Stowaways.... An Adventure We Can Do Without!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Menehune

Stowaways.... An Adventure We Can Do Without!

Post by Menehune » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:56 am

Robbidobbs Wrote:

Yep, that's true. Having been a Gate Supervisor for the last 2 yrs, here's my advice for getting thru Gate as quick and smooth as shit from a goose:
1) Everyone in the vehicle either has their ticket in their hot little hand, or better yet, in the hot little hand of the driver, so I can just count noses, rip and send you on your way.
2) If you have a ticket at Will Call, or still need to purchase one, DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE TALKING TO GATE STAFF!!!!!

Park the car at the BIG parking lot by Box Office, stretch your legs, start drinking water, use the porta-potties, relax, while the folks who need their tix go to Will Call. It's just damn rude IMO if the rest of the party abandons the poor slob who was left at Will Call.

3) No matter how tempted you feel, that ticket in your hand is worth WAY more than the hassle of getting caught as a stowaway.

4) DO NOT pick up a hitch-hiker until you've eyeballed their ticket. LOOK AT IT UNDER THE LIGHT. It's YOUR pain in the ass if it's counterfeited. The whole car gets to come up with the money to front him/her.

Badger Wrote:

Quote:
3) No matter how tempted you feel, that ticket in your hand is worth WAY more than the hassle of getting caught as a stowaway.

Yep. It would really suck to have your tickets taken by the gate folks and then be asked to turn your car around (with all occupants) and go home.

Starting with their trip back to That Place From Whence They Came the folks could then start their year long contemplation on how their selfishness impacts the event and how stowaways are parasites on both on the event as well as the participants who're quite invested in Black Rock City. Hopefully during that time they'll have 'gotten it' so that when they return in 2005 it will be with a renewed appreciation.

Do NOT think that stowaways will be tolerated for ANY reason under ANY circumstances. If you're caught trying it you're fucked. Totally fucked.

PM me to inquire if I/we are bullshitting you on this issue.

Precipitate Wrote:

> The whole car gets to come up with the money to front him/her.

What, I can't boot the lying fuck to the side of the road and go on my
merry way with my non-counterfeit ticket?

I mean, I guess it's one way to go to make the whole car responsible.
Probably pretty effective as well. But is this a change in rules or just
something I never heard before?

Badger Wrote:

No change in the rules.

In fact it's not (nor has it ever been) policy as far as I know.

I do know that there are those who've suggested a change. Whether or not it comes about remains to be seen.

The NO toleration for stowaways is gate policy however. The seriousness by which gate staff takes it is pretty much a matter of record.

And you're right Precip. Having a stricter policy such as the one that's been ruminated on would be pretty effective. It'd probably work most effectively by having it announced pre-event and then have a series of warning signs reiterating the policy and the consequences just before you exit the highway to turn on to the playa. That way preps would have the opportunity to entertain second thoughts, unpack all losers from the back of a Ryder truck/RV and get everyone's ticket/monies together and slide happily on in to the event with no delays and no hassles.

precipitate wrote:

The whole car gets to come up with the money to front him/her. What, I can't boot the lying fuck to the side of the road and go on my merry way with my non-counterfeit ticket? I mean, I guess it's one way to go to make the whole car responsible. Probably pretty effective as well. But is this a change in rules or just something I never heard before?

RobbiDobbs Wrote:

Point one: No. It's not ok to just boot the lying fuck to the side of the road. They then become a Perimeter pain in the ass by trying (repeatedly) to crash the Gate. By dropping them off, you (the driver) are "forcing" them to expend BRC resources. Note: A BLM (federal) trespassing ticket costs $250. You do the math.

Point two: No change in rules. The Gate's job is to search for stowaways. If you're dumb enough to hide the idiot in your van, then it becomes your responsibility to either get him in legally, or drive his dumb ass to Reno.
And Gate/Perimeter knows about the Empire Store parking lot.

Point three: Stowaways don't carry water, food, supplies to last them the event. They are parasites on the Community...and they use MY porta-potties.

RobbiDobbs clear

Badger Wrote:

Also, dumping some clueless fuck within Gerlach or Empire is about as uncool a thing to do as I can think of. The potential for the person becoming a burden or annoyance to the people who live there is very real. (think sleeping in yards, pissing on property, knocking on doors asking for water, etc.) In a town as conservative as Gerlach this is the last thing the citizens want to have to deal with.

III

Post by III » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:59 am

what is the point of reposting an entire thread here?
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Menehune

Post by Menehune » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:37 am

The reason for this thread is information…. important information which got lost in another thread. I believe in sharing information & ideas, which will help the Black Rock Community.
Loves to share.... But does not play well with others....

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:03 pm

The reason for this thread is information…. important information which got lost in another thread. I believe in sharing information & ideas, which will help the Black Rock Community.
I don't know that any information was lost anywhere. Sharing ideas is one thing reposting what's been said in another new thread is just so much pipe clogging. It might have worked better if you'd just let the new topic stand alone rather than start it off with posts that are pasted somewhat out of context.
Desert dogs drink deep.

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:30 pm

> The reason for this thread is information?. important information which
> got lost in another thread.

And I'm not sure I agree smack-dab in the middle of the Newbie forum is
even a good place for this.

And please bear in mind that the salient (and official) points of this
discussion should be covered in the Survival Guide. The eplaya is not an
official source of information. I'm not sure much more than
8. No one will be admitted without a valid ticket from Burning Man. is necessary.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:37 pm

[quote="precipitate]And I'm not sure I agree smack-dab in the middle of the Newbie forum is even a good place for this.
And please bear in mind that the salient (and official) points of this
discussion should be covered in the Survival Guide. The eplaya is not an
official source of information. I'm not sure much more than
8. No one will be admitted without a valid ticket from Burning Man. is necessary.[/quote]

Nice. Thanks Percipitate.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”