When to Arrive?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
pbmaniac2000

When to Arrive?

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:24 pm

I was wondering when people normally arrive at burning man? Do you arrive on august 27th, and then things start on the 28th? Or do you all arrive on the 28th? Also i know people will arrive all during "the day" but when is the best time to arrive?

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 pm

all your answers can be found on the site.

as a starter, read everything on the survival guide and the first timers guide.

http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

try to read as much as possible.

pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:46 pm

Yeah read through those still didn't answer any of my questions.

vic

When to arrive

Post by vic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:46 pm

You can get in anytime after midnight Sunday. I would strongly recommend arriving during daylight. Black Rock City is disorienting at night for new comers. You are going to want to look around for a camp site and get oriented in the light.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:51 pm

This is the best thread on the subject so far:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... ht=arrival

The event begins the 28th, so that's the day you arrive, on Monday. We drive in from Utah and time it to hit the gates in the early morning hours as the sun comes up. We then have daylight in which to set camp, but it is still early enough to avoid the worst of the daytime heat.

We're fussbudgets, no running off to see stuff until the shade and tent are up and the water and sunblock and food are accessible. Nothing sucks worse than running around and then having to come back in the heat or the dark when you're tired and cranky and half-drunk and have to set up camp. Not everyone needs to do it that way, but that's what works for us.

Don't worry about missing something, you will never see or do everything. Many other people are setting up Monday too. It can be communal and fun in itself.

pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:56 pm

ok, so next question. I am coming from colorado and its a 16 hour drive. I will probably do it in about 12 or 13. I don't however want to be up all day sunday, get there early in the morning, and have to set up camp then be super tired monday night. So here is my quesion. Is there an "official" spot that one could pull over for a few hours and catch some zz's before hitting the gates?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:27 pm

I do know what you mean about setting up after driving all night, but our drive is 8 ~ 12 hours so it isn't as bad. Things eally slow down once you're off the interstate, take every cautionary word about highway 447 very, very seriously. Actually I think between packing the trailer, the drive and set up, larry's up and active for nearly 24 hours straight. Takes about an hour or two to get the camp basics done, then I fiddle with details on and off all week. We have two art projects to put up too.

There's no good places along 447 to stop, and nowhere I know of directly outside the gate. Perhaps someone else has that info, but it isn't ringing bells for me. We take our "driver nap break" in the parking lot of the Flying J in Winnemucca (I can't drive, so larry has to do the whole thing). We also break in Fernley to fuel up, potty, maybe eat.

There's also rest areas and brothel parking lots along I-80 that would be good park and nap places.

As for being tired Monday night, do not underestimate the power of a post set-up afternoon nap and excitement and adrenaline. You may not notice you're tired until Wednesday or Thursday!

Of course, you may well decide I'm completely full of crap and some else has a better answer. Youll be fine and dispensing advice next year.

Desert Duck
Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Post by Desert Duck » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Yeah, I'd agree. Leave early enough on sunday that you can stop in fernley for a few hours and get a little rest. As soon as I hit the playa, I'm wired no matter how early I get there(usually a week), so being rested and arriving just before the sun peeks over the horizon is good. Come by Recycle for a beer once you get settled in.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:39 pm

The best is to join a Theme Camp, and arrive on Saturday! My schedule is to leave the Bay Area midnight or so on Friday, grab a few hours of sleep in a rest stop, and hit the playa Saturday afternoon.

But you have to be part of an official registered Theme Camp, and be "on the list".

But other than that, mid-day Monday is good. Have breakfast in Winnemucca or so, and head on down!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:11 am

We're in Hushville, which is a theme camp, but we don't have early arrival privileges. Double-check and yes, be sure you're on The List.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm with Anti-M, but then I'm old. Louise and I arrive in Reno on Sunday, have dinner, screw around, then get up at dark-thirty on Monday morning, have a huge breakfast at some restaurant, then head for the playa. (There's a 24-hour drugstore in Reno where I can get the toothpaste or whatever I found out I forgot during our overnight in Reno.)

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Reno to our campsite in Hushville. Get there early morning. Set up camp before the heat of the day, shade, tent, get stuff organized. Then have lunch, and we're set for the week.

If it's truly hot, and it hasn't been the last several years, your first day on the playa really sucks, so be careful. Watch your water intake (careful with caffiene and alcohol) so that you don't have dehydration sneak up on you.

In general, it doesn't really matter - you'll find out when you get there, and you'll do it better the next year.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 am

Last year when we arrived, we had to set up in a dusty windstorm. It really sucked, but we got as much done as we could. There's reason we now clamshell our carport (leave the windward legs off).

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:31 am

Don't forget the option of arriving at night and going to the short term parking, sleeping till dawn (if your car allows it) and then setting up. Some swear by it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:53 pm

I always suggest to folks that they head off towards open playa at the 12 mile point. If the playa cruft is dry I'd even try to make it as close to the Black Rock itself, hnag out for a day or so and then return once the gates open. These days it's amazing the number of people that never get to experience other parts of the Lahanton lake bed other than from withinn BRC.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:05 am

My Drive is 16 hours to the Playa so I do have experience with the long drives and being excited to hit the Playa.
Keep in mind if you lose out on sleep the first day it can be hard to catch up on that because you will want to keep going & going and your system can be beat up by lack of sleep, dehydration, upset stomach, wind blown playa etc.
My suggestion is to arrive into the Reno area on Sunday and get a good nights rest. Arrive at the gates Monday mornining (it will be busy) and try to be setting up camp before 10 am when the winds will start to kick up. Try not to party to much as you will have plenty of time to do that. Arriving during the night will not result in a good nights sleep...
Keep drinking the water and ad an emergen "C" packet to start your day
I would suggest you make a list of all of the camps you know you "need" to see and make a plan to hit them...let the experience come to you but if you don't plan some kind of eating and sleeping schedule your body will give up on you and you'll be worn out quick.

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:46 pm

I don't consider myself to be TOO hardcore, but I have a 48 hour (if driven straight) drive, 2100 miles from West Michigan...It seems to get EASIER every year that goes by. I go alone, and aside from traditional stops along the way I make no formal agenda. (It's a vacation!)
I'll add my endorsement to stopping in Winnemucca- I even want to explore it more, given adequate time. Do NOT expect a break on 447, especially at night! During the day, the traffic will probably be somewhat heavy and a pullover will become more hazardous on that narrow, soft-shouldered roadway. And no matter HOW tired you are, how long you've driven...when you see that neon on the horizon it will have a PROFOUND effect on your energy level. This year I'm going Minimal Camp Mode, so I can do what I've wanted to for YEARS- Park, crack a coldie, hop on my bike and cruise the city in its infancy WITHOUT worrying about having 500 dome struts to nut together. AHHHHhhhhh.
Phil, Louise, AntiM, Ranger G.....We all know the benefits of hooking up with a theme camp, don't we? Sorry I won't have a tower for you, this year....I plan to make up for it.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Desert Duck
Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

rhymes with future

Post by Desert Duck » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Getting on an early arrival list isn't that hard if you don't mind working your ass off. I've been with Recycle for 6 years, last year I was on the playa from the tuesday before to the wednesday after. There's something extra special about having all your structures up and ready by Sunday, as people first start to trickle in, we're part of what's already there, and I'm chillin' on top of the container on a dusty-ass couch with a cold PBR and my friends. We just sit up there and watch the traffic build. Super-cool, and you can go to the hot springs if you're there B4 the event starts. :wink:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?

phil

Post by phil » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Sorry I won't have a tower for you, this year....I plan to make up for it.
It's not your tower that we love. :->

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:25 am

phil wrote:
Sorry I won't have a tower for you, this year....I plan to make up for it.
It's not your tower that we love. :->
Aw, shucks!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:08 pm

I will second that the best time to arrive is when you can see. If you arrive late, you are better off, in my opinion, getting some rest and setting up at first light.

The time when people are arriving is very dusty in many parts of the city because there are a lot of cars moving around. Expect it.

I also second AntiM's clamshell suggestion. Last year we were camped right where Hushville and AEZ met. I positioned the shade structure so the long side was facing Southwest and eliminated the windward supports. It handled the wind just great and there was room for my tent, a couple of papasan chairs, table and coolers under it. All of the strong winds came from the South or West. There was one evening of breeze out of the North but it was light.

The "best time" to arrive? Earlier arrivals tend to have more options for placement even placement within theme camps unless your camp has worked out placement details for individual campers in advance. If placement options aren't an issue for you, any time is really as good as another provided you have a plan. I am also a fan of getting shade set up quickly. First thing up, last thing down. It's another way to help avoid becoming a heat casualty.

Have fun and leave yourself plenty of time to get stuff done. Then start thinking about the best time to LEAVE. I would suggest that you split before daylight on Monday morning and leave the rest of the people to pack up your camp and wipe out any trace of it.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Desert Duck

Post by Desert Duck » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Again I'm a proponent of come early leave late. If you can arrange to stay through tuesday, you'll miss all the outbound traffic, and get in on an awesome leftover booze party monday nite. This also gives a little time just to be on the playa with almost noone out there. I'll get up early, finish packing my tent, vehicle by 8 or 9 am, spend a couple hours mooping, then hit the road by noon. By that time it's nice and hot, so I stop off in Nixon to pick up a permit for Pyramid Lake for an afternoon skinnydip.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

I am with DD on that come early leave late routine I think some of the best times I had was on Monday and Tuesday nights after I packed up my pickup monday in AEZ then just drove further in towards Center Camp and set up a minamilist camp right on the esplanade and Monday and Tuesday night just drove the whole Playa checking things out stopping wherever I wanted...enjoyed two Playa Art breakdown parties with great food right out on the Playa. This week I am going for 14 days wed to wed get a lot of volunteer shifts in before the real week starts and after

And no exodus problems drove out Wednesday with no traffic in my way and the trash drop off at the 80 RR was still there
geekster wrote:I would suggest that you split before daylight on Monday morning and leave the rest of the people to pack up your camp and wipe out any trace of it.
Too honest Geekster now you are giving the newbie's a way out of responsibility for Camp cleanup, LNT etc
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:50 pm

I was being sarcastic. Seems many theme camps have that problem every year.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:28 pm

geekster wrote:I was being sarcastic. Seems many theme camps have that problem every year.

Saw bunch of that myself the 4:30 am gang not only are they bailing on responsibility they wake everyone up doing it slamming doors revving motors then woosh poof gone usually with a bag of moop left behind...

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:35 pm

geekster wrote:I was being sarcastic...
heh... long time geekster.

Token

NIght Owl

Post by Token » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:46 pm

I have in the past five years made it in on Sunday night and wouldn't have it any other way. There is something magical in arriving at night that just does not compare to a daytime arrival. 'Did the morning arrival in 2000 and it was a jump straight into work mode, build the shade structure do all the work and stuff. Not what I wanted to do right after making it back home.

It is one thing to see the already dust covered shanty-town in the daytime, but quite a different thing to see the lights of the yet unfinished BRC on Sunday night. I'll be seeing the dusty slums of BRC plenty for the next seven days but the first glimpse of The Man's neon and the lights of Center Camp is reserved for arrival time.

Sure, it is more difficult to drive around at night, but that is what all those signs and quotes are for, slow down, read the cool signs and annoy anyone behind you trying to drive past the 5mph limit.

Since I tend to camp in the same spot every year, getting in at midnight Sunday, parking the truck upwind, cracking a cold one and spending 15 minutes to pitch a tent is trivial. Hopping on the bike and cruising The City after a long drive, priceless.

Now for anyone driving the 447 at night, do not swerve or suddenly slam on the breaks to avoid the rabbit that decided to run out right in front of you. Just run the sneaky little bastard over and save the tailgater behind you.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:27 pm

If you arrive during the day, have a jug of water and your shade structure components where you can get to them fast and get it up fast. You'll <b><u>NEED</b></u> shade. The only thing worse than crouching in the shadow of your vehicle for hours is working in the blazing sun after driving for a day straight.

I always aim to get there after 4PM. The worst of the day's heat is over and there's still a couple-few hours of light left to get a shelter of some kind up, or failing that to empty out the vehicle and sleep in that.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:30 pm

Came in at Midnight 05' it was blast even though I was the guy in the Black truck broken down limping along the road about twenty miles out that you all passed.
Anyhow I did same thing got through the greeters with love, stopped at Apokiliptika for a sec cause they were out in the street welcoming everyone home, drove around in the dust storm that was great it just added to the wonderment, I found my camp spot in AEZ and they even had a little sign with my name on it which was so cool, helped direct traffic and newbies for awhile with some lady we watched some newbie frat boys set up their camp in the middle of the road right next to the JOTS tried to tell em' but they knew better than us, took them a hour trying to setup a tent in the wind and then the rangers made them move, then just hiked all over BRC till sun up! Who could sleep? the BM drug had me going...finally set up camp enough to make coffee and breakfast and then it was on! I was back home!

Rockdad

Re: NIght Owl

Post by Rockdad » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Token wrote:I have in the past five years made it in on Sunday night and wouldn't have it any other way. There is something magical in arriving at night that just does not compare to a daytime arrival..

Now for anyone driving the 447 at night, do not swerve or suddenly slam on the breaks to avoid the rabbit that decided to run out right in front of you. Just run the sneaky little bastard over and save the tailgater behind you.
Totally agree with the first part... and add to the last part watch out for the black Dodge Ram limping along the road trying to stay off the road and out of the sand and only turning his lights on when traffic was approaching because he was having major mechanical problems...Sorry everyone!

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Hey Rockdad, Zule and I got in around midnight too last year! Then drove straight to Apokiliptika (or tried to in the dust storm.) where Z was camping. Did you stick around for a little bit? I sat and chatted with a few people before I went galivanting off into the night. I'm just wondering if we met now.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”