Do people sneak in?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:29 pm

He's a liar, a press pass does not get you in.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:47 pm

I thought media still had to buy a ticket?

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I'd love to be there when some media asshole flashes his media pass at the gate and tries to get in!

This reminds me of one of my favorite sneekin'-in-the-gate stories; I told it once before but so what...

We had a girl who hid in a closet in the RV, naked. She was "found" by the gate staff... holding her ticket in her teeth... the gate enjoyed "busting" her!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 pm

There were a lot more press people last year after Burn Alpha.
I saw war photographers lining up on fire art.
I expect there will be some interesting photos as a result.
I wonder if they made an exception because of that?
I think we got the hardcore press team last year.
I wonder if that will carry over this year?

I think those guys were pretty bored when nothing else unexpected happened.

If we could take out a LOUD camp with an Abrahms, that would perk them right up.

Hmmmm....

User avatar
lonestoner916
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Gerlach, Nevada
Contact:

No Way!

Post by lonestoner916 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Press credentials will get you nothing, even if you pre-register all you get is the official BM Press laminate which says right on it that you ain't nothing special. It's great Shwag though, my Press Pass is one of my favorite things I got last year, and I can't wait to see what this year's will look like. EVERYBODY from the media buys a ticket!
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Now I want one to go with my nasa credentials!

mcgurt27
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:17 am

Post by mcgurt27 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am

you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.

User avatar
Fire_Moose
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 am

It's not yer time young padawan...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

User avatar
mudpuppy000
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
It's not $350 if you buy your ticket ahead of time, or apply for a low income ticket. You just have to prepare better.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
It's not $350 if you buy your ticket ahead of time, or apply for a low income ticket. You just have to prepare better.
Not to mention the ticket isn't much of the final price when you add in gas and what not.

Of course, wait another five years and burningman will be undercut by the chinese who will take the idea and find cheap land, cheap infrastructure (can you say "Porta Potty Rupture"? Three times? Fast?) cheap man builds and the like.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:53 am

mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
Yeah, well, I wanna go to Fiji and India and Scotland and Moldavia (no, really) and Prague, but I'm not trying to go for free. I also want a hot tub, a gazebo, my mortgage paid off, no arthritis in my feet, and world peace. I ain't getting all that, except maybe the hot tub if we pay off the car this year.

If you start saving now, you could have the price of a low income ticket by the time they go one sale. $20 a month should do it. You can do that much in aluminum cans in a weekend if you try. Or go for a summer job picking produce. That pays amazingly well.

http://www.takeourjobs.org/?283c4ce0

bdeywoo
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm
Location: Biggest Little City

Post by bdeywoo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:04 pm

mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
If you can not figure out how you can afford the price of entry.....trust me you REALLY can not afford the trip.

The cost of the ticket is nothing compared to the cost of the trip. Gas and food alone cost more than that for most.

User avatar
Mojojita
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Post by Mojojita » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
This is really wrong for so many reasons. In fact, it is almost trollish in it's relative lack of rational thought. You cannot really be suggesting that if you don't think you have enough money, you should use just enough money to get there, then be justified in sneaking in. How is that not some bullshit entitlement? So if I want a 50inch tv I should just steal one because I want to enjoy the Superbowl too?

As previously mentioned, there are low-income tickets and scholarship tickets. Tickets are also often provided for people who work for them with various large installations and theme camps. (Operative term is work) A number of people I know, myself included, buy tickets as gifts every year. People who sneak in ARE freeloading jerks, regardless of how much money they do or do not have.

I would like nothing better right now than to look you in the eye as I say this - this little party in the desert has become a big part of my life over the past dozen years. To me, people sneaking in are stealing from ME - not just the BMORG, not the citizens of Black Rock City as a group, but just as if they had their hand in my pocket.

I'm a big fan of the stupid tax and firmly believe that people caught sneaking in should get one chance to buy a ticket (at a very inflated price). If they are caught again, they should be turned over to LEO's for prosecution.

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 17252
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: เชียงใหม่

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Posts: 1

User avatar
Mojojita
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Post by Mojojita » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Posts: 1
I love U Dougly......

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Post by Rice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Um, if you cannot afford to go, don't. Times are tough, sure, but lots of people somehow afford to go...


The going rates for 09 for dumasses trying to sneak in were:

1. Both a stupid tax and a full-price ticket.
2. If attitude was given, a friendly & frisky discussion with the LE and a citation were in order, then a stupid tax and a full-price ticket.
3. A not-so-pleasant encounter with LE, citation & a chance to experience incarceration, plus the pleasure of being permanently banned from the event.


Perimeter notices when a vehicle drives past the turnoff & takes 5 minutes to turn around. All vehicle traffic outside the closure area is noticed. Walking in is not a good idea, especially if you lie down on the ground to try and avoid detection (scraping those free-loading hippies off the tires is a pain in the ass).

User avatar
capjbadger
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters
Location: Horus' Left Armpit

Post by capjbadger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Posts: 1
Image

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

User avatar
Fire_Moose
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 am

But i already picked up a bunch of troll food...

Image
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Post by Minxy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 am

I think sneaking in sucks. It's shady and as Mojojita stated, it's stealing from everyone who pays for a ticket and is a part of the BRC community that year (IMO).

I have an...acquaintance that sneaks in every year. Always makes me respect her a little less. It's lame.

People collect cans, sell off personal items, make stuff for Etsy to afford Burning Man. There's no excuse for stealing from your community. If you can't afford it, don't go!

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:26 am

at a point, I will catch you.

Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 am

Minxy wrote:I think sneaking in sucks. It's shady and as Mojojita stated, it's stealing from everyone who pays for a ticket and is a part of the BRC community that year (IMO).

I have an...acquaintance that sneaks in every year. Always makes me respect her a little less. It's lame.
How does she sneak in?

It isn't that hard.
Show up a few weeks early, work every day, and everyone will assume you belong there.
Presto, you're in.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4678
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Post by Token » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am

Nope. They do issue wrist bands early on and gate/perrimiter staff do check regularly on Playa.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 am

mcgurt27 wrote:you guys act like all the people who don't wanna pay do so out of some bullshit principal. But for most of us who don't wanna pay $350 it's because we can't AFFORD to, not because we are freeloading jerks. It's an expensive trip, and us poor people wanna go too.
Still a piss poor excuse. I might want to take an around the world cruise or live in a $10 million mansion. I don't be cause I can't AFFORD to. So I don't take the cruise or own the mansion. That's life, get over it.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am

Minxy wrote: I have an...acquaintance that sneaks in every year. Always makes me respect her a little less.
Rather than just respecting her less, just turn her in. No pay, no play.

Then you can respect yourself a little more.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Token wrote:Nope. They do issue wrist bands early on and gate/perimeter staff do check regularly on Playa.
Nobody ever checked my wristband unless I was going through the gate, but I wasn't going to mention that part anyway.

Lord Of Ruin
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
JezebelinHell wrote:You want to get in free (or really cheap)?

Move to Gerlach

Become a Ranger and stay one for a couple years

Join the DPW

Go to medical school. Become a registered nurse or a doctor and work the Med Tent.

Go to the police academy. Become a cop and pray they assign you to Burning Man.

I'm sure there are more ways. That's all that comes to mind right now though.
Buy and drive a water truck. Get paid to be a god.

Work for USS (JOTS). Deal with shit all day long and get free beer and the occasional shot delivered by yet another beautiful burner.

Ummm...not that hard. Come out and work 30 or more hours at Gate, with at least 6 of them being during Burn weekend and you'll get a free ticket to the following year and a hearty thank you.

No problem at all.

And you'll get food on each shift.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Post by Rice » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote: Ummm...not that hard. Come out and work 30 or more hours at Gate, with at least 6 of them being during Burn weekend and you'll get a free ticket to the following year and a hearty thank you.

No problem at all.

And you'll get food on each shift.
Dam rights!!! (Its fun too.... ;)

User avatar
portaplaya
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:49 pm
Location: Seattle area

Don't try the following

Post by portaplaya » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 pm

There are fewer and fewer people getting caught each year, even as Gate steps up their technology and processes for finding stow-a-ways and fence crashers.

Here are some things that are guaranteed to fail:

Leaving a car within 25 miles of the event and walking.
First, the BLM will find the car, wait about an hour, and then tow it. The land around the event is closed. Second, Gate has several teams outside the fence and each only has to watch about 1.5 miles of featureless terrain leading to the fence. They will see you.

Hiding in a water vat
Gate bangs on or looks inside everything. They will make you unload the entire truck if it suits their purpose. A water container is just plain dangerous--you run the risk of suffocation, drowning if you also have water in there. Sucks to die if you couldn't even read the back of your ticket.

Hide in a compartment in an RV
Not only will Gate check any space that looks big enough to hide a small person, when someone is caught the entire vehicle is sent back to Reno. They can and will radio to Gerlach with the vehicle description and tell people there not to allow drop-offs/abandonment.

Driving up to and through the trash fence when "no one is looking"
LEO and/or Gate will intercept you. You will get tickets and/or arrested.

While you are at it, don't bring things that leave MOOP, like buckets of glitter (Glitter Camp, I'm looking at you. I have no idea how you make it through Gate each year without confiscation). Live plants become dead moopy plants. Loose feathers are just silly. Gate will send you away or offer to trash it for you.

Gate also likes to confiscate fireworks. ;-)

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Don't try the following

Post by Rice » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:39 pm

portaplaya wrote:There are fewer and fewer people getting caught each year, even as Gate steps up their technology and processes for finding stow-a-ways and fence crashers.

Here are some things that are guaranteed to fail:

Leaving a car within 25 miles of the event and walking.
First, the BLM will find the car, wait about an hour, and then tow it. The land around the event is closed. Second, Gate has several teams outside the fence and each only has to watch about 1.5 miles of featureless terrain leading to the fence. They will see you.

Hiding in a water vat
Gate bangs on or looks inside everything. They will make you unload the entire truck if it suits their purpose. A water container is just plain dangerous--you run the risk of suffocation, drowning if you also have water in there. Sucks to die if you couldn't even read the back of your ticket.

Hide in a compartment in an RV
Not only will Gate check any space that looks big enough to hide a small person, when someone is caught the entire vehicle is sent back to Reno. They can and will radio to Gerlach with the vehicle description and tell people there not to allow drop-offs/abandonment.

Driving up to and through the trash fence when "no one is looking"
LEO and/or Gate will intercept you. You will get tickets and/or arrested.

While you are at it, don't bring things that leave MOOP, like buckets of glitter (Glitter Camp, I'm looking at you. I have no idea how you make it through Gate each year without confiscation). Live plants become dead moopy plants. Loose feathers are just silly. Gate will send you away or offer to trash it for you.

Gate also likes to confiscate fireworks. ;-)
Perimeter also notices when vehicles stop to "turn around" on the highway... They keep a special eye on that area until they know it was really just someone who was lost.

I've heard rumors that LE is going to look for stupid ppls on the road into the city. (Looking for open containers & other things which are illegal in Nevada) They are only going to search vehicles with probable cause. So, don't give them a reason!

Rice

oldxr
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: modesto ca usa

Post by oldxr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 am

people sneak it but its probably harder than crossing the border from mexico.i have been to see the man 3 times.i also have a very eco-unfriendly hobby-off road motorcycle riding.my opinion is that the blm is mismanaged and is fleecing to people to use thier own(public)land.how much does the burningman organization pay the blm for the playa cleaning deposit?another way to look at it is that its almost impossable for 50,000 people to use the playa and camp with out leaving some kind of mark on the land.sifting playa dirt for cigarette butts cant be fun-but there are people that have to do this after the event is over.the ticket money is the cost of protecting the playa from people damage.but i dont like the fact that the blm closes the playa to other uses during burningman.and yes i have camped out at the hot springs to ride my dirt bikes out there.i dont go anymore because my friends cant afford to go

Locked

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”