how to protect my car? <--- Nooooob!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
NiciChickie

how to protect my car? <--- Nooooob!

Post by NiciChickie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi guys, this is my first year ever attending a burn, and at the last minute, my ride bailed on me and I'm now taking my car, however, I drive an expensive 2006 Acura RSX that I am in no way prepared to have damaged. Friends of mine who have been to burns before seriously suggest not taking my car at all, but I tried doing some research and I'm getting so many conflicting statements. I don't feel like its feasible to just pick up a ride (I've planned this whole thing with another friend of mine, and it'd be the two of us, our bikes, and all our gear) and I definitely don't have a different car to take out there. Any advice I could get would be great. I had originally planned on wrapping it in tarps once we got there, but then I saw something about how that might increase my chances of damaging my paint. In any case, PLS HALP, I am so worried and unsure about how to make this all work, I swear I'm gonna die of a heart attack before we even get to the day we leave for this burn. Also, any other advice you might have for a noob burner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nici

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

what color is the interior?
don't forget to floss

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Tarps will wear a hole in your paint. (I can show you the one on my truck :) It's going to get dirty out there inside and out, and underneath, no matter what you do. If that bothers you, don't bring it out there.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:34 pm

The car will get dirty and any exposed metal will rust if you do not clean it well once you get home.

Anything to cover the car will rub it raw with the dust acting as an abrasive which will scrub your paint right off.

The car will be fine, just dirty. Relax. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 pm

You are DOOMED!

The paint will peel and flake off, the interior will be thoroughly fucked. All metal surfaces will rust, all your wires and cables under your fancy Acura fuckdx will rust and rot.

Stay home and watch the webcast.

dinks

Post by dinks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

The car will be fine. But you will still be getting playa out of it a year from now. My 4runner from 2007 still has playa dust in its vents.

If you take your car, put a nice coat of wax on it before heading out. It will help a lot with cleanup. Otherwise, go rent a car in Reno/Sparks/Carson.

viajera80

Post by viajera80 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Last year for my third burn, I took my new Sportage. Yes, it got dusty on the outside, but stayed pretty clean on the inside. Keep everything closed up, don't run your air conditioner and put on clean clothes before leaving BRC.

If there is dust on it when you get home, just be proud and show it off. People will be jealous. :twisted:

NiciChickie

Post by NiciChickie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:43 pm

The inside is a taupe/tan leather. And Token, thanks for really carrying on the burning man spirit and helping people out instead of trying to scare them. You're such a nice guy. -.-

I don't mind my car being dirty, I'm just concerned about permanent damage, if there will be any. Since everyone is recommending not to cover it at all, how will it do under the sun for seven days???

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 pm

awww. take the car. I'm taking my brand new Tacoma & i'm not worried even a little. Keep it closed up for the entire event. You can use window shades for the sun & cover your interior with bed sheets, if you like. Close your a/c vents ( use the circulation ). the problem is going to come in when you pack all your dusty camp stuff back into the car.
Be sure to get a new air filter asap after the event & I always get an oil change. Take it thru the drive thru car wash 76 times. be sure to get the underside washed. etc. etc.

Can you borrow the car of the friend who bailed on you?
don't forget to floss

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Whatever Burning man spirit or misconception of said you may have, I've been out there ten years and your car will get fucked. It will NEVER be the same as it was before the playa.

Thats a fact!

Most people just accept and live with it but if you are really worried about your ride remaing pristine, get a rental.

Or not, fuck if I care. Not my slick ride.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:57 pm

I'd be more concerned about how your going to cram all your stuff in that sedan.

....and cars are built to be outside..in the sun....a week of sunlight is not going to give your car a sunburn..

(my money says, sparkle pony)
What other people think about you is none of your business.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Personally, I'm worried about the almost had a heart attack thing. If he ends up spending the second half of the week and then some in Washoe Med ICU, then I don't think that the car will get the sort of babying that he wants it to have when the DPW clear it off the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Everyone forgets that at the end of the show, dusty ass, dusty tents, bags of garbage etc. all end up on the fine Italian leather.

Think a bit about the afterbirth.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm

It's the same sun at Burning Man as it is at home. Unless you have covered parking at both home and work, a little more sun is not going to make much difference.

As for dust, keep your car doors closed through the WHOLE event. Don't store anything in the car that you will have to take out. This will help, but not completely solve, the likelihood of some dust getting in your car.

You can open up your hood when you get home and use a power washer on the engine area. Do not leave any wet dust behind, since that is corrosive, but perhaps it's time to clean your engine off anyway.

(In fact, if it's super grimy, the dust won't get to anything it can corrode anyway.)

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Token wrote:You are DOOMED!

The paint will peel and flake off, the interior will be thoroughly fucked. All metal surfaces will rust, all your wires and cables under your fancy Acura fuckdx will rust and rot.

Stay home and watch the webcast.
Insulting his car, telling him to stay home and overstating the risk of damage to his car. These are not helpful comments.

I certainly would not equate dust in his car and a possibility of corrosion (if the car is not cleaned afterward) with the status of "Fucked".

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:20 pm

What if you waxed the fuck out of it? Or paint it with some sort of liquid latex that would peel off later?

Seriously NiciChickie, consider renting. :D

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:21 pm

as soon as you park it, cover all your air intakes! Try not to drive in or out in the afternoon (prime dust storm time) but you can't entirely avoid driving in the dust. Don't open your car all week. You'll be fine. :D

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 pm

PortaPlaya, you gotta be kidding me.

Aside from my crass mannerisms, is there anything I said in my posts that is not plausible?

Take a look at the event placement for this year. It is an hour drive from the tarmac to the city proper. Add everything else into the equation I mentioned and tell me how in this world is her precious ride not going to be Fucked on the ride back on 447.

You my friend are deluded. But carry on with the gospel.

Edited for gender.

NiciChickie

Post by NiciChickie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, for one, my trunk isn't nice italian leather, it's carpeted, like most trunks, and actually, the carpet is velcroed in and can peel out and be washed... and it probably doesn't matter but I am a girl, not a guy.

Can you even rent a car under the age of 25? I'll be 23 for the event, so I dunno if that's old enough? Not to mention strapped for funds anwyay. I guess I'll have to look into it. So the consensus, except for the one angry mean guy, is don't cover it, cover the insides, keep it sealed, and I'll be fine? (btw, thanks for the helpful answers guys, I really appreciate it!)

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:39 pm

whos the angry mean guy??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
don't forget to floss

NiciChickie

Post by NiciChickie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Haha, I wonder.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 pm

What are you doing Thursday night?

Wanna hang out, dinner and a movie?

:)

Looks like you just need to prep and accept. That your car will be special mid September.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: how to protect my car? <--- Nooooob!

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 pm

NiciChickie wrote:I drive an expensive 2006 Acura RSX that I am in no way prepared to have damaged.
You know that "angry mean guy" you were mentioning? I think he's the only one who read this part of your post.

If you are serious about not wanting any damage to your car, don't bring it. Period. If you can put up with the fact that no matter how well you protect it it's still going to end up filthy at best, you'll be fine.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

NiciChickie

Post by NiciChickie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Well, that settles that, I guess.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: how to protect my car? <--- Nooooob!

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Eric wrote:
NiciChickie wrote:I drive an expensive 2006 Acura RSX that I am in no way prepared to have damaged.
You know that "angry mean guy" you were mentioning? I think he's the only one who read this part of your post.

If you are serious about not wanting any damage to your car, don't bring it. Period. If you can put up with the fact that no matter how well you protect it it's still going to end up filthy at best, you'll be fine.
True, just wait till your neighbor's EZ-up comes flying at it in a 60mph gust. Or the drunk guy crashes into it on their bike, or 10,000 other things... :)

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Oh, the humanity!

I just looked up the expensive 2006 Acura RSX!

At first I confused it for the NSX all in my simple mind.

Sweetheart, you car was a downpayment on my truck!

Someone mentioned the smell of ...

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I'd be more concerned about how your going to cram all your stuff in that sedan.
It can be done. One year, I was planning on taking my father's pickup to the burn. It broke down just two days before I was supposed to leave, and there wasn't enough time to get it fixed. I ended up taking my 2-door Honda Civic sedan. I took the passenger seat out completely, which actually opens up quite a bit of extra cargo space. I folded down the back seats which open through to the trunk, and I was able to fit the "long" items in that way. Added a trunk mounted bike rack and I was able to carry a surprising amount of stuff. If I had added a roof rack as well, I really could have been living large.

PottyMouth

Post by PottyMouth » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:02 pm

If you are concerned about it being in the sun for a week, I am positive you will not be happy with the amount of dust your car will accumulate. It will be in your vents, in your mirrors, in the interior, and you will be sad.

I love the playa smell whenever I turn on my air conditioner, but that's me.

You should definitely not bring it. You will be concerned about your car and it will take away from your experience on the playa. Rent a car or get a ride.

Playa Foot

Post by Playa Foot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I never take my car to the desert. When I am ready to go I steal a SUV spend a week on the playa then abandon it. The guy is usually happy to get his SUV back and my car stays clean. It is a win-win situation.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:21 am

I drove my Honda civic to BM once in 2001 - every time the air is turned on, playa dust still comes out. 9 years later. No car that goes to Bm is ever the same.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”