how to protect my car? <--- Nooooob!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 am

My truck stays outside, we have no garage.

If you don't want damage, don't drive your car....anywhere!

My truck is a 2008 and I have a few places where shit from the road has dinged the paint.

If you have a car, it will get damaged as the years go by.

Chill.

And my truck also cost more than your car.......and I wouldn't think of driving anything else but my truck to burning man. Can't wait!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

jpstiffin

You can't even protect yourself, much less the car.

Post by jpstiffin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 am

Don't take the car. Your car is a work of art on wheels. After the burn, it will only be fit to be a mutant vehicle.

dubz
Burning Since: 2007

Post by dubz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I took my van in 2007. As soon as I got there, at the Greeter's Station, a drunk Greeter walked up the hood of my car and onto the roof. In the process put a large dent in the hood, cracked the windshield, and a large dent in the roof. Many hundreds of dollars in damage in the first few minutes on playa.

A couple of days later, a guy misjudged his trailer size, accordioned my license plate, and gouged the shit outta my bumper.

Add in all the usual playa dust everywhere, I can properly say my car got fucked at Burning Man. Doesn't mean it will happen to you, but the risk is definitely there.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm

dubz wrote:I took my van in 2007. As soon as I got there, at the Greeter's Station, a drunk Greeter walked up the hood of my car and onto the roof. In the process put a large dent in the hood, cracked the windshield, and a large dent in the roof. Many hundreds of dollars in damage in the first few minutes on playa.

A couple of days later, a guy misjudged his trailer size, accordioned my license plate, and gouged the shit outta my bumper.

Add in all the usual playa dust everywhere, I can properly say my car got fucked at Burning Man. Doesn't mean it will happen to you, but the risk is definitely there.
And the greeter paid for the damages, right? Surely you didn't just let them just walk away from that?

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

dubz

Post by dubz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

He was completely smash-a-rooed, and when I got out of the car in a rage, he literally took of running, cause he saw he was going to get hurt.

Could probably have dealt with it better, but that shit pissed me off....

TurtleWexler
Burning Since: 2017

Post by TurtleWexler » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Your car will be fine. Yes, there may be dust. It's just stuff.

My car was 2 weeks old when I took it to the playa... the indelible dust marks on the seats still make me smile.

Don't let the idea of dust on your car deter you from going. Go!

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm

dubz wrote:He was completely smash-a-rooed, and when I got out of the car in a rage, he literally took of running, cause he saw he was going to get hurt.

Could probably have dealt with it better, but that shit pissed me off....
Yeah, there would have been some "issues" if that happened to me. The Smashy part of me would most likely have reared his ugly head.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 am

Bring a car port. That's what they're for. Parking your car inside.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

One of the things I love about getting a new vehicle is having it playafied. It will remind you of the good times every time you crawl into it. And yes, the vents will blow dust, and spread that playalicious scent through your car - putting a smile on your face 8 months later!

There have been some downsides - a putz (and AFAIK former campmate) decided it would be cool to draw on the hood of my truck in the dust. It took a lot of work to get that scratch mostly out. The wind will not cause the dust to scratch your car, but a yahoo will.

A greeter does some sh** like Dubz van, one, the greeter would not be able to run fast enough to get away from me, *and* I'd find out from the greeters station supe who that was. That is nasty and malicious shit, and I'm more than happy to take him to task.

When you get home, wash the car with a mild soap and water solution with vinegar added, and as little light rubbing as possible with buku fresh water flowing where you're working. Same with the interior hard surfaces. Be prepared to spend time with a vacuum cleaner on your leather, as well as saddle soap/conditioner after (and the water for the saddle soap should also be lightly vinegarized - or if the smell will gak you, lemon juice works too).

Someone said thru the carwash 72 times - ESPECIALLY the underside wash. You'll want to hit under the hood (carefully) or have it detailed. I've done it - it's a long process, but worthwile.

Covers? I'd put sheets over ALL the seats and carpets and trunk prior to arrival on playa, and not take them off until you get home and unloaded. If you want to block the windows, do so from the Inside with a good insulating blocker (Home Despot has rolls of the stuff, 16" x 25', for under $16) and use BLUE PAINTERS MASKING TAPE (leaves no trace!) to hold it in place.

DO NOT open your car once it's all unpacked until you go to pack it up and leave playa. Shake and beat everything before you put it in the car, but remember - your gear will be playafied, YOU will be playafied, so don't expect miracles, OK?

By the way - IF it rains out there, and it could happen, DO NOT drive out until he ground has firmed enough. Likely this will be enforced by Exodus anyway, but you can sink up to your axles in gooey soggy playa, which WILL be a PITA to remove.

While you don't want your car to be damaged, it still might happen... it sux, but take it as part of the growing pains of your car. It also chills you out to the "what if" syndrome on your car... and makes it part of your family!

See ya on playa,
bb

NiciChickie

Post by NiciChickie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks Sue, all of that was really helpful information. I'm going, and doing basically everything you said, so all will be well, and if not, well, then not. But it matters not. =) Eleven days!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:19 pm

NiciChickie wrote:so all will be well, and if not, well, then not.
And now you're ready for the playa!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

LindseyRaeFace

Post by LindseyRaeFace » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

We took my BFs brand new car last year. Less than a week old... We then used it as a wind block to keep our tent from getting compeltley destroyed. It will be dirty as fuck, but as long as no one does a hood slide in steel wool you should be good. Just make sure you get it detailed when you get home, including an undercarriage rinse. Waxing it ahead of time is a good idea so it doesnt get sctratched. DONT COVER IT. They're right, it will scratch the shit out of it. If you are concerned about the insides, take everything out and dont open the doors again till you leave.

Good luck, breathe, relax. Everything will work out perfectly... If you dont give yourself a heart attack first.

Or just rent a car. =)

benthegrate

Post by benthegrate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:32 am

So you've been getting answers mostly from very experienced playa folks. In 2008 I was a noob and I didn't go in 2009. (I am going this year.) Let me be VERY clear...I don't give two shits about the status or appearance of my car, as long as it gets me from place to place.

But if you are very concerned about the condition of your car, your "mean guy" has given you the most realistic advice.

YOUR CAR WILL NEVER BE THE SAME after the playa. If you are a particularly anal person about your car, you will be frustrated and furious EVERY time you get into your car for the rest of its life after Burning Man. You will NEVER be able to get the white playa stains out of the carpet both inside the car, the seats, and in the trunk. And EVERY time you turn on the air conditioner or heater, puffs of playa dust will come out. Nothing you can do will keep this from happening. You can lessen the amount of dust by following the advice given by several others...but your car will have playa whipped into it from dust storms daily, and your gear will be snowy white when you pack it up to leave, and it will leave that playa snow everywhere in your car it touches.

For most of us, our playa-fied cars make us smile and remember Burning Man. But if you're in no way prepared to have the car damaged, you are the type of person who will end up convincing yourself that the car is destroyed because of the dust.

The dust is an inevitability. It WILL happen.

Other potential, more serious damage has been mentioned...someone tripping on mushrooms and crashes their bike into your car. A wind storm blows someone's dome down the road and it crashes into your car.

And entrance and exodus? In 2008 I witnessed no fewer than 4 COMPLETELY crushed cars, totally destroyed, one in flames, on the road back to Fernley, as well as multiple fender benders. I have never felt more vulnerable on the road than driving to and from Burning Man. Stoned and tripping burners driving ancient RVs at 80 miles per hour down a tiny road, passing you at unbelievable speeds with cars headed toward them in the opposite lane... It's truly terrifyingly dangerous, and you have to have EVERY brain cell in your body in defensive driving mode.

My partner is very particular about his cars, so I understand your frame of mind, and you HAVE to trust me. RENTING A CAR IS YOUR BEST OPTION. That way you don't have a creeping worry in the back of your head the entire Burn.

You can rent a car if you're under 25...there's just an additional daily fee with most companies. (Though Hertz announced some promotion that they're renting fee-free to 21-25yr olds this summer.) Check websites, and call around. Also, Rent-A-Wreck has a Reno location, though they may all be sold out. They rent out older cars and are more flexible with underage renters and renters with no credit card.

If you do decide to take your car to the playa, pre-purchase an air filter, and a cabin air filter before you leave. As soon as you get off the playa and find a safe place to pull over where you won't delay the exodus, pull over and replace your air filter and cabin filter. (You'll be AMAZED at the dust that will come out of them.) This will help, but it will not cure. And if you do decide to take your car to the playa, keep that "what happens, happens" mindset. Because your car WILL NEVER be the same.

Have an INCREDIBLE Burn! It will be the most inspiring, moving, incredible experience of your life.

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:49 pm

^^That doesn't sound any worse than driving through Atlanta traffic in rush hour. 8)
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 pm

In '08 I printed out a huge map of the city on standard copy paper. I used plain old scotch tape to tape all the sheets together. It was so big that it covered one whole side of my mini van top to bottom and almost end to end. Once out on the playa, I used clear shipping tape to stick that mofo to the side of the van, and put a bunch of markers in a cup and taped that to the van as well, so people could leave messages, addy's etc. Which some poeple did do. It stayed on there all week long with zero damage to the paint.
Last year I used a 34" piece of coated blank newsprint that I wrapped the van with for people to write on, again it stayed on all week with clear shipping tape and no damage.
This did nothing to keep the dust out, (wasn't the point of doing it anyway) but nothing happened to the van as far as damage from wrapping it with stuff.
and of course YMMV!
What other people think about you is none of your business.

owstopit

Really, it's up to you...

Post by owstopit » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am

I had to make a similar decision last year for my first burn. Bring my new Scion XD (not as nice, I know) to the burn, or try to keep it pristine? I chose to take it. I was opening my car and getting stuff out throughout the burn. The interior got pretty dusty, but it worked fine when I left and I was able to clean around 90% of the dust out. The only dust that remains is stuck in the tiny grooves of my dashboard. I got the air filter replaced, got it washed, and all is fine now.

However, I don't doubt that the trip [i]may[/i] have shortened its lifespan just a bit. I think the corrosive properties of the dust is something to be worried about, but if you wash your car afterward as best you can, you will most likely prevent anything too major.

It's really up to you. You could probably clean your car well enough after the burn that it would look like you never went, but there could be some long-term wear from the dust. You can never quite get every granule of dust out of anything, but you can get damn close. If it makes you feel any better, my car is running great and is very clean!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”