RV Water Re-supply?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
FlamingFart

RV Water Re-supply?

Post by FlamingFart » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:25 am

This will be our first year in an RV. Does anyone know if besides the waste removal trucks that come around to drain the septic tank if there is also a truck that can replenish fresh (although probably not drinkable) water supply?

Thanks in advance for your dusty wisdom.

Sizzlebutt

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:45 am

You will not be able to find replacement water out there. I suggest you bring what you need to refill your RV. You can flag down one of the trucks to pump out the waste holding tanks. Those are specific trucks that will have RV marked on them. Bring cash as that is all they accept. Expect to pay $50-60 depending on the size of your coach. Also, their hoses are 50' long so if that is a service you will require, park accordingly. Conserve water when you can and use the porta potties.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:35 am

What ever happened to "There will be no commerce allowed on the playa and there are no services at Black Rock City other than volunteer organized EMS and Ranger and other volunteer groups.

Comming to town to get paid cash to haul off someone's human refuse is DEFINITELY commerce.

I'd rather have RV's be banned than have water and sewer vending trucks crisscrossing town selling their wares.

Nothing personal, but this question/topic really focuses nicely on some 'what made Black Rock City special in the past that is changing' ideas.
We came to the playa originally to get away from it all and the RV just brings all of the airconditioning/polution/refrigeration in another prefab box that keeps you away from the natural environment where you don't need to adjust your mindset in any way to attend or just spectate the event.
The original 'no commerce' mandate was one to get people to connect in genuine human-to-human interaction and intimacy.

If you have an RV, you have room to bring a few barrels of water with you to our city. Could you be a provider and sharer of resources rather than just a consumer looking for a retailer? Carwashes often have barrels they're trying to get rid of that come in 15 30 and 55 gallon sizes.
You could bring that for non-potable shower water. Hardware stores sell 5 gallon buckets with lids for under $3. Bring a dozen of these with tap water and set them on on the street edge of your camp. I'm sure there will be SOMEONE out there who didn't bring enough water to drink, and there's always the 'oops, just popped my whole water supply bag' scenario.

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:13 am

You must remember that many of us are there long before the city is open and long after it is closed. Some more than others. The trucks are not selling water. They are removing waste. This service is provided for the same reason that ice is sold. It relates to health and safety of everyone. Bringing a barrel of someone elses' waste water is neither practical nor smart. I would not wish to shower in car wash water and a barrel weighs 490 pounds. I don't even fill my holding tanks until I get to Reno. I do not wish the extra weight. Also, if the waste water service were not provided, there would be a certain percentage of people would would open the valves and dump their waste on the Playa. As far as RV's go in general we must agree to disagree. I personally put in many hours during the event and I need quality rest time so I can continue to work the next day. There are others who require that level of shelter for health reasons. Should they be excluded because they are not as resistant to the elements as others? No, the event is for everyone. I am much happier seeing the trucks pump the motorhomes than I am seeing the pee and poo all over the open Playa in the morning. The trucks are going to be there anyway sevicing the porta potties, to them it is one more stop to service an RV. For many years I camped in a tent and had no problem. This year one of our camp mates is bringing his father. He is 87 and always wanted to see BM. He will be sheltered much of the day time hours for health reasons. This issue cannot be looked at as black or white. There is always the human factor to consider. I respect your opinion and I do indeed understand the basis of your feelings, but there are always exceptions.
Now I must apologize for hijacking this thread. You may return to your regularly schedule broadcast. And BTW, stop by Brain Freeze camp and have a frozen margarita, we can discuss this issue inside the AC RV. Ok, at least come by and have that margarita.

frenchblue1

Re: RV Water Re-supply?

Post by frenchblue1 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:59 pm

FlamingFart wrote:Does anyone know if besides the waste removal trucks that come around to drain the septic tank if there is also a truck that can replenish fresh (although probably not drinkable) water supply?
Do not put non-potable water in to your holding tank! It's non-potable for a reason. Putting that stuff in your freshwater tank may contaminate it for future use. The fresh water trucks that are out there will not bring you water. Some may have been successful before by trying to bribe them but really the only service is for pumping out. The fresh water that is out there I believe goes to center camp, rangers, etc. You should bring a back up barrel of water and not expect to be succeful in finding it...We had a camp mate wait 2 days for this driver to come over that said he would do it. I think they learned their lesson to bring their provisions like everyone else.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Dustdevil wrote:You will not be able to find replacement water out there. I suggest you bring what you need to refill your RV. You can flag down one of the trucks to pump out the waste holding tanks. Those are specific trucks that will have RV marked on them. Bring cash as that is all they accept. Expect to pay $50-60 depending on the size of your coach. Also, their hoses are 50' long so if that is a service you will require, park accordingly. Conserve water when you can and use the porta potties.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had 30ft hoses only. Is this old info on the ORG website?

Surplus places have 55 gal drums for as little as 20 bucks. A little drunken engineering and you can pump and refill on your own without making a mess. Just be prepared to haul the grey/black filled drums out of BRC. Also make sure you have a wrench and caps for your drums.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:32 pm

The other problem with using 55's is that most RV's have narrow doors. A 55 won't fit through the door. If it is a toy hauler or you have a trailer, that is another option. In reality, the last thing I wish to be doing out there is dealing with gray water. I need to be pumped after two weeks if I really conserve my usage.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:04 pm

I have an extra storage bladder that holds 45 gallons. It folds up and is made out of the same material that is used for waterbeds. Makes it easy if you have storage area underneath...you will just need a little water pump to make it transfer. Camping world has them

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”