Bicycle advice (I'm a newbie!)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
eiswoman

Bicycle advice (I'm a newbie!)

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 am

Hello soon to be fellow burners!

I'm a newb, and I'm struggling with the bike situation. I found a pretty rad one (link to pic below), but I've come to find out that the tires may be too thin. I realize that the playa conditions are unpredictable, therefore thicker tires are probably more prudent in the event of shitty conditions, but I'm wondering if realistically, in all your years of playa experience and wisdom, do you think I'd be ok with this one? I'm getting conflicting advice from people - some say I'll be just fine, others say they'd never take this bike out there.

The tires are thicker than 10-speed tires, but not near as thick as cruiser/mtb tires.

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =fbx_album

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am

LInk is to facebook which requires an account and looging in.

eiswoman

Pic

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 am

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 am

that is a sweet schwinn, don't know enough about tires/bikes to advise you, but that is a sweet bike 8)

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 am

phil wrote:LInk is to facebook which requires an account and looging in.
You mean you aren't on Facebook, Phil??????

You'll be fine, Tara.

eiswoman

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Hehe, I was going to say...wait a sec, there are people who don't have Facebook accounts? Thought it might be too early in my ePlaya career to throw down the sarcasm, but since you started it...

;) ;)

And thank you for the response!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am

eiswoman wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:
Hehe, I was going to say...wait a sec, there are people who don't have Facebook accounts? Thought it might be too early in my ePlaya career to throw down the sarcasm, but since you started it...

;) ;)

And thank you for the response!
Some of us are never going to walk into that charnal house that is Facebook and offer ourselves up to the butchers that will harvest our identities.
Personal choice, and all.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

eiswoman

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="eiswoman"][quote="Ugly Dougly"][quote="phil"]LInk is to facebook which requires an account and looging in.[/quote]

You mean you aren't on Facebook, Phil??????[/quote]

;) ;)

And thank you for the response![/quote]
Some of us are never going to walk into that charnal house that is Facebook and offer ourselves up to the butchers that will harvest our identities.
Personal choice, and all.[/quote]

Totally understand :)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 am

eiswoman- go to your profile and enable "bbs". That will get your quotes & stuff showing up right!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:36 am

That bike will roll just fine out there. I'd suggest a cable lock, though... especially for an old Schwinn.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 am

*Delete Double Post*
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

turtlebird

Post by turtlebird » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm

My exgirlfriend used that same bike on the playa a few years ago and she was fine for the most part. If you're nervous about the tire size you could take the fenders off and try and fit some fatter tires on it (if it has a coaster brake on the rear wheel id get rid of the front brake as well).

turtlebird

Post by turtlebird » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:33 pm

My exgirlfriend used that same bike on the playa a few years ago and she was fine for the most part. If you're nervous about the tire size you could take the fenders off and try and fit some fatter tires on it (if it has a coaster brake on the rear wheel id get rid of the front brake as well).

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Bicycle advice (I'm a newbie!)

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:40 pm

eiswoman wrote:Hello soon to be fellow burners!

I'm a newb, and I'm struggling with the bike situation. I found a pretty rad one (link to pic below), but I've come to find out that the tires may be too thin. I realize that the playa conditions are unpredictable, therefore thicker tires are probably more prudent in the event of shitty conditions, but I'm wondering if realistically, in all your years of playa experience and wisdom, do you think I'd be ok with this one? I'm getting conflicting advice from people - some say I'll be just fine, others say they'd never take this bike out there.

The tires are thicker than 10-speed tires, but not near as thick as cruiser/mtb tires.

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =fbx_album
Just FYI, if you would like to post or share FB pictures without posting a FB link, just right click the photo and choose "copy image location". Then just press cntrl + v to paste it wherever you want. That gives a direct link to the .jpg on the FB server, instead of a link to your page. You can also shapre picture links with someone else through IM or email, or even show people pictures that you can see that others can't see. There are no "permissions" on the image links, unlike facebook page links.

Like this:

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Psycho
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Psycho » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:40 pm

What about a mountain bike, multi-speed thing with suspension and such... Is that overkill, or are they decent for the playa too? Not planning any racing or anything, but I was thinking that I might like the suspension while riding, and a little more speed options than a normal cruiser might come in handy...

jpstiffin

less is more

Post by jpstiffin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Go for sturdy, simple and reliable - forget about rad - leave the ego at the gate.

journey

Re: less is more

Post by journey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 pm

jpstiffin wrote:Go for sturdy, simple and reliable - forget about rad - leave the ego at the gate.
I agree about the sturdy, simple and reliable..but you should never forget the rad. Something can be rad without the ego--and that bike has rad all over it.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.

eiswoman

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Sweet, thanks everyone!

eiswoman

Re: less is more

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 pm

journey wrote:
jpstiffin wrote:Go for sturdy, simple and reliable - forget about rad - leave the ego at the gate.
I agree about the sturdy, simple and reliable..but you should never forget the rad. Something can be rad without the ego--and that bike has rad all over it.
Thank you, my sentiments exactly. Burning Man is about self expression after all, right?

eiswoman

Post by eiswoman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Psycho wrote:What about a mountain bike, multi-speed thing with suspension and such... Is that overkill, or are they decent for the playa too? Not planning any racing or anything, but I was thinking that I might like the suspension while riding, and a little more speed options than a normal cruiser might come in handy...
No idea if this is true, but I've been specifically advised against bringing a bike with exposed gears due to the alkaline dust (apparently it f*cks shit up).

Nitevenus

Post by Nitevenus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 pm

All I can say is, and from experience, is if you're not used to riding a bike, make sure you pad that seat. Otherwise you will not be looking forward to sitting on it at all toward the end of the week.

Psycho
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Psycho » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm

eiswoman wrote:
Psycho wrote:What about a mountain bike, multi-speed thing with suspension and such... Is that overkill, or are they decent for the playa too? Not planning any racing or anything, but I was thinking that I might like the suspension while riding, and a little more speed options than a normal cruiser might come in handy...
No idea if this is true, but I've been specifically advised against bringing a bike with exposed gears due to the alkaline dust (apparently it f*cks shit up).
Don't all bikes have exposed gears? Or do you mean the shifting gears? I only care about the survival of the bike for 8 days, if it will last that long, I'm good... Even if the shifting stuff does get hosed, if it gets stuck in a usable gear, I can live with that. The bike I'm looking at is going to cost $80, so I'm not that worried about it, as long as it will remain usable for the week...

I'm told that any bike one the playa is going to suffer. 8)

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 pm

:D
If this is a vintage bike, you may want to consider the condition of the tires. Look for cracking in the side-walls. In my experience with Playa bicycle repair, old tire sidewalls rupture alarmingly often.

If you get them replaced, ask the shop to install the widest that will fit (with street/cruiser tread, not knobbies).

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Thats what I just got- 18 speeds, lots of suspension.....$50. Whoohoo!

I'm sure the multi-speeds are pretty useless, I'm going to figure out the comfortable gear the first day & stick with it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

journey

Post by journey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Elliot wrote::D
If this is a vintage bike, you may want to consider the condition of the tires. Look for cracking in the side-walls. In my experience with Playa bicycle repair, old tire sidewalls rupture alarmingly often.

If you get them replaced, ask the shop to install the widest that will fit (with street/cruiser tread, not knobbies).
I prefer the knobbies, personally. Here is my 57 schwinn...

When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.

Clar-i-ty
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:34 pm

As long as the tires are at least 1.75" you'll be fine. For this model that's the standard. My guess is those are 26" x 1.75" tires.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

eiswoman

Post by eiswoman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:59 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:As long as the tires are at least 1.75" you'll be fine. For this model that's the standard. My guess is those are 26" x 1.75" tires.
Dang. They're 1.375. :( I've asked three bike shops (one specializing in Schwinns) if I can get thicker tires on there, and apparently it's not possible. Ah well...

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Clar-i-ty
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Honestly I think you'll be fine. My second year I rode a standard Schwinn Breeze out there no problem. Even with my Hollywood Cruiser last year it was pointless to ride by Saturday anyway. You'll be fine.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Make sure it has a kickstand...you'll be glad. Laying it down and picking it up 500 times becomes a drag. You can get one at your local bike store and attach it yourself if you don't have one.

Get an old tennis ball to put on the end to keep the stand from punching thru the playa.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:15 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Get an old tennis ball to put on the end to keep the stand from punching thru the playa.
*doh*

I was getting ready to forge myself a plate for my kickstand- never thought about the easy route.

You've just taken a bunch of work off my plate!

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”