Alternate Exit Northeast?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ScoutDG

Alternate Exit Northeast?

Post by ScoutDG » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:09 pm

Looking at Black Rock City on Google Earth, I see car tracks heading northeast to a point where they cross a railroad track. Remembering my 3 hour wait to get out last year makes me wonder if this is a viable option for an exit. I will have a truck, so could handle any likely ruts.

Since this seems like an obviously attractive alternative, I assume it's somehow not feasible. E.g., BM has fences and guards to prevent our going out that way, or ...? (I'm not sure why they would have this rule, but it's the only problem I can think of.

Similarly, I remember when I finally got onto the highway, which was proceeding pretty slowly, there were trucks proceeding rapidly along the playa to Gerlach. This would be another attractive alternative to the long exit waits, so I'm guessing this must be strictly prohibited also.

So, anybody else tried that? Did it work? Problems? If taking an alternate exit violates some major rule, please tell me about it calmly.

:?

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:44 pm

I have some hazy recollection that the BLM permit for BM restricts access points. For a photo of where that road crosses the tracks, see here:
http://ian.kluft.com/blackrock/DeadTruck.jpg

ScoutDG

Post by ScoutDG » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I always thought "Burning Man" referred only to the statue. From the picture, apparently it also refers to the use of space based lasers against people who attempt to adopt alternate egress.

:shock:

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Phil's right that it's not the Burning Man organization that prohibits using other ways out of the event; it's the BLM (in order to reduce damage to the playa, and abate dust). It's in the terms of the permit, thus making it actually a crime to exit that way.

Any time other than during the event, it's allowed, or even during the event if you're not a participant.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Scout, you asked some good questions. I inquired about this last year and was told that the BLM controlled the access points and that if I left by any other way besides the main gate I could be fined $250. I heard the same thing when I talked to a Pershing County Sheriff and from Rangers at the main Ranger HQ.

So I waited over 2 hours in the Exodus line to get to 447 only to turn Right and head North to the 12 Mile Playa entrance. From there I went out on the playa, hung a slow turn to the left and headed right on up the playa. I eventually turned East thinking I would head towards Trego but I ended up much farther up the playa than that, past a windsurfing camp before I found an exit.

So to answer some of your questions yes it is possible to take a different route out at least after you hit 447. As for why you couldn't leave from like the same entrance the water tankers use and bypass the Exodus....I assume it's because they don't want a horde of people heading over to Jungo Road and crossing the RR tracks, then doubling back to Empire and jamming the traffic on 447. Also the BLM does charge the LLC per person so the gate controls IMHO should only be in place until the man burns. I find it strange that Exodus is restricted...I even put a comment about it in the survey and sent emails on it...nobody ever responded.

One other thing of note...yeah you may have a truck but if you go out on the deep playa and you get stuck....you're on your own. Keep that in mind.....I know I did. And the further North and East I went the more concerned I got about entering the Humboldt drainage area...I didn't want to bury the truck out there. I've heard enough stories that I didn't want to risk it so I didn't push my luck.

(/soapbox) ((Sorry to run long but this has been a pet peeve of mine for years))
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Ranger Genius wrote: (in order to reduce damage to the playa, and abate dust).
Yea right on the DUST..I always laugh while I drive out from Gerlach to the entrance. All you see is out on the Playa just out side of town is the LEOs cars and trucks driving +60mph to the staging area. Its part of the cause of surgar dust that kicks up in the wind/breeze.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:08 am

phil wrote:I have some hazy recollection that the BLM permit for BM restricts access points. For a photo of where that road crosses the tracks, see here:
ok... so you gotta tell the story behind that pic.

Looks Like: Trains-1 Trucks-0
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:48 am

LeChatNoir wrote:
phil wrote:I have some hazy recollection that the BLM permit for BM restricts access points. For a photo of where that road crosses the tracks, see here:
ok... so you gotta tell the story behind that pic.

Looks Like: Trains-1 Trucks-0
Yep. You remember when tiki torches were banned in camps because a _ranger_ burned her tent down when she lit one _inside_ her tent?

Same situation here - that's a BLM truck that got hit by a train:
http://ian.kluft.com/blackrock/train-safety.html

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:50 am

ibdave wrote:
Ranger Genius wrote: (in order to reduce damage to the playa, and abate dust).
Yea right on the DUST..
:-> Last year, Louise and I arrived during a dust storm. You couldn't see BRC from the greeter station. The guy warned us to drive under 5MPH in the city. I said, "Why? To keep the DUST down?" We laughed, and off I went.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 am

phil wrote: Yep. You remember when tiki torches were banned in camps because a _ranger_ burned her tent down when she lit one _inside_ her tent?

Same situation here - that's a BLM truck that got hit by a train:
http://ian.kluft.com/blackrock/train-safety.html
"Can't you read the sign? WHAT sign?! Ah, oh, ah, THAT sign! The one that says, ' do as I say not as I do'!"

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 pm

ScoutDG wrote:I always thought "Burning Man" referred only to the statue. From the picture, apparently it also refers to the use of space based lasers against people who attempt to adopt alternate egress.
Well, as you also point out, "BM has fences and guards ... ." So why not space lasers.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:15 pm

We always come from the Winnemucca side on Jungo-Sulfur road. Crossing the playa directly east and crossing the tracks where you can will put you close to it. There are plenty of paths to follow if you are so inclined.

BLM Law dogs are pretty cool about that as I have only seen a few cars going that way at all.

doesnt mean they have to be though.

c u all on the playa
later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 am

What’s the condition of that road usually? I’ve heard that the rocks tend to be sharper edged and that you stand a greater risk of flats on it. I've thought about this route before and have wondered about it, but I've no first hand knowledge.

And it should also be noted that in Winnemucca in ’04 I was in the grocery store stocking up and walked past a lady who was talking with a fellow about the Jungo road. He was saying, “Oh yeah… I was just across it the other day and its in great shape. You should have no problems what-so-ever getting across it in your car.”

He had a certain tone in his voice that gave me pause so I made a point to come up to her a few minutes later and tell her that I’d heard it could in fact be rough going and advised her to go the paved interstate route to 447, rather than risk missing the event.

As luck would have it, I ran across her about midweek on the playa and she told me that she had indeed opted out of the Jungo road. But she went on to explain that she had met someone just that day who had gone that way and found that it had been washed out by a rainstorm several weeks earlier and was impassable by car.

Don’t know if that was true or not, but that’s what she was told.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:46 am

I heard it was being graded and graveled in several stretches as part of regular maintenance this year. That well could be a rumor. I wonder if NV's DOT would have it listed as a construction project?

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:40 pm

With the rising price of gold, that old mine out there is being reopened, which will mean that the first three quarters of the Jungo road will be regraded and chemically treated to be smoother than most of the paved roads in the area. The latter quarter, however, is very dangerous crossing if you don't have extremely heavy-duty tires. Letting some of the pressure out of your tires can help dispense the pressure over a wider area, and has worked so far for my friend who uses the Jungo road to get to the playa at least twice a year. I would not, however, recommend trying it with P or LT rated tires. The rocks are very sharp, and the one person I know who attempted it with passenger tires got two flats, one going in each direction.
You have to go so slow on Jungo right now that the time required is basically the same as the paved road, even though the mileage is roughly half from winnemucca (I wish my town's name rhymed with motherfucka).
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:20 pm

i have worked in Winnemucca every summer for 7 years now. Jugo road is well travelled, witht he cyanide plant, and several large mines using it for daily operations. Yes the gold price ahs pushed more life into the desert there.

I have NEVER had a problem with using jungo road. Most of it can be traveled at subsonic speeds as you can see for miles ahead, and dust trails warn of impending traffic both coming and in front of you (most of the time) just make sure your tires arent down to the cords as it is a dirt road.
I am actually driving it on monday and will take some photos and upload them to here if someone can drop me the script to do so ( Im HTML impaired)

Later all be safe
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:38 am

Out as far as that last gold mine it's always great. But that's the only part that gets used regularly. From there to Trego can be pretty woolly. And the rocks ARE sharp. Just be careful.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:22 pm

The Exodus plan will be the final word as to which exits can be used from Black Rock City. I imagine the plan this year, like years past, will require that all vehicles (except certain vendors, law enforcement vehicles, and staff) exit using the main gate. It has to do with permit stipulations, as well as agreements coordinated with Nevada Highway Patrol.

In years past, cars who ignored instructions and used alternate exits have been ticketed.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:59 pm

On a side note to roads leading onto the playa, if followed out all the way to its entirety, doesn't the Jungo road lead to 447 just south of Gerlach?

Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:10 am

I'll using the road opposite from the cyanide plant. :roll:

avocado

Post by avocado » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 pm

I have NEVER had a problem with using jungo road. Most of it can be traveled at subsonic speeds as you can see for miles ahead, and dust trails warn of impending traffic both coming and in front of you (most of the time) just make sure your tires arent down to the cords as it is a dirt road.
I am actually driving it on monday and will take some photos and upload them to here if someone can drop me the script to do so ( Im HTML impaired)

Later all be safe
If you email me the images, I can post them for you...

ScoutDG

Post by ScoutDG » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Hmmm -- apparently the bone dry desert can be deceptive:
http://www.rgj.com//news/stories/html/2 ... 102078.php

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:17 pm

That article is from June. I haven't heard of any issues with mud recently. This time of year people complain about the opposite problem--dust.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”