Bike Builders Unite

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Cranky
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Cranky and Sons Bike Repair

Re: Bike Builders Unite

Post by Cranky » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 pm

I use a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench about 10" long, so the torque is getting up towards that range. It just seems that if the crank has been ridden while loose and the tapered hole has gotten mushed out, no amount of torquing will keep it from eventually loosening again. BTW, I meant to say PBR (PBS is something much more substantial).
Cranky and Sons Bike Repair

Promoting RADIAL self-reliance
Why NOT reinvent the wheel?

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:39 pm

:D
I enjoy the Public Broadcasting System myself, so I understand the error.

When the tapered-square hole is mangled, I replace the arm. That's one of the reasons I drag so many surplus bikes off the Playa -- to harvest parts.

The Big Blue Book Of Bicycle Repair, published by Park Tool, talks about using Loctite #RC-690 Retaining Compound for ill-fitting parts. Might be worth a try. But if a PBR-can works....
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

captain voltaveus
Burning Since: 2014

Post by captain voltaveus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Trike Update:

I got into our warehouse shop in SE Portland "The Foundry" today and started fabricating the nozzle for the propane poofer...

Pretty ugly tack welds - but they'll grind up smooth fine once they are filled in.

I also mounted the trike's rear rack, with tubing to hold 2 tall flags that I plan to sew up to match Center Camp's flags and fly them off at an angle out the back. The center mount is for the poofer, which I plan to make removable with a turn screw threaded and tapped.

Lastly, I put the first few coats of holographic paint onto the frame. I quickly realized that Im going to need more rattle cans of that stuff if I want it to come out looking silver, which is the look I'm hoping for.

I've got a solenoid and 2 valves for the little disposable propane tanks on the way from Dave X's Poofer Supply - so it was a good day of forward progress for the Voltcycle!

I built a DIY vintage suitcase Boombox recently with parts sourced from a cool local guy, Ezra at caseofbass.com. He sells kits with lithium ion batteries, amps, drivers and bluetooth chips. I definitely have to figure somewhere to build a sound system into this baby. Maybe in the center triangle, similar to the bar bikes or recently posted e-bike storm?

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Did you actually find some 4" wide trike hubs, or are you using normal width hubs? Did you have to replace all the spokes with custom lengths?

captain voltaveus

Post by captain voltaveus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I bought regular trike hubs off of an ebay seller, and then DID have to get new spokes cut for them. I had never laced wheels before and it was surprisingly easy to do - although I guess the acid test will be how true they stay when ridden more. Since they have no breaks associated with them, if they bounce out of true a little bit it won't be any big deal. I did try and stress the spokes though. It has been a complicated project, but hopefully will pay off...

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:48 am

Look'n pretty good. Just curious, did you use a basecoat under the prismatic paint? If so what.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

captain voltaveus

Post by captain voltaveus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 am

I purchased this stuff off of Amazon. It was $12 a can and arrived in a few days.

Their web site does recommend a shiny black undercoat and I also bought one rattle can of that stuff. Two cans of the Holographic paint was not enough coverage to get the silver shimmery look that I am hoping for. I've got two more cans in the mail now. I also bought a clear coat to add lastly...

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks. I'm not endorsing any particular product or company but

http://www.alsacorp.com/

has some amazing products.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Joeln
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 am

Outstanding work Captain V!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I think I'm gonna go down to Harbor Freight and buy a tubing roller... I've got a few abandoned but new playa bikes lying around that it occurs to me are a custom frame away from being ultra bitchin'...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Here's my Dyno... it's cool now but it's gonna get some modifications.

captain voltaveus

Post by captain voltaveus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 am

The Trike is assembled and complete - except for the fire effects which are getting put together later this week

I painted the frame with the holographic paint. It turned out ok, although it remains to be seen how bomber it is as I let the paint "cure" hanging in my Oregon garage in February.

The rear basket is fabricated with EMT conduit for holding up 2 flags and a metal pole with flame effect nozzle mounted on top.

While equal parts pain in the ass and Awesome, it has been a great project and I can't wait to get it out on the Playa!

Thanks to all of you who offered up advice , enthusiasm and inspiration.

T H E V O L T C Y C L C E !

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 am

I think Mongoose still makes the Beast...either that or yall are paying way too much for 4 inch rims
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:29 am

I think thats an exceptionally well done trike!

Navi_Keef
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Navi_Keef » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 am

progress, and went on a ride this past weekend at Cocoa Beach.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Bloody hell! Awesome ride!

Here's my cruiser, after some further modifications... more to come

Navi_Keef

Post by Navi_Keef » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 am

and this weekend i got my new bars and grips on and the sound system for my bike just came in! :D

captain voltaveus

Post by captain voltaveus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Thats looking like a bad ass sound system. I spoke with the caseofbass.com owner, Ezra this week about getting some drivers for the trike sound system.

Today I assembled the flame effect and pilot light. I did a test run of the pilot light and the remote igniter. Seems to work just fine. I threw some steel wool around the copper tubing pilot. I am a little concerned that the main flame effect mighty blow out the pilot light, or even melt the igniter?

I hope to getting the solenoid and ATV kill switch wired up and mounted onto the handle bars later this week. The solenoid is mounted just below the lightning bolt, and connects to a 12 inch pipe that extends up through the bolt.

[media]

Navi_Keef

Post by Navi_Keef » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 am

hell yeah man! that's a start! im sure you will tweak it as needed!

captain voltaveus

Post by captain voltaveus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am

Navi_Keef wrote:
Navi_Keef wrote:
captain voltaveus wrote:
The next step will be fabricating a rear shelf that can hold a propane tank for a rear trike Poofer with the solenoid switch mounted onto the handle bars.

BOOM!
haha i plan on doing the same thing! plan on using one of those camping 3lb green tanks and a tiki torch to use as the idle flame!
probably something along the lines of this
http://aaronmcsorley.com/?page_id=2

[media]
Well, the first test firing went off without a hitch last night. Its fair to say that it exceeded my expectations... Thanks for the advice on the project. This poofer has a coleman 1lb tank for the pilot light, and then I just used another 1lb tank with a needle valve 1/4NPT > Hose made for me at a local fireplace shop > poofer supply 1/4 NPT solenoid > 1 foot steel pipe with holes drilled out at the top. I don't think I would want any more of a poof for my tricycle!

[media]

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Haha! The trike is looking great Capt V! I laughed at the comment from your innocent bystander in the video.. something along the lines of..

..That's so not legal!
:D

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:57 pm

It's legal, and it's spectacular!

Navi_Keef

Post by Navi_Keef » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 am

captain voltaveus wrote:
Well, the first test firing went off without a hitch last night. Its fair to say that it exceeded my expectations... Thanks for the advice on the project. This poofer has a coleman 1lb tank for the pilot light, and then I just used another 1lb tank with a needle valve 1/4NPT > Hose made for me at a local fireplace shop > poofer supply 1/4 NPT solenoid > 1 foot steel pipe with holes drilled out at the top. I don't think I would want any more of a poof for my tricycle!

hell yes! im glad to see such great results and cant wait to see what mine has in store for me! :evil:
did you run a full tank through it yet? curious on how many poofs or how much light time you are getting from it.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:12 pm

OK Meat Hunter, just because you can't post pictures here......I'll do it for you. Your bike is a work of art. This is what it looks like now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm

This is what it looked like last year. I have basket envy. You can lock things up and the basket can't walk away either. So cool. How is the 1/8 inch plywood attached to the basket? I can't see any bolts. If the wind is fierce can you remove the canopy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Ratty,

The reason that you cannot see the bolt heads on the outside of the pre-painted wood panels is because: I drilled the bolt hole, gently used a counter sink bit and then the heads of the machine screws sit flush with the surface of the wood.

Inside the basket, I used strips of 1"wide x 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock with a holed drilled for the threaded machine screw to pass through and then a nut to hold the bar tight against the inside of the basket.

Once the pre-painted wooden panels are held in place, I smeared a light-weight and easily sanded hole filler over the head of the machine screw. Once the hole filler dried, I gently hand sanded it flush with the surface of the wood and painted over it.

When I get more stickers, I will add panels to the remaining three sides of the rear basket.

Thanks for posting the images.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Ratty,

To remove the canopy is easy. See the worm clamps on the 4 PVC canopy holders in the back basket.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Elliot,

I now understand completely what you were talking about when you advised against plastic and advised for metal bicycle pedals.

For last years burn, I purchase a beautiful set of yellow plastic pedals that match the blue and yellow color scheme of my tricycle. Today was sunny with blue sky and the perfect time to do my first prep of the trike for this year's burn.

As I was washing 6 months off barn dust off the trike, I noticed that both of my beautiful translucent yellow pedals had multiple cracks emanating out from the bolt ends of both pedals.

If it had not been for you sounding the tocsin, it would not have even crossed my mind to look at the pedals. I am all set for another Burn -- A new set of yellow-painted steel pedals are on the way.

Thank you for taking care of us who are unable to take care of ourselves.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:... A new set of yellow-painted steel pedals are on the way.
Actually aluminum. (Of course, the shaft is steel.) I recommend one-piece aluminum-body pedals. Not the ones with steel "teeth" fastened to an aluminum "cross" with screws -- those screws come loose. You shouldn't need to spend more than $15.- for a pair, if you hunt a little online. $20.- tops. I've found good ones for $10.-.

Pedals come in two sizes -- 1/2" and 9/16". That's the thread that goes into the crank-arm. And yes, they come in good-old-American threads, no matter how metric the rest of the bike. 1-piece cranks take 1/2" pedals. 3-piece cranks take 9/16" pedals.
The left pedal has left-hand threads.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

Navi_Keef

Post by Navi_Keef » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 am

Just a heads up, I have heard some bike theft stories out from Burning Man. I plan on buying a few of these and putting them on all of my quality bikes of value. Pretty cheap when you buy in bulk and could probably fit hidden under a seat or basket. https://www.thetrackr.com

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”