Soft Opening?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Packoderm

Soft Opening?

Post by Packoderm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Why do they have everybody come and leave on the same days? Wouldn't it make sense to sell different tiered tickets with various set arrival dates for a soft opening? One ticket tier could allow arrivals on Thursday, another on Friday, and so on. It would be nice to get something more from the higher priced tickets.

Herring

Post by Herring » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Not everybody comes and leaves on the same days. My understanding is if you bring an art installation or you're volunteering with certain departments you may be granted early entry. Why don't you do either of those?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Early entry can start a month or more before the event, there are DPW and some others out there for a month afterward.

For "regular entry"- it starts at 12:01am Monday morning (don't count on a soft opening), and, unless you're DPW or a large art installation, you're supposed to be off the playa by the Tuesday after Labor Day.

People arrive every single day up through Burn Saturday- it's not like everyone comes in on one day.

Exodus is primarily Sunday & Monday, but I've known people to leave as early as Thursday and as late as Tues.

This isn't a dictatorship- "they" don't make anybody do anything.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 am

Eric wrote:Early entry can start a month or more before the event, there are DPW and some others out there for a month afterward.

For "regular entry"- it starts at 12:01am Monday morning (don't count on a soft opening), and, unless you're DPW or a large art installation, you're supposed to be off the playa by the Tuesday after Labor Day.

People arrive every single day up through Burn Saturday- it's not like everyone comes in on one day.

Exodus is primarily Sunday & Monday, but I've known people to leave as early as Thursday and as late as Tues.

Yeah, I remember hearing the bell ringing throughout the week. The exodus was pretty good because of the 15 minute stop and wait strategy - I don't remember what that was called. It was sure easier on my nerves and my clutch. Maybe they could speed entry if they scanned the cargo trucks coming in if they rent x-ray scanners like they use on the border entry from Mexico instead of the slow searching like they do.

Look at all these people sneaking into Burning Man.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 am

Part of the problem is the BLM. If I understand correctly, the BLM requires BMOrg to allow participants entry to the part of the playa reserved for Burning Man only after a certain time and to require participants to be off the playa after some other certain time. So we end up being allowed on after midnight which is on a Monday and being required to leave before midnight on the following Monday.

As others have noted, people arrive all during the week - there's no requirement that people arrive at 12:01 AM on that Monday, but people just want all the BM they can get.

If you want to avoid Exodus, volunteer to work at Exodus. It'sa _great_ crew, and BMOrg can use all the volunteers they can get. See here for info on volunteering:

http://www.burningman.com/participate/v ... r_faq.html

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 am

Eric wrote:Early entry can start a month or more before the event, there are DPW and some others out there for a month afterward.

Yup. Approximately 20% or so of the city is already IN the city when you arrive at 12:01 am. That's how many it takes to create the little magic bubble for yous...
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 am

Packoderm wrote:Maybe they could speed entry if they scanned the cargo trucks coming in if they rent x-ray scanners like they use on the border entry from Mexico instead of the slow searching like they do.
You're kidding, right?

WTF?

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Yup. Approximately 20% or so of the city is already IN the city when you arrive at 12:01 am. That's how many it takes to create the little magic bubble for yous...
And maybe someday, they'll have an easy and glitch free EAP system.

Last year wasn't too bad, we only had like 7 or 8 of them screwed up by BORG issuing duplicate scan bars.

Best year was 08 I think. Our first guy on the early, early crew rolled up Wed morning and they told him his pass had already been scanned, but I think that was the first year for the barcode system on early entry.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”