best way to travel from reno to burning man?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
elijacob
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Things That Swing

best way to travel from reno to burning man?

Post by elijacob » Mon May 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Basically, I'd like to know what's the smallest, cheapest, least gas-guzzling rental car I can get away with for me and my girlfriend to get from Reno to Burning Man? We will be sending most of our stuff via the container from NYC, and flying into Reno. In Reno, we will purchase 35 gallons of water and food for the week and shove it into a rental car. Thanks. Eli.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm

The smallest one may not have the best mileage once you add 280 pounds of water to it.
The three cylinder cars will typically have the best mileage, though sometimes they can't run the air and drive too.
If they have one they think no one wants, they may discount it.
That happened to me with a wagon in Nesconset.
Much has been posted about whether you should tell them where you are going with the car.
Having your own insurance can save you a lot.

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 pm

The way rental companies turn their cars over you aren't likely to find out exactly what will be available when you arrive. You can sometimes do a little shopping around after you arrive - make a reservation for the cheapest economy car you can find at an airport location. Once you're at the rental car center, stop at a few other company counters and ask what they have available. If they have a higher than normal MPG car like a fit or yaris, ask if they'll match the price and rent with them instead. Maybe look up a few common models ahead of time here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

The reservation is really just a way to lock in the terms, there should be no penalty for backing out at the last moment. Just like they can back out and not provide the type of car you reserved.

Another alternative might be to find a couple more burners at the airport to ride out with you and help pay for an upgrade to a van.

Funky Monkey Mech

Post by Funky Monkey Mech » Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm

There is also tons of burners going through reno i am sure if you want to you can also ask around and see if you can get a ride with somebody just for the cost of gas and maybe doing a little of the driving... i for one am doing a carpool me and my girlfriend are going to pick up 2 or 3 camp mates so far in my bus maybe more if i have free space left i will send you a message to see if you would rather car pool instead... right now i am sorta keeping it to camp mates because we got a few flying into LA and SF from Australia and Canada so if they all decide to ride up with me i might not have any space left... but will keep you updated...
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 am

If you can alter your plans to fly via Sacramento, the owner of the downtown AVIS dealership is very burner-friendly. Call Steve Gatkin at (916) 446-2695 and tell him Dr. Pyro sent you. Also, this is a little-known fact: If you have a CostCo card, AVIS will give you a discount on your rental. Other burners in the past have told me that Steve has gotten them the same car at about a third less than his competition. Sacramento is about two hours west of Reno, and you can either buy your stuff there, in Auburn, or wait until you get over the Sierras and buy it in Reno. Either way, it is a better deal than trying to rent in Reno.

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Fri May 16, 2008 5:39 am

Stand in front of the Sands Regency and stick out your thumb.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 am

dont listen to any of these people, they only want to send you on a wild moose chase.

the best way, and i mean BEST way to get to the site from reno, is on mushrooms.
Frida Be You & Me

Vampira

Post by Vampira » Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:dont listen to any of these people, they only want to send you on a wild moose chase.

the best way, and i mean BEST way to get to the site from reno, is on mushrooms.

I've heard this before! :D
http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm

~VvvV~

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Theres a bus service out there that delivers to playa from Reno

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm

In my opinion, the bestest way to get to Gerlach from pretty much anywhere in the universe is to simply 'fold space'. That's what I do every year to get to BRC from Seattle. Sure, it takes a metric fuckton of spice, but well worth the time saved.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Seattle to BRC is only a 5 worm trip.

ThePaperLeaf

RENT CARS IN RENO

Post by ThePaperLeaf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

I always rent the cheapest, smallest car listed with a rental company. They rent more of these than they have and are forced to upgrade some number of reservations in order to honor them. It is totally up to the discretion of the counter clerk.

One year I walked up to the counter in non-burner clothes, wheeling my little black luggage. I was not going to BM, but it was the first day & I looked like the only clean person in the airport. The clerk stood on her tip toes to look over the counter at my luggage & gave me a once-over. She then asked "would you like an upgrade?" I said only if it didn't cost me anything. (they try to get you to pay for an upgrade when they know they'll have to give it to you anyway).

Long story short: for my $100/wk reservation of a midget car, I drove off in a Lincoln Continental. Wowee!

Groups might want to consider having a presentable person go to the counter to claim the car. Leave all duffle bags with the group.
"Sam" from Tahoe
The Paper Leaf

"Knowing and not doing is the same as not doing.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:19 am

My buddy Mouse took the Bio Bus last YEar LOVED IT !! Kinda a Hippy Bus - But when they ended up being LAte- Dropped our little virgin right in front of Camp!!!!
Cheaper plane tickets to fly into SAC airport. Make Sure to Spread the Water load thur out the Car if its real small... Not alll in trunk some in back seat some in front...

Could someone pppppppllllleeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeee show me the Worm Hole Route from Seattle To BRC!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 am

the one that it shows you when you mapquest it is the one to use

the last good place to shop for supplies is in Kalamath Falls

Wait until you are in Alturas before buying liquor....way cheaper than oregon.

If you have a lot of weight use your lower gear when coming downhill at Cedar Pass.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 am

I prefer the Honda Fit over the Toyota Yaris.

The BEST way is via flying carpet

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:58 am

NO I WANT THE WORM HOLE ROUTE

Not the stupid real ONE... Believe ME- I know that ONE!!!

ANd I make sure to have all my supplies BEfore I LEAVE 'cause I don't want to have to worry about what TIme I'm gettin' to different towns or places. And we did run in to a problem one year trying to buy BOOZE on Sunday somewhere - Oregon maybe??

Ohhhhh I love love the the Hooka Dome peeps they rock the PLAYA - I think thats their Magic Carpet!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

phil

Post by phil » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:55 pm

One poster here says he's "flying solo in a Hexayurt." Maybe you can yurtpool with him. (Her? whatever)

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm

<3 Simon!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 am

Book your trip with Orbitz.
[youtube][/youtube]
They have a hovercraft.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:dont listen to any of these people, they only want to send you on a wild moose chase.

Hell yea. I'm riding out there on my unicorn and some amazonians this year. :shock:
-AJ )'(

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”