How to trailer your art car to and from the Playa

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
eevil

How to trailer your art car to and from the Playa

Post by eevil » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:43 am

[b]Does anyone have any information on where to get a truck and flatbed trailer?

We have a 7000 pound art car that we want to trailer up. We are trying to find a rental company but it seems like no one rents flatbed trailers.

I found a 2 wheel dollie trailer but they don't have brakes and since our art car is so heavy we have to have brakes.

Any information will be a huge help

Thank

Peter

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:49 am

Buy one(Trailer), after rental the price difference probably won't be a whole lot more. when you get back sell it at a discount and you've paid what you would have rented one for.
T.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 am

Your asking for the wrong thing. What your want is a "car carrier". Do not know where your at but around hhere car ccarriers are all over the place. Most have two or more axels. No bottom boards, just tracks for the wheels. How tall and wide is this thing. 7000lb that's 2 tons or about three cars.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:53 pm

You are going to need a big tow vehicle and a trailer with brakes. If you don't know what kind of trailer you need you may be in over your head. Perhaps a visit to rv.net will shed light on the dangerous task of towing heavy ass things. Look for sections on trailers and fifth wheels.

We want you and your art car to arrive unmangled.

S3

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:24 pm

I do't know about these guys But I havw to pull three montain and a few steep grades. I know my load and tow before leaving the yard. Couple years ago some one loaded a car carrier with lumber. He was towng with a domestic pick-up. Less tha six blocks and he was dead. The load whiped the pick-up side down. The right trailer and tow is important AND do not depend on some yard monkey at Uhaul.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

eevil

Trailer and tow vehicle

Post by eevil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:22 pm

So far we have two options.

1 rent/borrow a car carrier with the rails that you drive up on. Dual axel with heavy duty brakes on the trailer. Rent a big ryder truck with diesel or V10 engine.

2 buy flatbet dual axel with heavy duty brakes. The trailer has been to burning man in the past as a dance floor.
Rent a big ryder truck with diesel or V10 engine.

We are stiil trying to decide on both. I didn't realize that it would be this hard to find a place to rent the truck and trailer.

anyone who knows of a place that will rent both would greatly be appreciated.

eevil at djeevil.com

We've built it there has got to be a way to get it up there

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”