Alcohol, RVs, Driving, and You

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
oldsoul

Alcohol, RVs, Driving, and You

Post by oldsoul » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 pm

A question concerning Nevada law:

Are passengers in the back of a RV allowed to drink alcohol? I have heard this is ok provided said RV is equipped with a toilet, though I have suspicions that if this is true, it may not be true from state to state.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Here is an old thread that lists the relevant NDOT stuff

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=11519

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 am

Ok, something eles to think about here... When you pull off the road on to the rock road. You the driver still can't drink.. NO NO NO... I work Greeters the last 3 years on opening night.. The LEOs sit in the dark with night vision and see whose drinking and driving.. Yea some of you get stuck in the staging area for a long time.. NO NO No drinking while driving...The LEOs will wait until you get past Greeters and then pull you over.. NO NO NO..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am

I can verify that ^^^^ We set up camp on J & 5:45 just after the gates opened so we had a clear view of car after car get pulled over just past the greeters. A couple of them where DUI's.
Those pretty blinking lights aren't always a MV, and they do come out of nowhere. Just wait till you get to your spot to start the drankin' smokin' snortin' w/e.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:36 pm

ibDave is correct (again)......

Don't have an open alcohol container of any kind in your car or in the cab of an RV once you pass the greeter's station. Greeters will be gald to collect any empties you may have for recycling.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Alcohol, RVs, Driving, and You

Post by LostinReno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

oldsoul wrote:A question concerning Nevada law:

Are passengers in the back of a RV allowed to drink alcohol? I have heard this is ok provided said RV is equipped with a toilet, though I have suspicions that if this is true, it may not be true from state to state.
Not true, an open container is an open container. You used to be able to be a passenger with an open container but they changed that law in about 1989. (I remember because it was right after I turned 21, Fr's).

oldsoul

Post by oldsoul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Reading through the laws, it appears there is an exception for RVs and limos, provided you are getting your drink on in the living quarters and not the cab.

Having open containers in the cab I knew would be illegal, and our driver will not be impaired. After last year where I had to drive a manual with a murderous clutch all the way through the long gate line, I'd like to relax on the couch with a bottle of cheap champagne this year, and maybe have a beer after my highway driving shift is done.

Has anyone gotten into shit, or known or seen someone get into shit for this, in the living area of an RV specifically?

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 pm

oldsoul wrote:Reading through the laws, it appears there is an exception for RVs and limos, provided you are getting your drink on in the living quarters and not the cab.

Having open containers in the cab I knew would be illegal, and our driver will not be impaired. After last year where I had to drive a manual with a murderous clutch all the way through the long gate line, I'd like to relax on the couch with a bottle of cheap champagne this year, and maybe have a beer after my highway driving shift is done.

Has anyone gotten into shit, or known or seen someone get into shit for this, in the living area of an RV specifically?
One of my coworkers is a former local LEO, he said it's still an open container in a moving vehicle. You won't get a DUI but you can (most likely not, but can) still be ticketed and the driver will be responsible for that ticket. According to him Limo's fall under a different category with business licensing and all that.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:56 pm

The rule is still there and unchanged:

http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec448

Not saying your friend is wrong. Most LEO can figure some way to ticket you if they choose.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am

Isn't it because there's a barrier between the limo driver and the passengers?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 am

nope, it's because that's how the law reads, there isn't always a divider between the driver and the passenger in either RVs or limos.....

here is the revised statute

NRS 484.448 Drinking alcoholic beverage while driving motor vehicle unlawful; open container of alcoholic beverage; additional penalty for violation committed in work zone.

1. It is unlawful for a person to drink an alcoholic beverage while he is driving or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle upon a highway.

2. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, it is unlawful for a person to have an open container of an alcoholic beverage within the passenger area of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is upon a highway. This subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle which is designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation, or to the living quarters of a house coach or house trailer.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Token wrote:The rule is still there and unchanged:

http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec448

Not saying your friend is wrong. Most LEO can figure some way to ticket you if they choose.
Funny, I was just talking to the coworker and he actually said this morning he wasn't positive the more he thought about it (he hasn't been a cop in 10 years), but they are WAAAAY more likely to pull over a motorhome than a limo, especially headed for Burning Man. Also it will depend which agency. From my personal experiences. Reno PD are general dicks. Sparks PD & Washoe County Sheriff's Dept can be pretty cool if your not being outwardly stupid and obvious. Not too familiar with Pershing County.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Some RV's have better stocked bars then your local lounge. Every bottle an open container.

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Simple truth...

Law enforcement agencies near BM (state tribal county etc), can all recognize vehicles headed for BM from a mile off. Regardless of the law and regardless of reality, all BM bound vehicles are a target for LEOs.

Drive conservatively. Drive gently. Stay well within the law. Try not to provide an excuse for them to stop you. This is not the time to wear the day glo wig and leather mask. Save the attention-getting behavior for BM. Do not drink any alcohol. Do not allow passengers to open alcohol thus making the vehicle smell like alcohol...

This is absolutely the wrong time to split hairs about if it's legal for RV passengers to drink. If a LEO sees a party going on in the back, you will get stopped and searched. You will have your day ruined and maybe worse. So you might win a case 6 months later in court (you willing to travel back to argue the point, take time off work? Hire a lawyer?)...

You get the point.

Don't make your self a target.

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Simple truth...

Law enforcement agencies near BM (state tribal county etc), can all recognize vehicles headed for BM from a mile off. Regardless of the law and regardless of reality, all BM bound vehicles are a target for LEOs.

Drive conservatively. Drive gently. Stay well within the law. Try not to provide an excuse for them to stop you. This is not the time to wear the day glo wig and leather mask. Save the attention-getting behavior for BM. Do not drink any alcohol. Do not allow passengers to open alcohol thus making the vehicle smell like alcohol...

This is absolutely the wrong time to split hairs about if it's legal for RV passengers to drink. If a LEO sees a party going on in the back, you will get stopped and searched. You will have your day ruined and maybe worse. So you might win a case 6 months later in court (you willing to travel back to argue the point, take time off work? Hire a lawyer?)...

You get the point.

Don't make your self a target.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm

That's why I have an explosives placard on my RV, by the time they make it to the door, they have no idea what they are gonna do.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Since I'm in a serious mood (generally not the case but bare with me)

Incorrect placards are a violation of the law. This came up on a construction site where I worked years ago. One sub put 'radioactive material' placards on there job boxes thinking it might discourage thieves. It actually ended up getting a few people cited when they went to move to the next project.

They got stopped. The cop called for Hazmat because he did not know what he was dealing with (correct response). The state Hazmat team was not ammused when they learned the truth. Citation and charges for response costs...

Moral: if you are stopped or in an accident, you do not want to have those cute placards on your vehicle...

ok, through being overly serious :)

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 pm

It is a 1.4 explosives placard and having it on there is legal, as ammo falls into this catagory, and there are usually some shells in the cupboard.

I know , I know, I am just asking for it, but it's on the right side of the vehicle, and I don't pass cops on the road with the RV.

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Love it :)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:45 am

Igneouss wrote: but bare with me
I don't feel right doing internet nudity with someone I barely know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:52 am

LOL

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”