The Gates Open at 12:01 but....

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Charlie_in_OC

The Gates Open at 12:01 but....

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 am

Okay, I know the gates open at 12:01 on Monday for regular arrivals but...

What time can / should you line up on Sunday?

Thanks! :D
"Do not follow where the path may lead; go instead, where there is no
path and leave a trail of clothes." - Pastor Philip

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:48 am

I'm guessing you want to be first or close to first in line? I don't know how long the line gets but I'm trying to get clarification.

Having not seen this, I'd guess that people will get there Saturday who'll be turned away due to lack of passes and others will get there Sunday for Monday arrival. It looks like these people park off to the side while those with permission to go in, just drive through. I'm not sure there will be a "line" that you can wait in early, just a crowd of people who are going to try to get in line so that they can enter around midnight.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby sputnik » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 am

I arrived around dusk last year on Sunday and was quite a distance back, I think once the gates opened it took about 2 hours to get in and get to the campsite. It was fun hanging in line and driving through the city at night with no moon and dust blowing everywhere. Very surreal. Much more so than any other time I have arrived.
It's going to be alright.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:43 am

We're arrived at both midnight and in the morning just after dawn. Honestly, Dawn got us in quicker and easier. But then, we camp in Hushville, so we don't have to rustle up a spot in the dark.

Charlie_in_OC

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks all!

Not so much concerned with being first in line, just trying to get a idea for travel time. Depending on how far I make it on Saturday, I could be on the Playa as early as 4PM Sunday.

As long as it is Okay to wait " off to the side " then that is perfect!

Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:49 pm

11:59.59PM would be my guess. Unless of course you are volunteering or with an Art installation, Camp, etc. In that case you should have some kind of weekend entry pass before heading out. Making camp in the dark isn't much fun, I prefer to setup camp sites early in the day around dawn. Nice to get alot down before the sun gets up there and starts cooking ya.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 pm

I'll be there on Weds the 22nd.

If ya wanna work the crazy shifts and hours I do and stretch yourself thinner than paper and do more than is humanly possible and grow to hate the event, and get in early enough (like the end of the event last year) you can, too. I bet you wouldn't w, and be so tired and burned out you go home to get away from it to relax.

WHY do people keep wanting to get in early? There's nothing there except us trying to get the city set up. There's no parties, there's no cruzin'... it's NOT like the event. Ya get yup, rustle up breakfast, work your ass off to dead exhaustion, and fall asleep until the sun comes up. No Bull.

Just my 2 cents, but it's not all its cracked up to being.

Hugz,
bb

dubz
Burning Since: 2007

Postby dubz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:41 pm

[quote="Bay Bridge Sue"][b]

WHY do people keep wanting to get in early?
[/b][/quote]

To give as much as they can to the huge energy pool that swirls about BRC?

I know I am showing up early, with early arrival passes, to work my scrawny ass off. I intend on being in full-on work (withsomebeersandbuds) mode for all day Saturday and Sunday. And to be honest, I would show up earlier if I could......

That's kinda how I roll though. I wouldn't have it any other way. You gotta work your ass off to make beautiful shit happen :)

Come see us at Disorient - 8:30 & Esplanade. I'll have a cold one for your hard-workin self!

Tristen

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:51 pm

They won't allow queing on the road, so if you arrive too early you'll get turned back. Plan to arrive sometime early Monday. Or take a hotel room in Reno and make the drive in the monring.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I'll be there on Weds the 22nd.

If ya wanna work the crazy shifts and hours I do and stretch yourself thinner than paper and do more than is humanly possible and grow to hate the event, and get in early enough (like the end of the event last year) you can, too. I bet you wouldn't w, and be so tired and burned out you go home to get away from it to relax.

WHY do people keep wanting to get in early? There's nothing there except us trying to get the city set up. There's no parties, there's no cruzin'... it's NOT like the event. Ya get yup, rustle up breakfast, work your ass off to dead exhaustion, and fall asleep until the sun comes up. No Bull.

Just my 2 cents, but it's not all its cracked up to being.

Hugz,
bb

I had more fun before the event started last year than I did the first year at the burn.
There was a little work to do.
Still fun.
I knew it would be before I ever went.

I met you on three o'clock plaza with one tent for blocks around.
The Hell Yeah We're Open Camp!
That was fun too.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:42 am

We were there so early we've already returned to Utah.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:29 am

:mrgreen:
Early shift, huh, AntiM?
:lol:

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

frenchblue1

Postby frenchblue1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Burners arrived last year thinking they would be getting in early but they stick to the time. The line was long according to a few of my friends who got their early. We waited in Reno and drove out to arrive at the gate at 12:30-1AM. The wait wasn't that long...It was fun to feel the energy that evening and watch the city start to build and come alive.
Leaving was a chore last year...hours in line.

RINGMASTER

Postby RINGMASTER » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:09 pm

we waited and got there about 9 or 10am on monday.. not really any line.. still plenty early enough to set up shop and have your pick of spots (if youre in a small enough group)

plan to arrive around the same time this year

barnz

"Queueing on the road"

Postby barnz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:They won't allow queing on the road, so if you arrive too early you'll get turned back.

Okay, I'm just curious. I'm only a second timer, and my arrival last year was, along with being in the dark, my first F***ing time, so I was pretty wild-eyed and discombobulated.

BUT based on my feeble memory and satellite images, it sure seems like the 'gate' was far off the highway, meaning that vehicles could easily be queued up on the playa, waiting for entrance to BRC without blocking the road to anybody...I mean it's more or less like Exodus in reverse (and faster!) :lol:

But I've seen comments like Crytofishist's above a few times here on ePlaya and wondering how much validity there is to that...

(and we're not coming early to party - we're coming for the non-theme-camp-land-grab!)

AntiM

Re: "Queueing on the road"

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:24 pm

barnz wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:They won't allow queing on the road, so if you arrive too early you'll get turned back.

Okay, I'm just curious. I'm only a second timer, and my arrival last year was, along with being in the dark, my first F***ing time, so I was pretty wild-eyed and discombobulated.

BUT based on my feeble memory and satellite images, it sure seems like the 'gate' was far off the highway, meaning that vehicles could easily be queued up on the playa, waiting for entrance to BRC without blocking the road to anybody...I mean it's more or less like Exodus in reverse (and faster!) :lol:

But I've seen comments like Crytofishist's above a few times here on ePlaya and wondering how much validity there is to that...

(and we're not coming early to party - we're coming for the non-theme-camp-land-grab!)

Um, no, not really. There's fencing in place, plus that part of the playa isn't flat and there's still vegetation closer to the highway. You'd have to see it in daylight. Probably violates some term of the BLM permit, I have no doubt. Porta potties become an issue too.

Exodus in reverse. shudder, the horror, the horror.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm not going to tell anyone what they can or cannot do nor what they should or shouldn't do. I can tell you what I did last year...

On the way up through Reno we just lucked out and spent much less time that Sunday filling 80 gallons of water, getting 50# dry ice, last minute shopping etc. (The Keystone plaza rocks)

We ended up at Empire for gas and local shopping by sundown, and at the BM gate at ~ 8 pm.

Went into will-call, got our tickets, drove into line (30 minutes) and were in by ~ 9 pm.

The greeters and gate told us that the local constable asked the BORG to open the gates early due to serious congestion on the highway and unsafe conditions this was creating. This last part unconfirmed rumor, of course.

Will the gate open at dusk again this year? Who knows. You take your chances if you show up before midnight.

Should you worry about it? Fuck no! Worst case scenario; you kick it with a bunch of burners on the side of the road or the will-call lot.

What if soo many people show up and a hundred kittens die? Worry not, the BORG staff and BLM have been doing this for decades. They are all grown up and can handle whatever chaos and mayhem we conjure up.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:24 pm

If a hundred kittens die, I am going to have on kickass fur coat!

MrMullen

Postby MrMullen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:27 pm

I don't know how to tell you people this, but don't fucking queue in line!!!

The Org does not want to let you in early and it fucks them up with BLM. Sorry, you are just not cool enough or what not but you can't enter until 12:01 am Monday. Just suck it up and plan to arrive at BM at 12:01a. Do not plan to wait in line, just arrive at 12:01a. It causes headaches with the Org, the Police and puts the Greeters in a shit place because they have to keep you people in line.

If you have to arrive later than 12:01a Monday, they still plan to burn the Man, have Critical Tits, have art, the bars are open all night and the event will still be better last year. Trust me, arriving early does nothing but make the Org look bad.

Thank you for your time.
--
Mr Mullen

Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 am

Token wrote:I'm not going to tell anyone what they can or cannot do nor what they should or shouldn't do. I can tell you what I did last year...

The greeters and gate told us that the local constable asked the BORG to open the gates early due to serious congestion on the highway and unsafe conditions this was creating. This last part unconfirmed rumor, of course.

Should you worry about it? Fuck no! Worst case scenario; you kick it with a bunch of burners on the side of the road or the will-call lot.

Worst case scenario you get a nice ticket.. in Nevada they have to be paid ON THE SPOT if you're from out of town. Best case scenario you get turned away and made to drive off. If that happens be sure to hang out in Schurz.. they just love burners hanging out on the side of the road.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Just remember that the side of the road is SOFT!. You could end up spending your burn diggine your vehicle out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Just remember that the side of the road is SOFT!. You could end up spending your burn diggine your vehicle out.

Good point. If you repeat it, the message might sink in better. Oh wait. Never mind. :wink:

Tom.Jennings

Postby Tom.Jennings » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:35 am

Token wrote:Should you worry about it? Fuck no! Worst case scenario; you kick it with a bunch of burners on the side of the road or the will-call lot.

What if soo many people show up and a hundred kittens die? Worry not, the BORG staff and BLM have been doing this for decades. They are all grown up and can handle whatever chaos and mayhem we conjure up.

Umm, I hate to be the asshole here (actually, no I don't), but BMorg ain't your parents, and this isn't a rock concert. There's only "us" there, you're making work for the rest of us. BLM fairly hates us already.

I'm not big on ideology -- even burner -- but you gotta get out of a consumer mindset here. You're taking part in a shared experience, what you do, someone else experiences too, and vicey verser. Don't pee in the fucken pool!

Token

Postby Token » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 am

Funny, I thought the BLM loved us on account of the $3/4 million we dump on them every year so they can all get IR cameras installed in the SUV cruisers and record our naked asses at night.

All I'm saying is that folks need to relax. Most of us are driving in from afar and some will get there before midnight, some after midnight. Shit happens, chill out.

See what I mean. three dead kittens already and we still got two weeks to go. AntiM is getting that coat.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 pm

If the blm is too much trouble, I'm completely cool with moving somewhere else.

Tom.Jennings

Postby Tom.Jennings » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:12 pm

Token wrote:Funny, I thought the BLM loved us on account of the $3/4 million we dump on them every year so they can all get IR cameras installed in the SUV cruisers and record our naked asses at night.

You'd think that plus all the free pot would do it, nope. Apparently it's a long story, but BLM gets all wildass w/burners leaving three boa feathers on the playa, but has no problem with ATVers dumping motor oil on the dunes elsewhere. Rednecks OK, hippies,... bad. (The BLM cops that physically show up don't seem to be a problem; it's the bureaucrats in NV and DC that have the hair up their ass.)

Token wrote:All I'm saying is that folks need to relax. Most of us are driving in from afar and some will get there before midnight, some after midnight. Shit happens, chill out.

Ayup, shit happens. But there's no sense in holding it in until you get N. of Gerlock, then pooing on the playa for others to clean up. [/quote]

See what I mean. three dead kittens already and we still got two weeks to go. AntiM is getting that coat.

That's just part of the live sacrifices the BLM requires.

Badger

Postby Badger » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:42 pm

...vehicles could easily be queued up on the playa, waiting for entrance to BRC without blocking the road to anybody...I mean it's more or less like Exodus in reverse (and faster!)

Um, no it's not. Though Exodus can be a slow, almost glacial experience at times it does work. Part of both why it works and why it is not like coming into the event has everything to do with the fact that the Gate doesn't check your vehicle upon leaving.

Also, someone mentioned above that cuing along the main highway will not be tolerated by either the local law enforcement or the Nevada Highway Patrol. If enough people insist on 'being first' when the gates open that result in cues along the main highway you can expect to be redirected. You might also note that it's an option for law enforcement to cite you. This also includes cuing off the road itself which is never a good idea because of the likelihood you'lll get mired in the soft sand.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Charlie_in_OC

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks to all who posted usefull information.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:20 pm

BLM LE officers get on a VOLUNTARTY list to come from around the nation. Nevada BLM only has a dozen or so officers available,

They like being there.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:56 pm

The BLM holds a lottery for the officers to see who gets to go, from the outside jurisdiction.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”