A driving tip for those traveling from the east.....

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
The Drifter

A driving tip for those traveling from the east.....

Post by The Drifter » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Take the dirt road from Winnemucca instead of going all the way south. Here's a map:

http://shoestringvagabond.activeboard.c ... D=27702196

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Are you referencing the famous Jungo Road, perhaps? The word on that is to bring a couple of spare tires, as it will eat the ones on your ride. And to drive quite slowly, as it is not black top.

People have done it. But sitting in the traffic jam is safer, and may take no less time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:05 am

This has been beaten to death, there are entire threads on Jungo road. i personally take it every year, but I also travel it 20 times a year as well for other reasons.

Go no faster than the speed limit - 60-65 is a good top speed. A spare is advised as it is routinely covered in cruched gravel. Crushed gravel has sharp edges.

Tractor trailers, and fifth wheels with low bellies will probably not make the railroad crossing.

No trailer unless its super short will be able to make the microwave crossing directly onto playa. For ore information check it out yourself on Google Earth - yes my friends Street View does the entire road. from Winny to Empire

later

Bluemandrew

Post by Bluemandrew » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 am

so maybe not the overloaded neon I'll be driving either huh? :shock:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 am

We have friends who drive it every year, experienced folks. They still blew two tires and had the water tank of their trailer pierced by a stray rock one year. Cost them a day of travel time. NOT worth the effort for the unprepared or those in a hurry.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:26 am

I've spent much time there, rockhounding and such.......I've even blown out 10 ply tires........(true, I had a load of rocks)........

between unforeseen potholes, sharp rocks, range cattle and wildlife, I'd say the best advise is "go slow"..........not to mention meeting someone on a blind curve who is taking their half of the road out of the middle.........

good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:10 am

Of course it depends on what your driving - I have never driven it in a passenger car. Always commercial trucks or my ford f550. Tires are significantly better on these rigs than on a passenger car.

The Drifter

Post by The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 am

Last year I took this route in an '84 Econoline Van held together by rusty chicken wire and duct tape and really enjoyed the trip. I've also explored numerous back roads like this in passenger cars not only in Nevada but throughout the world. Not once have I blown a tire on a road like this. One must bear in mind that a different kind of driving is prudent on backroads.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 am

just be REAL careful, it's a jungo out there.
Frida Be You & Me

The Drifter

Post by The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:17 am

AntiM wrote:We have friends who drive it every year, experienced folks. They still blew two tires and had the water tank of their trailer pierced by a stray rock one year. Cost them a day of travel time. NOT worth the effort for the unprepared or those in a hurry.
They were driving WAY too fast if this happened. If you can't see and evade the rocks on the road you're going too fast. I've seen people fishtail into a roll because they treat backroads like highways.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:24 pm

No, they're cautious types. Geeez, give it a rest.

The Drifter

Post by The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Give what a rest? I only responded to you once. If I appeared rude please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.

At any rate it is my opinion based on considerable backcountry experience that this route is far superior to heading south. The advantages are as follows:

#1. No traffic.
#2. Plenty of interesting camping spots including a ghost town.
#3. You save about 100 miles of driving.

As has been noted this is a VERY remote part of the country so if you get stuck it's possible you will be there for a while. I would also suggest a topographical map in case you make a wrong turn.

The Drifter

Post by The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Go no faster than the speed limit - 60-65 is a good top speed.
In my opinion that is too fast for most passenger vehicles on that kind of road.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm

The Drifter wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:Go no faster than the speed limit - 60-65 is a good top speed.
In my opinion that is too fast for most passenger vehicles on that kind of road.
Have you been on Jungo? I have too many times to count. To be honest I can cruise on it at 80+ but I do it for a living as well.

Drive in a prudent manner and youll be ok. Jungo is not the typical backcountry Nevada farmer road. It is a well traveled commercial road used by 400 ton dump trucks and service rigs to the mines. The road is not paved as the trucks simply crush the asphalt into brownie fudge. Its wider than most roads, well gravelled, and maintained. Its just long.

Ill be crossing it tomorrow to go to the playa for a clients needs. You can check em out at www.landspeed.com 530MPH this week on playa - 800 4th of july 2010

The Drifter

Post by The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Nice link man, that looks like fun!

I have been on Jungo and indeed it is not your typical dirt road. The main reason I would drive at slower speeds in a passenger car has more to do with the thin tires being susceptible to failure due to hitting potholes and rocks at high speeds. I also prefer to just enjoy the journey rather that rushing everywhere I go. It's a good road on which to just chill out on Sunday and figure on sleeping in the truck until the gates open.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 am

ImageImage[/img]

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

The road from Winnemucca to Sulphur is well maintained smooth and can be taken at speed. From Sulphur to 447 it is nor as well maintained and does not have the sight lines allowing for speed. A previous post says there is no traffic, wrong, there is little traffic but enough to be a danger. You can access the playa past Sulphur and get away from the rocks and traffic just be sure to follow the main track on the playa and do not try a shortcut to Black Rock City, Perimeter or BLM will turn you around. Do not try to cross the railroad tracks anyplace other than at a crossing, if you get stuck on the tracks Union Pacific will remove your vehicle, with a locomotive, at 80mph.

The Jungo road is an alternative to 80 and 447. If your vehicle and tires are capable. If you keep your head out of your ass.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”