Fifth Wheel

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Nightterror

Fifth Wheel

Post by Nightterror » Fri May 02, 2008 12:41 pm

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram that is a short bed and a 32ft Fifth Wheel trailer.

I have been told I can't pull the trailer with a shortbed because it will hit the cab. In this economy, I can't sell the truck and I can't sell the trailer.

Any advice - Please?

Thanks in advance.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri May 02, 2008 1:00 pm

saw off the roof of your truck and remember to duck when turning corners. That's always worked for me

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:saw off the roof of your truck and remember to duck when turning corners. That's always worked for me
buahahahahahaha
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 pm

That seems unlikely because a lot of people pull fifth-wheels with shortbeds, but I guess it depends on just how your trailer is built.
The best forum to ask this question is here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... rum/24.cfm
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Find your power animal

Post by Token » Fri May 02, 2008 7:27 pm

For short bed 5th wheel hauling there is a cool invention called the Slide Hitch. It allows full 180 degree side to side by sliding the hitch back from the optimal axle location after the turn exceeds a maximum angle.

Here is some manufacturer propaganda that illustrates how these work

http://www.pullrite.com/mm6.htm

oleg8888

Re: Fifth Wheel

Post by oleg8888 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 pm

Nightterror wrote:I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram that is a short bed and a 32ft Fifth Wheel trailer.
So you never towed it? :?:
Just curiose, how did you end up with these?

Nightterror

Re: Fifth Wheel

Post by Nightterror » Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 pm

oleg8888 wrote:
Nightterror wrote:I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram that is a short bed and a 32ft Fifth Wheel trailer.
So you never towed it? :?:
Just curiose, how did you end up with these?
I bought an old trailer from a friend who towed it to my property so I could camp their on the weekends. We have land in Palomino Valley outside of Reno. A year later I bought the Dodge from another friend. After six years of tent camping at Burningman, the wife wants to take the trailer. I was told by a cowboy at work that I couldn't pull the trailer with the shortbed. When I bought the truck, I had no plans to ever move the trailer so I didn't care it was a shortbed.

The slider seems the right option but it is xxxxxxxpensive. The RV blog site had good info. I will do more research and report back.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I drive an 18wheeler, but am not familiar with pickup truck recievers. I realize the placement of the fifthwheel is critical to the weight load on the truck bed. But can the fifth wheel be moved to the rear of the bed, to provide clearance from the cab? If so, you might be able to alter the mounting base of the fifth wheel..like welding on a larger one to disperse the weight over a larger area...moving the weight forward in the bed. Provided its a solid weld...altering the frame on a tractor is illegal. would suck to lose the trailer. And would doubly suck to catch it with your vehicle. Just a thought..good luck
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:39 pm

I also drive and wrench on 18 (and more) wheelers, and haul a lot of heavy equipment.
It doesn't make ANY difference how solidly you attach the hitch, or how much area the mount spreads the weight across. The hitch is already solidly attached to the frame, through the floor of the bed. It's effectively one piece. Adding metal to the hitch mount will make it harder to break, but will not magically shift the weight from where it lies.
The ONLY thing that affects the load distribution front/rear is the placement of the hitch pin.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:23 am

can the kingpin be moved forward ? safely...

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:03 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:saw off the roof of your truck and remember to duck when turning corners. That's always worked for me
Personally I loved this solution! The only disadvantage I can see is that you won't be able to keep the playa dust out of the cab.

TomServo

Tow dolly

Post by TomServo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:51 pm

American RV rents a fifth wheel tow dolly for about 39 bucks a day. They can be purchased for under $1000.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”