Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Malcolm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Lost Penguins

Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Post by Malcolm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 am

I'm looking at buying a new dedicated "playa" bike for 2020.

I've gone through a few Huffy Cranbrooks in the past, 4 to be precise (although one was stolen at the Temple, so that doesn't count), and want to find something that will:

A) Last me for more than a couple of years before seizing up

B) Be manufactured domestically and ethically (hopefully)

I found this website, Workman Cycles, and they seem to look pretty good. Based out of NYC, they make "industrial strength" bikes for delivery persons.

I'm willing to pay a bit more, if it means that I will get more out of the bike.

Does anyone own a Workman, or a similar hearty bike?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm

I bought a used Electra. Ladies cruiser. No hand brakes or gears to get messed up. After about 5 years I had the crank cleaned and greased. (I'll do it every year or two now.) I love that it fits me so no backaches. I did the break myself this year. Stay away from cheap, poorly designed bikes. Unless of course it's just for one week.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 am
I'm looking at buying a new dedicated "playa" bike for 2020.

I've gone through a few Huffy Cranbrooks in the past, 4 to be precise (although one was stolen at the Temple, so that doesn't count), and want to find something that will:

A) Last me for more than a couple of years before seizing up

B) Be manufactured domestically and ethically (hopefully)

I found this website, Workman Cycles, and they seem to look pretty good. Based out of NYC, they make "industrial strength" bikes for delivery persons.

I'm willing to pay a bit more, if it means that I will get more out of the bike.

Does anyone own a Workman, or a similar hearty bike?
*raises hand and jumps around “me, me, me”
I have a worksmans trike that I bought in 2014. I’ve brought it out to the playa 6 years in a row now. I went with worksmans because I wanted something made in America too. Something that was built well and tough.
In 2017 I put the elec motor/hub/wheel on it and of course it’s even more fun. Worksmans provides pretty good customer service too. I live in Nevada and didn’t have any problems with shipping either.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Malcolm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Lost Penguins

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:34 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 am

*raises hand and jumps around “me, me, me”
I have a worksmans trike that I bought in 2014. I’ve brought it out to the playa 6 years in a row now. I went with worksmans because I wanted something made in America too. Something that was built well and tough.
In 2017 I put the elec motor/hub/wheel on it and of course it’s even more fun. Worksmans provides pretty good customer service too. I live in Nevada and didn’t have any problems with shipping either.
That's great to hear! I think I'll give them a call and have something built.

Question, was the rlrctric hub motor a Workman product as well? How long does the charges hold for? How easy id recharging?

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am

I did get the elec hub through worksman, I just figured it would be easier since I have no knowledge on building this kind of thing. The first battery pack I got through worksman and it held a charge but not for very long compared to my campmates who also had the exact same set up, after 2018 burn I noticed the battery pack was bulging, which I learned is a sign of a battery going bad.

Last year before the burn I went to batteries plus (that’s where I learned about bulging batteries). So I was going to purchase a new battery pack from worksman at $280. The guys at battery plus built me one for $125. I have the regular battery not the lithium. The new battery was a dream last year. Held the charge great and my adult daughter even hauled her boyfriend around in the basket at times.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am

I simply bought a $180 front hub drive setup on ebay, 1500 watts and 48 volts. About a 2 hour install on my trike. I used 4 SLA 12 volt batteries in a series, get a very long day out of a charge. Batteries: about $85.00, then all you do is build a simple battery harness, about $3.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Darcala
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Darcala » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:44 pm

I have the larger Worksman Cruiser. Finishing up the lighting system but have around 100 miles on bike. Titan 50 w/ BMP Friction drive. Expensive, but I ordered it with Springer fork and HD tires & tubes. Got the smaller chain ring too. That enhances the bike for mb'ing IMO. Fully lugged frame and those HD wheels make it ride and handle like a small motorcycle. The Felt cruisers have similar components but look much better. The paint job on my Worksman is nothing special. The rear hub/coaster brake is Shimano c-110. Most other components are Wald. Got the large seat which is made in Taiwan.
follow us to get bad credit loans online

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Yes. They are excellent. Good customer service, well-built bicycles.

I got a Worksman Folding E-Trike for 2019. I ran that thing into the ground, and I absolutely mean it - I beat the fuck out of it. Other than taking care of the battery, I rode that thing all day and night, and on one drunken night, discovered that I could take sharp turns and go up on two wheels.

Point is, it's still intact, ready, and waiting to go. It should ideally be out in the dust already, actually...

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Wow!
Look at all their options for a build.
Even a solid tire available.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

bradontrike

Post by bradontrike » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 am

Hi, I know trikes but don't know burning man. I had a workman 3 speed trike. Rode it across the state of Iowa dressed up like Pee Wee Herman one year and Batman another year. I ride across Iowa every year on a trike every year in costume. It is RAGBRAI, it is always the last week in July. I have one cat trike in the states fixed up like the bat mobile. It is awesome, I am a strong rider but the tires are narrow. I live in South America now and have a cat trike here for the road and a fat tire trike for the beach. I will NOT be bringing those trikes on the plane to the US but I will come there and get my cat trike and ride, visit, and camp. So burning man sounds awesome. However, my tires on that trike are narrower and am worried about it. My trike can be geared so you can spin. However, if it is soft sand the entire way I will be hurting. If only in spots, no biggie, I just get off and drag over a short section of sand. My battrike is geared but I have no issues dropping into the low gear for easy pedaling and just leaving it there. I know that the dust can mess with things. That I can handle. I just want to know how sandy and soft the ground is and if those soft spots are long in distance. If any of you folks have trike questions, I can help. With the virus, the buses were banned, cars were banned many days (I have no car) but my trike was allowed to go. I put about 4000 kilometers on it in 5 months, so I can ride. I popped an electric motor on it too so I know those issues. So, batman knows trikes, he doesn't know the riding conditions at burning man. help me and I will try to return favor

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:12 am

bradontrike wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 am
Hi, I know trikes but don't know burning man. I had a workman 3 speed trike. Rode it across the state of Iowa dressed up like Pee Wee Herman one year and Batman another year. I ride across Iowa every year on a trike every year in costume. It is RAGBRAI, it is always the last week in July. I have one cat trike in the states fixed up like the bat mobile. It is awesome, I am a strong rider but the tires are narrow. I live in South America now and have a cat trike here for the road and a fat tire trike for the beach. I will NOT be bringing those trikes on the plane to the US but I will come there and get my cat trike and ride, visit, and camp. So burning man sounds awesome. However, my tires on that trike are narrower and am worried about it. My trike can be geared so you can spin. However, if it is soft sand the entire way I will be hurting. If only in spots, no biggie, I just get off and drag over a short section of sand. My battrike is geared but I have no issues dropping into the low gear for easy pedaling and just leaving it there. I know that the dust can mess with things. That I can handle. I just want to know how sandy and soft the ground is and if those soft spots are long in distance. If any of you folks have trike questions, I can help. With the virus, the buses were banned, cars were banned many days (I have no car) but my trike was allowed to go. I put about 4000 kilometers on it in 5 months, so I can ride. I popped an electric motor on it too so I know those issues. So, batman knows trikes, he doesn't know the riding conditions at burning man. help me and I will try to return favor
I have the 3speed worksman trike with elec assist. For the most part you’ll do fine at burning man with the trike because it is mostly hard surface, it’s not sand but it can be soft,like talcum powder. Challenges are the playa snakes. Playa snakes are areas of ripples of soft dirt/playa that can slow ya down and sometimes if your not paying attention cause you to fall off your bike. You can usually spot these and just ride around them or if not to deep power through them. As always if it rains or the playa is wet, don’t attempt to bike through it. Playa clumps up like clay and can build on itself
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jeanie
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Orphan Asylum

Post by Jeanie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 am

My late boyfriend and I bought a 3 speed power assist trike from Worksman. He used it for ice runs and late night cab service, and it was used at the last burn for a wedding where he was chauffeur. Very dependable and very sturdy, he built off it to create Rex .He charged it during the day a few hours and it lasted all night. After he passed away I gifted Rex to our camp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:50 am

Jeanie wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 am
My late boyfriend and I bought a 3 speed power assist trike from Worksman. He used it for ice runs and late night cab service, and it was used at the last burn for a wedding where he was chauffeur. Very dependable and very sturdy, he built off it to create Rex .He charged it during the day a few hours and it lasted all night. After he passed away I gifted Rex to our camp.
Thank you for this inspiration.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”