe.

Sunday 1 pm
2019 - BMT Exodus - to Mon 1 pm.png

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”