out of state auto registration

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:00 am

out of state auto registration

Post by internot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 am

I would like to purchase an old vehicle and keep it in storage in Reno. Is it possible for an out-of-state resident to register, license, and insure an automobile in Nevada?

I tried searching eplaya and google, but I couldn't seem to find an answer.

User avatar
Posts: 5325
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD
Location: my computer

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 am

Easy to do. We do it every year with work trucks on work sites.

Go to DMV tell them you wish to register an out of state vehicle but leave the title where it is.

select plate, pay tax and fee out door you walk.

shouldt take more than ten minutes (plus waiting time)

Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 am

Post by mabu » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:01 am

I don't know of any state that will turn down someone wanting to pay them a tax.

User avatar
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:57 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Location: 4:30 & G

Post by LostinReno » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am

California really wants your tax dollars! :lol:

Wow, I didn't know you could do that without being a resident??
Hrmmm, anyhoo, depending on how old this vehicle is and how clean it runs, you might be better off storing it in Fernley or even Gerlach. Fernley is in Storey county and doesn't require smog checks. Even though Gerlach is technically in Washoe County, I believe they are exempt from the smog checks.(don't quote me on this though).

Just some random thoughts.

Post Reply

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”