From a great source: Gates will definately open at 6 p.m.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Steppy

From a great source: Gates will definately open at 6 p.m.

Post by Steppy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I heard it from a very good source, high Org position/year-round employee type that the 6 pm opening last year was a success and will be tried again.

Something about trying to have people make the long overroad journeys during daylight instead of night. Safer on the roads, etc.

Plan accordingly!

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: From a great source: Gates will definately open at 6 p.

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Steppy wrote:I heard it from a very good source, high Org position/year-round employee type that the 6 pm opening last year was a success and will be tried again.

Something about trying to have people make the long overroad journeys during daylight instead of night. Safer on the roads, etc.

Plan accordingly!
August 30 at 6:00 p.m.?
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

This post seems like a practical joke.
Or some sort of wichful thinking (I too hope the doors open at 6pm).
Or maybe, Steppy, might be trying to enough people there at 6pm that they will have to choice to open the gates.

Or maybe Steppy is actually right.

Though, until I hear it from BMorg, I'll plan for midnight. But it would kick ass if the doors opened at 6 or earlier. Would make it easier to find a good camp spot before it gets dark.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon May 09, 2011 12:44 pm

I think Steppy means 6 pm on Sunday...ie.. 6 hours earlier than the typical midnight opening.

They did this last year in a not very well kept surprise as a "soft opening."

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

It's either a joke, or a leak of true information that is still (of course) subject to change. :D

What was the source of the tip-off last year? Anyone remember? (Was it the main site? Or Jack Rabbit Speaks?)

It might not help any with congestion if everyone knows about it (as it did last year--since a lot of people kept their usual plans and aimed for midnight arrival) but it would at least prevent the number of people driving curvy cow-haunted roads in the dark.

BaconHand

Post by BaconHand » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

This sounds like a way to guarantee a D-lot party!

We'll be setting up our art early, but will be at the gate with sound as soon as they'll let us! :D
BurningMan 2011 honorarium: http://www.s-conductor.com / http://kck.st/hiCSRf
We need your help to make it happen. Please visit the website for more information.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon May 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Great, now everyone will be lining up at 11:00am so they can get in at 6:00. I guess it will all be the same problem as before--only earlier now. :roll:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Last year we were already on the playa and heard it from our placer (or their sidekick). Seems to be at the request of law enforcement.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Aha. Well, if that's what LE wants... I was going to treat this as a joke, pretty much for the reason Shamballa said.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 pm

As much as its hard to believe a person that signed up today, and only has one post, it sure would be nice if they opened the gates at 6.
There would be a lot less people trying to find a place to camp in the dark. And you might get a bit more camp set up, or at least get some sleep then start setting up when the sun came up.

We've always shot for the crack of dawn Monday, and always been late.
What time do most people start showing up on Sunday?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 pm

The gates may open while it's still light out, but I will still plan my arrival for after dark...there's something about seeing the playa lit up on the horizon during one's approach that gives it an otherworldly glow...wouldn't want to deprive a newbie that experience.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm confused about the dates.

The website says Monday, Aug. 29 is when it starts. Is this mysterious 6 pm the Sunday before?

Otherwise does the gate open midnight between Sunday and Monday?

I was just planning to make my final burn from Nellis AFB, just outside of Las Vegas to arrive Monday when I damn well please, hopefully in daylight.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Think of it as the event opening at 12:01am on Monday August 29th. If Monday remains best for you, keep that schedule, because if early entry happens for a bunch of people Sunday evening it will actually make your arrival at your originally planned Monday time that much easier and less congested. Hopefully.

(All of this conjecture refers to the event possibly opening on 6pm Sunday August 28th, whether or not it actually comes to pass.)

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm

dragonpilot wrote:The gates may open while it's still light out, but I will still plan my arrival for after dark...there's something about seeing the playa lit up on the horizon during one's approach that gives it an otherworldly glow...wouldn't want to deprive a newbie that experience.
+1
What other people think about you is none of your business.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:I'm confused about the dates.

The website says Monday, Aug. 29 is when it starts. Is this mysterious 6 pm the Sunday before?

Otherwise does the gate open midnight between Sunday and Monday?

I was just planning to make my final burn from Nellis AFB, just outside of Las Vegas to arrive Monday when I damn well please, hopefully in daylight.
It's not really necessary to get there right when the gates open unless you're trying to get a prime camping spot. I've arrived monday evening both times and there were alot of empty spots on the outer rings, not so much towards the center.

Yes, they're talking about Sunday the 28th, 6pm.

Lord Of Ruin

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm not sure who Steppy is, and I do see that it's a new account.

That said, I'm starting to believe this pretty strongly. Contacts I have outside my departments as well as the ones I work for are all shifting scheduling loads towards the 6 pm Sunday evening timeframe.

In years prior to last year, those staffing things were clearly built around midnight.

So either all those departments, with heads that work directly with the BORG are fooled by Steppy's one post, or they have advance info and are reacting to it as well.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 pm

dragonpilot wrote:The gates may open while it's still light out, but I will still plan my arrival for after dark...there's something about seeing the playa lit up on the horizon during one's approach that gives it an otherworldly glow...wouldn't want to deprive a newbie that experience.
LOL, sorta same with the day. The huge dust cloud that forms around the city, then vanishes above, gives it a shroud of secrecy.
From All you see is a string of cars driving into a huge dust bubble dome. Then as you get into the cloud you start to see the city a little bit. Then you get to the gates, and the dust is the thickest and worst from all the cars driving, and you see the greetings, like guardians of a magical gate. You give them your ticket, show them you can be there, then drive forward, the dust is terrible until you arrive at the out side ring, the dust clears. And there it is Black Rock City!

It always makes me feel like Burning Man is something that could only exist inside a snow glob and would fall apart if it weren't held together by this dust cloud.

It also make me think, that the cloud is there to keep Burning Man hidden, so that spectators can't look in and see the amazing city!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 2:57 pm

mudpuppy000 said
It's not really necessary to get there right when the gates open unless you're trying to get a prime camping spot. I've arrived monday evening both times and there were alot of empty spots on the outer rings, not so much towards the center.
Agreed. And not everyone has the same definition of a "prime" camping spot. I don't like camping anywhere near the Esplanade.

Lord of Ruin said:
So either all those departments, with heads that work directly with the BORG are fooled by Steppy's one post, or they have advance info and are reacting to it as well.
Steppy's post is probably too recent to have fooled a bunch of departments (whom I can't imagine maintain a vigilant daily presence), so while there is of course the possibility of a prank, I think it's also likely they just got really excited to share some information; excited enough to establish an identity or make a sockpuppet so they don't get in trouble for sharing the info early. :)

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon May 09, 2011 4:27 pm

it's my understanding that they opened the gates early last year because they were expecting a big rain storm & didn't want alot of folks getting stuck in the mud. the news was passed around "word of mouth" to folks waiting in Gerlach.
don't forget to floss

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Savannah wrote: I think it's also likely they just got really excited to share some information; excited enough to establish an identity or make a sockpuppet so they don't get in trouble for sharing the info early. :)
This could be true. A screen name for their screen name.
Could be Larry Harvey for all we know.

Also, in one of the first few JRS right after last year, it was talked about. It didn't necessarily denounce the 6pm opening, but more that current plans were to keep it at mid-night. And only time would tell if it was moved to 6pm again. I'll see if I cant dig up which JRS it was.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Boijoy wrote:it's my understanding that they opened the gates early last year because they were expecting a big rain storm & didn't want alot of folks getting stuck in the mud. the news was passed around "word of mouth" to folks waiting in Gerlach.
I actually got this early open info for last year about 6 weeks out from a well-connected source...way too far out for an accurate weather forecast. As we cruised thru the gate about 11 PM Gate Person mentioned it was requested by LEO to reduce/lessen traffic impact thru Gerlach.

Looks like it worked, except that maybe this year you'll have the same Gate Crush BEFORE 6 PM...which means Gates will open at noon!

Spread the word!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 5:34 pm

I'd put money on six if this were Monte Carlo.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

illy dilly wrote: Also, in one of the first few JRS right after last year, it was talked about. It didn't necessarily denounce the 6pm opening, but more that current plans were to keep it at mid-night. And only time would tell if it was moved to 6pm again. I'll see if I cant dig up which JRS it was.

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 15, Issue #2
October 13, 2010

+ THE GATE OPENED EARLY?!

Yep, we opened the Gate at 6pm on Sunday, rather than the traditional midnight. Our intention was to alleviate the pressure on Gate Road, Route 34 and Gerlach by opening the valve and letting our some steam. Our apologies to folks who may have been inconvenienced or unpleasantly surprised by this somehow.

Will this happen again in 2011? We don't know yet. But it's an important issue (we get in trouble with the Nevada Highway Patrol if traffic backs up or stops on Route 34 - the main objective in all cases is keeping that traffic moving steadily) that we need to contend with in order to keep doing our event.

You can look forward to much much more in the 2010 Afterburn reports, which should be posted in early 2011. Got questions, feedback, or suggestions? Send us a note! feedback@burningman.com
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Oooh, what a decision? I, too, like to come in just before dawn. It'll be safer to make that crossing of Cedar Pass and northern Nevada in the daylight, that's for sure. But dawn of Day 1, I dunno'...?

\^/
/..\ Furthur

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon May 09, 2011 11:12 pm

I arrived at dawn, one year.
Handed my ticket to the gate, just as light crowned the mountains;
found camp as the sun began to peep...
was out at the temple by full sunrise...
awesomeness!

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Tue May 10, 2011 8:48 am

While I bet they do open the gates again early, I do wish people wouldn't blab about it and make it common knowledge. :P Wishful thinking, I know.

I understood the reasoning for it when it occurred (I was cruising around the trash fence after working at Greeters watching the ridiculous traffic) but I was concerned how it would effect this year's opening.

As Shambala said, it's just going to make the traffic jam start earlier...that doesn't seem very productive!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 am

Last year I got just past empire at 1am and even with the early open it took 7 hours to get to greeters! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Tue May 10, 2011 9:21 am

FIGJAM wrote:Last year I got just past empire at 1am and even with the early open it took 7 hours to get to greeters! :shock:
I assume you keep the car shut off? How do you not run out of fuel otherwise?

Jiā yóu!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 am

FIGJAM wrote:Last year I got just past empire at 1am and even with the early open it took 7 hours to get to greeters! :shock:
I arrive on Thursday before opening and it took 20 minutes from Bruno's to my camping spot at 9 and C. HA!

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am

I was at the sign at 11:00pm sunday night..after a few people said the gates were open, and no line at all, I drove in, and was pounding rebar by 11:30pm.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”