GASP...... how about the exodus...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Josh-n-Cody
Burning Since: 2008

GASP...... how about the exodus...

Post by Josh-n-Cody » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 am

Total newbie and wondering... when do most people leave....

i'm sure trying to plan for when 40K + people are leaving on a two lane road .... but...

i read a post about the exodus peepee dance.. and more portapotties along the route out? it really takes HOURS and HOURS?

what is a reasonable time to think of leaving....

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 am

No line by wednesday.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 am

Be prepared for hours and hours. The more obnoxious exit times are obviously less populated, therefore quicker trip - such as 2:00 am after the burn, immediately before the burn, etc......

The BMIR radio station should be broadcasting info about wait times - although it's not yet perfect scientific data.

Josh-n-Cody

Post by Josh-n-Cody » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:23 pm

So in the BM info page... they talk about the permit for leaving the site as ending 11:59 pm on monday night.....

is the majority of people actually leaving sunday time ish? or do they wait until monday morning? late monday afternoon?

or is the whole "be off the playa by 11:59 pm monday" not a real thing.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Can you stay and extra day and volunteer for Exodus? Exodus really, really sucks. Read about our experience at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/bm2004.html
and follow the links to Brad's photos, as well.

If you stay till Tuesday and volunteer to help at Exodus, you get to stay with permission, and you get to actually help make Exodus better. They need people inside the gate to guide people away from lanes with breakdowns and into lanes which have less traffic. This helps people reach blacktop faster.

Last year, Louise and I got chips for a free meal at the BMOrg cafeteria for each shift we pulled. This turned out to be a real boon, as one meal came during a particularly nasty whiteout, and we got to eat a cooked meal in a drafty tent instead of trying to cook one in our shade structure during 50 MPH or so winds. (Louise has hypoglycemia, so skipping meals isn't an option.)

See http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html and follow the link to the volunteer questionnaire - tell them there that you want to volunteer for Exodus.

If I recall, this is your first year, so I hesitate to suggest that you take on tasks your first time out. I generally suggest that first timers do nothing except be there absorbing it all. I encourage others who are frustrated by Exodus to volunteer and stay the extra day, missing the mess.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:49 pm

You can stay after monday but only if you are doing something useful.
There is always somebody needing help with something.

I actually volunteered for something before I ever got there.
The department I picked wouldn't take me until I had done an event.
Too bad.
I would have been great for them my first year.
Too busy now.
I always knew I wanted to help set up and whatnot.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 pm

I totally understand and thank those who help out with exodus.
that being said,...I have had some of the most memorable and wonderful experiences in the old exodus line.

only stating this to show that some, even if only a few, aren't that frustrated with exodus.

Last kisses are the deepest
blow.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:08 pm

> only stating this to show that some, even if only a few, aren't that
> frustrated with exodus.

Always glad to hear that. We met hundreds of friendly folks as we flagged at the intersection just before Gerlach. We'll be out there again, so wave as you go by.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 pm

I will Phil. I'll hopefully run into you earlier in the week though.

I live north so I may scuttle out the other way across the tracks onto Jungo.(I have a 4x4 rig that can handle Jungo and all) I'll miss exodus if i go that way....but I still may.

If i do hit exodus I'll be takin' a right and heading north west and missing Gerlach and probably you and Louise too.

But I'll have my eye out for you.
eplaya meet and greet?

see you soon
blow.

lonestoner916

Exodus can be fun!

Post by lonestoner916 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Sure it's hot, there's no where to pee, and you're stuck in line, but so is everyone else around you! Last year, Sunday, mid-morning, we'd been in the Exodus line for about two hours and were a litle less than half way out. No one in the car had anything to drink and we were dying of thirst. This woman came up to the passenger side where I was sitting and bummed a smoke. I gave her one even though I only had two left because the pack had been gifted to me, but I remember being mildly annoyed as I did so, because I knew I would want that other cigarette long before we hit paved road. A few minutes later the woman came back and gave us all an ice cold coke! I gave her a hug, and the soda raised our spirits, so we turned on the radio and cranked up the tunes and soon the other passenger and I were sitting on the roof of the Jeep, dancing and toasting the other cars with our coke cans... When we finally made it to the main road only to be stuck behind a stalled RV for another hour, no one minded! :lol:
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't know the stats, but would hazard that 15%-20% of participants are from the northwest. They drive down from Cedarville. Once they've cleared the Exodus jam they take a right turn at the first fork in the blacktop and it's smooth sailing. Would it be helpful if there was some Exodus provision that would allow those driving north to bypass the main crowd jammed up on the playa? I would think that reducing the initial jam would reduce some of the overall pressure.

The blacktop is the bottle neck for those traveling north. It would be easy to designate a lane on the playa for northbound folks, but getting past the traffic on the blacktop...I dunno how you would do that...unless the northbound playa lane stayed on the playa until just adjacent the intersection north of Gerlach at which point they would pop out on the road, cross traffic and head north. And given the relative small numbers of vehicles leaving that way would only slow traffic briefly.

I can see BLM issues, but nothing that couldn't be resolved.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:10 pm

BLM runs the show on exodus. the permit spells out exactly when and what exit to use. There is the 3 mile, 8 mile, 12 mile entrances on the west side, and the microwave crossing to Jungo road on the east. BLm want to minimize footprint, so thats their motivation.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 am

Yeah, I was certain that would be the case...BLM has no concern about how long the wait in line is, that's for sure.

It's so tantalizing...when you look at the BM footprint on Google Earth you can see the faint outline of 2-3 old tracks heading southwest...possibly old entrance roads to BRC. Extending one of those tracks further to the south in a line that pops out at the first fork in the hardball is about 3 miles...so close, yet so far away. Oh well...

Marscrumbs

Like parachutes in reverse

Post by Marscrumbs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Bungle cords and skyhooks! That's the ticket out.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:30 pm

dragonpilot wrote:when you look at the BM footprint on Google Earth you can see the faint outline of 2-3 old tracks heading southwest...possibly old entrance roads to BRC.
Nope. That's where the Donner Party crossed the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Josh-n-Cody

We have "real" 4WD...

Post by Josh-n-Cody » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:08 pm

mdmf007 wrote:BLM runs the show on exodus. the permit spells out exactly when and what exit to use. There is the 3 mile, 8 mile, 12 mile entrances on the west side, and the microwave crossing to Jungo road on the east. BLm want to minimize footprint, so thats their motivation.
so.... WHERE IS THE jUNGA rOAD... AND WHERE DOES IT LEAD?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm

The Jungo road leads to Jungo.

Then it goes on to Winnemucca, but really.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Craftsmn

Post by Craftsmn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 am

Does anyone know what kind of road is Route 48/49 between Gerlach and Winnemucca? Paved or gravel County Rd? Google maps says 100 mi and 6.5 hours. Taking the normal route of 447 to I80 is 210 miles 3.5 hours. (Without delays of course).

Seems like it could be an interesting route home going east, but not much quicker. The road goes through about 5 small towns so I assume it is fairly decent.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:01 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The Jungo road leads to Jungo.

Craftsmn. - 48/449 is known as Jungo Sulfur Road from Winnemucca, and simply Jungo road from Gerlach.

Jungo road turns into Jungo-Sulfur Road. Jungo is a mining village, Sulfur is an actual mine.

The road has a few spurs tohat goes to individiual mines. The main route though is Gerlach - to Winnemucca. We consistently cruise 70+ on it in the straight stretches. Slow down on the corners, severalk of them are 90 degree turns. 2 rail crossings. - both of which have been recently flattened so tractor trailers can cross them. this is the shortest route from NE of BM, like SLC, Boise, Montana etc. It is hard packed clay and is hard as asphalt. in the last few years it has gotten progressively better in condition.

BLM downplays this road as a route to BM, as it is primarily a mining road. While open to the public as a publicly owned road. The mines do 99% of the maintenance. Caving to pressure the BLM downplays it, since the mining companies dont want 50000 people using "their" road.

We use it 10 times a year for projects all without problem

Josh-n-Cody

Perfect Info!

Post by Josh-n-Cody » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:15 pm

mdmf007 wrote:

Craftsmn. - 48/449 is known as Jungo Sulfur Road from Winnemucca, and simply Jungo road from Gerlach.

Jungo road turns into Jungo-Sulfur Road. Jungo is a mining village, Sulfur is an actual mine.

The road has a few spurs tohat goes to individiual mines. The main route though is Gerlach - to Winnemucca. We consistently cruise 70+ on it in the straight stretches. Slow down on the corners, severalk of them are 90 degree turns. 2 rail crossings. - both of which have been recently flattened so tractor trailers can cross them. this is the shortest route from NE of BM, like SLC, Boise, Montana etc. It is hard packed clay and is hard as asphalt. in the last few years it has gotten progressively better in condition.

BLM downplays this road as a route to BM, as it is primarily a mining road. While open to the public as a publicly owned road. The mines do 99% of the maintenance. Caving to pressure the BLM downplays it, since the mining companies dont want 50000 people using "their" road.

THANK YOU! When exiting the event, i suppose you go thru an "East" entrance/exit? We are heading to SLC after the event...

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 pm

I always leave tuesday through the microwave exit. at the NE side of the playa. Monday may be a little tougher, BLM may chase you down and insist you go out with the others. -

tuesday or wednesday has never been a problem.

Craftsmn

Post by Craftsmn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks mdmf007 for the info. It may be an interesting & different route to take on the way home.

Oh yeah, where is that secret East entrance/exit?

Josh and Cody I do not believe there is any way to shorten the time of your departure during exodus unless you leave Saturday before the man burns or Tuesday after, or possible Sun./ Mon. at 4 am in the morning.

Exodus is just part of the BurningMan experience. Hopefully by the end of the week you will be in such a state of bliss that a 4 to 6 hour wait to get to I 80 won't be a big deal.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:34 pm

mdmf007 wrote:

Jungo only pawn in game of life.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 pm

[quote="Craftsmn"]Thanks mdmf007 for the info. It may be an interesting & different route to take on the way home.

Oh yeah, where is that secret East entrance/exit?

Josh and Cody I do not believe there is any way to shorten the time of your departure during exodus...........quote]

It is called the "microwave entrance/exit" it is located at the north east end of the playa past the dunes on playa. The microwave tower is a railroad repeater about 100 feet high on the edge of the playa, the entrance from Playa to Jungo road is there.

Google earth it, and follow jungo road, where playa comes closest to the road on the NE side is where the tower is.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 pm

what about the sticker I have for a Playa Tunnel Pass?

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”