Traffic leaving brc?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Icepack

How is traffic going North?

Post by Icepack » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:39 pm

For those who don't go to Reno and back to I-80-- how is traffic going North? I know it's a small road. Does traffic get backed up going out the gate to the right as well? I'm just wondering if rerouting ourselves to a northern route would take us out of the gridlock going to I-80 and make up for the longer miles it would add to our journey.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

headquarters

Post by headquarters » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:32 pm

i take the road to the right, just before you get into gerlach. Thats the way back to alturas/klamath falls/seattle... Left last year at 7:30am on monday morning, no traffic on that road at all. left the year before at like 7pm sunday and there was some traffic but clears up rather quickly once people start getting spread out and on toward cederville. I would imagine that way is quicker.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:33 pm

I don't know about going North, but I know that Jungo to the East is pretty much wide open. But if you don't have the right vehicle, you'll regret going that way. It's not for those with heavily loaded cars, lead feet, and a time crunch on their hands.

III

Post by III » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:35 pm

regardless of which route you take home, everyone needs to leave by the main gate. the surrounding area is patrolled by the blm as a no drive zone (as is usually found out by brc staff that think they're above the law...)
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:47 pm

I'd add that the "main gate" road leads directly to the highway, and not to any particular shortcut.

And that those who might think of recommending any particular shortcut to newbies in the newbie topic area might refrain from doing so, given that they might not have full knowledge of the consequences thereof -- which may include, but certainly is not limited to, people getting lost for no good reason, chased down by rangers or LEOs as they go bumpity-bumpity-BONK over the transient dunes along the fence perimeter, stuck in slick mud or loose sand along the playa rim, high-centered on the Union Pacific RR tracks in the path of 70 mph freight, taking the long walk back to BRC with zero supplies and an infinite expectation of being rescued on-the-cheap, etc.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:47 pm

Also, be aware that the permit which is issued to the event remains in effect well past Sunday. All vehicles exiting the event any other way except the defined exit route are subject to a substantial fine by the BLM. Not to mention the possibility of a vehicle search.

Seriously.

Icepack

exiting and going north?

Post by Icepack » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:16 am

Bob wrote:I'd add that the "main gate" road leads directly to the highway, and not to any particular shortcut.

And that those who might think of recommending any particular shortcut to newbies in the newbie topic area might refrain from doing so, given that they might not have full knowledge of the consequences thereof -- which may include, but certainly is not limited to, people getting lost for no good reason, chased down by rangers or LEOs as they go bumpity-bumpity-BONK over the transient dunes along the fence perimeter, stuck in slick mud or loose sand along the playa rim, high-centered on the Union Pacific RR tracks in the path of 70 mph freight, taking the long walk back to BRC with zero supplies and an infinite expectation of being rescued on-the-cheap, etc.
Right, but after you exit through the main gate and hit the road you can go left toward Empire etc, or right toward ??? north I guess. I suppose that the folks coming from Oregon and Washington state might come from that direction. I think if you go north far enough you eventually hit an Interstate that goes East-West. Maybe Route I-90?
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: exiting and going north?

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 am

Icepack wrote:
Right, but after you exit through the main gate and hit the road you can go left toward Empire etc, or right toward ??? north I guess. I suppose that the folks coming from Oregon and Washington state might come from that direction. I think if you go north far enough you eventually hit an Interstate that goes East-West. Maybe Route I-90?
As I read the map (ie, I've never driven it) it's a lonely trip through Reederville (?) NV to the California border crossing into Lassen County, then Modoc. The nearest big town seems to be Alturas. This is mountains and lightly populated at any rate. My map situation is poor, so I can't tell you when you hit an interstate. But I-90 is south (through Reno), so I think you'll be looking for I-5, in the central valley or up north of redding in the cascades.

III

Post by III » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:24 am

>> I think if you go north far enough

this is the wild west, kinda. not all roads go somewhere. (if you take a right on the 34 as soon as you get out of the festival, the pavement ends in about 20 miles. i *think* (and i may be wrong) that to get to oregonish direction, you want to back track almost to gerlach and take the 447 northwestish.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Backtracking to Oregon

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:33 am

III wrote:>> i *think* (and i may be wrong) that to get to oregonish direction, you want to back track almost to gerlach and take the 447 northwestish.
That's correct.
Lovely pass, lovely scenery.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:37 am

Whoops! Forgot/didn't realize that BRC isn't on 447. You can disregard my map reading above. (Ah, the wages of being driven. . .)

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:00 pm

To understand the issue, you have to understand the history of the event. It was formerly held on the open playa, without a clearly-defined entry route or perimeter. More experienced attendees, most notably BR Rangers, as well as the BLM, would have to deal with people got lost and stuck all over the playa, but there were fewer people overall and on the whole probably more savvy wrt getting to and from the event. Flashing forward to '97 and later, when Burning Man began planning the event in closer cooperation with the BLM and local agencies through the permit application & approval process, a wide range of typical concerns are subject to review by all concerned. "Traffic" is one of them, and in the big-picture context of Burning Man has some unique side-issues -- limiting the impact of trash purposely or accidently ejected from vehicles leaving the event, impact on the rest of the Black Rock Desert, the burden on agencies responsible for emergency response, etc.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:01 pm

III wrote:>> I think if you go north far enough

this is the wild west, kinda. not all roads go somewhere. (if you take a right on the 34 as soon as you get out of the festival, the pavement ends in about 20 miles. i *think* (and i may be wrong) that to get to oregonish direction, you want to back track almost to gerlach and take the 447 northwestish.
The road immediately west of the playa becomes a gravel road as III states... not quite the road to nowhere, but if you don't know someone living there, you have not much business being there... watch out for the garlic trucks.... I drove it in '99 for an hour looking for some hot springs with Larry the plumber...

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:55 pm

The road over to Alturas turn off is pretty slow and long pulls if your loaded down. On the way are a few small towns. The kids offer car washes. The food is ok and there is gas in Cederville. The VW can run from Clear Lake Or. to BM and back on a tank of gas. Once past the Alturas turn off the roads and grades are good and easy to pull. Same going south. Nice country to take in while traveling. Beware..From BM to Cederville at night. The cows find the warm pavement a nice place to sleep.

I met the biggest cow I had ever seem. My pardoner was in the lead. He was going down hill and rounding a corner. His tail lights come bright. Then he changed lanes quick. I jumped on the brakes. In the middle of my lane stood a cow. Her ass was as tall as the middle off the VWs windsheild. Lucky we were traveling between 25-35 mpr.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:24 pm

We plan on leaving either Monday night or Tuesday morning but likely Tuesday based on what I've read here so far.

Barracuda
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”