Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Malcolm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Lost Penguins

Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Post by Malcolm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 am

I'm looking at buying a new dedicated "playa" bike for 2020.

I've gone through a few Huffy Cranbrooks in the past, 4 to be precise (although one was stolen at the Temple, so that doesn't count), and want to find something that will:

A) Last me for more than a couple of years before seizing up

B) Be manufactured domestically and ethically (hopefully)

I found this website, Workman Cycles, and they seem to look pretty good. Based out of NYC, they make "industrial strength" bikes for delivery persons.

I'm willing to pay a bit more, if it means that I will get more out of the bike.

Does anyone own a Workman, or a similar hearty bike?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Anyone have any experiances with Workman Cycles?

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm

I bought a used Electra. Ladies cruiser. No hand brakes or gears to get messed up. After about 5 years I had the crank cleaned and greased. (I'll do it every year or two now.) I love that it fits me so no backaches. I did the break myself this year. Stay away from cheap, poorly designed bikes. Unless of course it's just for one week.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 am
I'm looking at buying a new dedicated "playa" bike for 2020.

I've gone through a few Huffy Cranbrooks in the past, 4 to be precise (although one was stolen at the Temple, so that doesn't count), and want to find something that will:

A) Last me for more than a couple of years before seizing up

B) Be manufactured domestically and ethically (hopefully)

I found this website, Workman Cycles, and they seem to look pretty good. Based out of NYC, they make "industrial strength" bikes for delivery persons.

I'm willing to pay a bit more, if it means that I will get more out of the bike.

Does anyone own a Workman, or a similar hearty bike?
*raises hand and jumps around “me, me, me”
I have a worksmans trike that I bought in 2014. I’ve brought it out to the playa 6 years in a row now. I went with worksmans because I wanted something made in America too. Something that was built well and tough.
In 2017 I put the elec motor/hub/wheel on it and of course it’s even more fun. Worksmans provides pretty good customer service too. I live in Nevada and didn’t have any problems with shipping either.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Malcolm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Lost Penguins

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:34 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 am

*raises hand and jumps around “me, me, me”
I have a worksmans trike that I bought in 2014. I’ve brought it out to the playa 6 years in a row now. I went with worksmans because I wanted something made in America too. Something that was built well and tough.
In 2017 I put the elec motor/hub/wheel on it and of course it’s even more fun. Worksmans provides pretty good customer service too. I live in Nevada and didn’t have any problems with shipping either.
That's great to hear! I think I'll give them a call and have something built.

Question, was the rlrctric hub motor a Workman product as well? How long does the charges hold for? How easy id recharging?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am

I did get the elec hub through worksman, I just figured it would be easier since I have no knowledge on building this kind of thing. The first battery pack I got through worksman and it held a charge but not for very long compared to my campmates who also had the exact same set up, after 2018 burn I noticed the battery pack was bulging, which I learned is a sign of a battery going bad.

Last year before the burn I went to batteries plus (that’s where I learned about bulging batteries). So I was going to purchase a new battery pack from worksman at $280. The guys at battery plus built me one for $125. I have the regular battery not the lithium. The new battery was a dream last year. Held the charge great and my adult daughter even hauled her boyfriend around in the basket at times.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am

I simply bought a $180 front hub drive setup on ebay, 1500 watts and 48 volts. About a 2 hour install on my trike. I used 4 SLA 12 volt batteries in a series, get a very long day out of a charge. Batteries: about $85.00, then all you do is build a simple battery harness, about $3.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Darcala
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Darcala » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:44 pm

I have the larger Worksman Cruiser. Finishing up the lighting system but have around 100 miles on bike. Titan 50 w/ BMP Friction drive. Expensive, but I ordered it with Springer fork and HD tires & tubes. Got the smaller chain ring too. That enhances the bike for mb'ing IMO. Fully lugged frame and those HD wheels make it ride and handle like a small motorcycle. The Felt cruisers have similar components but look much better. The paint job on my Worksman is nothing special. The rear hub/coaster brake is Shimano c-110. Most other components are Wald. Got the large seat which is made in Taiwan.
Nathan

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”