From a great source: Gates will definately open at 6 p.m.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue May 10, 2011 10:26 am

I think s/he meant Gate will open *defiantly* at 6pm. Don't they always?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 am

The Gate people are pretty brash.

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Tue May 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Just to be clear, the primary reason to open the gate earlier is to move the main traffic time to daylight hours in reasonable timeframes for the bulk of the population.

People come to the event from all over the world, but the bulk of them are from the bay area. The goal is to get it so that majority are travelling when it's likely that they are well-rested and in brightly -lit daylight hours.

A huge portion of the issues that slow down the Gate are when people are completely unprepared combined with being sleep deprived/altered and having to work through those issues in such a state.

I'm aware of what JRS says the reason for the early open last year and "relieving pressure" was part of it, but everyone with an IQ above 80 is aware that that is a one-time thing once people shift to a new earlier opening time.

It's just to make it much safer for everyone involved.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Savannah wrote:The Gate people are pretty brash.
Hey now........I'm a very demure fellow.......and, I did a couple of gate shifts last year.....and will again this year. Opening Monday morning.........crazy fun.

if you get there Monday morning, look for me:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey now........I'm a very demure fellow.......and, I did a couple of gate shifts last year.....and will again this year. Opening Monday morning.........crazy fun.
It's too late to work this "demure" angle . . . C187 and VeganChoirGirl cancel out your modesty. Rakes and hoydens, the lot of ya!

I'll be coming in on the eve of Friday 8/26, if this year shakes out like last year, and due to crushing boredom at the gate @ that day and time, I expect another 15 minute search. :D

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Savannah wrote:
It's too late to work this "demure" angle . . . C187 and VeganChoirGirl cancel out your modesty. Rakes and hoydens, the lot of ya!

I'll be coming in on the eve of Friday 8/26, if this year shakes out like last year, and due to crushing boredom at the gate @ that day and time, I expect another 15 minute search. :D
those two are lascivious, debaucherous, desert rascals, of ill repute and sullied character!!!
never believe what they say about me.........

I may well be working gate on Friday, or Saturday, as well........
I'm hoping to have my tux by then, but, if not, prolly a black slicker, cowboy hat, and boots.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bob
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Why 6pm, is that when the BLM's per diem clock clicks over to the following day?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Lord Of Ruin

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Tue May 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Bob wrote:Why 6pm, is that when the BLM's per diem clock clicks over to the following day?
Actually, many of the departments at TTITD have adopted the 12/6 changeover model.

Oh...and rumor has it that many parties involved wanted it (both last year and this) to be much earlier than 6 pm, but that's as far as BLM and some in the Org would budge.

Compromise...it's what's for dinner.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:13 pm

ygmir wrote:...those two are lascivious, debaucherous, desert rascals, of ill repute and sullied character!!! ...
I think that's the first complement I've ever received on eplaya.
Savannah wrote:...I expect another 15 minute search. :D
*grabs latex glove* Hush now, we wouldn't want your romantic partner to be concerned again. *snaps latex glove on wrist*

---

Regardless of a 6pm soft, hard, sure, or safe open.. I've got a date with the midnight shift to enact my revenge. *evil laugh*

rawxtir

some rumors can turn out to be true BUTT

Post by rawxtir » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

what will help more than anything else is for folks to come prepared and help the gayte alleviate the build up of thousands of cars when the event begins. . . . . . By prepared, I'm referring to everything that happens before and up until you get to greeters tee pee trash fence area. ..... .. . .. . .... . ..... ... from how you pack your car to keeping your tickets on you in a secure place (not holding them out in the wind to blow away), use rested and registered drivers, and have enough gasoline with you. As long and hard of a journey as it may be, the time to engage in extracurricular activities and alcohol consumption is once you get well inside the city NOT while your waiting on gate road, even if yes, it takes you hours and hours. ...... . . ... . . ... . . ... ... it will be a great day when folks bring less items that are not allowed such as plants, animals, moopy/feathery items, and fireworks. And please please please like James Brown, if you have your ticket being held at will call: go with the entire car you came with. Thinking that you will find them at the gate is understandable but rarely the case. Folks walking in and around gate road slows things down tremendously, is dangerous (yes seriously, an rv driver who can barely see, even while going 5 miles an hour is still going to cause significant damage to your foot and or leg.) It also takes much more time than would otherwise to "babysit" and keep track of the random will callers searching for their caravan that is long gone. There are only so many gayte volunteers busting their ass so y'all can get in to the city and any "special needs" person or persons slooooows the process down. ................ All this applies to any and whatever time the gates actually open. Which is still in negotiation so how about getting all the people you know who go to think about the issues that slooooow everyone doooown. ....... lastly tune in to BMIR as soon as you are able once you get in the area. Seriously. Thank you for your time and may the unicorns be with you.
".... and one more thing"

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue May 10, 2011 6:31 pm

I think that's the first complement I've ever received on eplaya.
Not true. My only slightly slanderous claim that you are a rake precedes ygmir's statement by 29 minutes.

rake2 |rÄ

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Wed May 11, 2011 9:03 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Aha. Well, if that's what LE wants... I was going to treat this as a joke, pretty much for the reason Shamballa said.
Ahhh so, and if Shambala said he wanted AntiM to spank his bare ass would you say it as well? :P

Or maybe you'd prefer to oblige him instead

:lol:

[/youtube]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Wed May 11, 2011 9:03 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Aha. Well, if that's what LE wants... I was going to treat this as a joke, pretty much for the reason Shamballa said.
Ahhh so, and if Shambala said he wanted AntiM to spank his bare ass would you say you want it as well? :P

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: some rumors can turn out to be true BUTT

Post by The Hustler » Wed May 11, 2011 9:40 am

rawxtir wrote:what will help more than anything else is for folks to come prepared and help the gayte alleviate the build up of thousands of cars when the event begins. . . . . . By prepared, I'm referring to everything that happens before and up until you get to greeters tee pee trash fence area. ..... .. . .. . .... . ..... ... from how you pack your car to keeping your tickets on you in a secure place (not holding them out in the wind to blow away), use rested and registered drivers, and have enough gasoline with you. As long and hard of a journey as it may be, the time to engage in extracurricular activities and alcohol consumption is once you get well inside the city NOT while your waiting on gate road, even if yes, it takes you hours and hours. ...... . . ... . . ... . . ... ... it will be a great day when folks bring less items that are not allowed such as plants, animals, moopy/feathery items, and fireworks. And please please please like James Brown, if you have your ticket being held at will call: go with the entire car you came with. Thinking that you will find them at the gate is understandable but rarely the case. Folks walking in and around gate road slows things down tremendously, is dangerous (yes seriously, an rv driver who can barely see, even while going 5 miles an hour is still going to cause significant damage to your foot and or leg.) It also takes much more time than would otherwise to "babysit" and keep track of the random will callers searching for their caravan that is long gone. There are only so many gayte volunteers busting their ass so y'all can get in to the city and any "special needs" person or persons slooooows the process down. ................ All this applies to any and whatever time the gates actually open. Which is still in negotiation so how about getting all the people you know who go to think about the issues that slooooow everyone doooown. ....... lastly tune in to BMIR as soon as you are able once you get in the area. Seriously. Thank you for your time and may the unicorns be with you.
BMIR streams online 24/7 for free. It's like listening to the commercial-free and very awesome college station in Connecticut, WXCI.

I can't wait to actually hear it on a radio, instead of through the Interwebs.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 am

Sail Man wrote:
Ahhh so, and if Shambala said he wanted AntiM to spank his bare ass would you say you want it as well? :P

I wouldn't need Shambala to say that to recommend it be done.
Be serious!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Charlie Parker

Post by Charlie Parker » Wed May 11, 2011 11:16 am

What is the BMIR dial number on the playa?

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 am

94.5 FM baybeeee!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Gate has opened early more or less every year since the "strict" enforcement policy was imposed by the BLM.

AFAIK, it has always been at the request if the constable, be it traffic concerns, local community impact, or inclement weather.

The underlying motive is safety.

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Wed May 11, 2011 3:33 pm

ygmir wrote:
Savannah wrote:

those two are lascivious, debaucherous, desert rascals, of ill repute and sullied character!!!
never believe what they say about me.........

I may well be working gate on Friday, or Saturday, as well........
I'm hoping to have my tux by then, but, if not, prolly a black slicker, cowboy hat, and boots.......
Keep your eyes open on saturday then yggi Me and MDF may well be arriving then!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes ygmir if you are working gate, please keep your eyes open. Would'nt want you to get run over before I even meet ya :wink:

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm ever alert!!!

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

There will be so many Barbiebarians coming in on Saturday that if Yggy gives us any crap, we'll overwhelm and devistate. That's our plan and there's nothing you can do about it! Remember: Today the playa, tomorrow the world!

Steppy

Re: From a great source: Gates will definately open at 6 p.

Post by Steppy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 pm

BUMPPITY BUMP BUMP

This has been confirmed by more than one source. Gates will definately "soft open" at 6 pm on Sunday.

Steppy

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re:

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:46 am

Interesting
Last edited by CapSmashy on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am

I admit that I (personally) would not aim for 6pm unless I saw it on the main site, the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter or was given the info by the Gatey Glamazons or early arrival volunteers of my acquaintance, but--since I won't be entering the city at either 6pm or 12:01am--I am happy that this may occur again.

I hope Steppy doesn't mind my stubbornness. We get some weird things from new posters . . . usually never anything good. (Can we learn to love again?)

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

It seems to me that Steppy and others have forgotten the first rule about Fight Club..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Dr Jet Sinister

Re:

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 am

Minxy wrote:While I bet they do open the gates again early, I do wish people wouldn't blab about it and make it common knowledge. :P Wishful thinking, I know.

I understood the reasoning for it when it occurred (I was cruising around the trash fence after working at Greeters watching the ridiculous traffic) but I was concerned how it would effect this year's opening.

As Shambala said, it's just going to make the traffic jam start earlier...that doesn't seem very productive!
There's only a small percentage of people that bother to look at the eplaya, so I don't think there would be that many people finding out.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Here is what happens when people arrive early:

Anyone arriving to "get in line" is put in D-Lot. This is a punative measure meant to be a deterrent. First person into D-Lot will be the last person out of D-Lot.

Once D-Lot is full, unfortunately Gate has no choice but to line them up for the gate.

When midnight comes, or earlier if BLM and/or Nevada State Patrol tell the org to open the gates.
Then five lanes of traffic from the road are searched and tickets are taken; meanwhile one lane from D-Lot also enters the city.
Traffic from both the highway and D-Lot are still entering the city at dawn, as seen in this photo:

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Ah, the Lane of Shame. :lol:

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:18 pm

What do you think for timing...
Leave the Wal-Mart in Fernley at 9:30, grab every last drop of gas you can, then start heading towards BRC. Going slow at night, should put you there at about Mid-Night?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”