Bicycle question, three-wheelers??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Bicycle question, three-wheelers??

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:54 pm

streetartsquirrel,

From your image, it appears that you might have the below brand of electric kit for your trike. You can take a look at this image to see if you might be receiving all the parts.

For installation and operational instructions, you might also try contacting this seller to see if they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your project.

http://www.bikeberry.com/brushless-elec ... gQod14wJ7w
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

blackdragon01
Burning Since: 2014

Post by blackdragon01 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:44 pm

Shoeshine wrote:OK got the build started using that Schwinn meridian and the wheelchair motor. Drivetrain clearly needs to work so I start here. Motor mounted nicely to the frame where the basket would sit using a scrap of aluminum bar stock. ( still have to shim it a little to tighten up the chain)

plenty of room on the rear axle to add a sprocket and adapter. nice thing is that it lets me use a freewheel so that the motor will kick in when I hit the switch but freewheels when I am pedaling/coasting so damn near no resistance other than weight. shout out to http://www.staton-inc.com for some hard to find parts.

Next to build the battery box and controller mount

Thx all... wouldn't have taken this on without the sage advice and dumb questions answered here.

Shoe
I may be late to this forum, but hey!! I finally got here! And since I"m here, I'd like to ask where you got the motor from? I'm planning to do pretty much the same thing with the same model bike.

If possible, how did you get the axle out to get the gear on?

Thanks!

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:36 pm

The motor was from an electric mobility scooter that I got off craigslist for I think around $100 because the seat was torn up.
Two 24v High torque / low RPM motors, and two serviceable batteries + controllers. Total bargain.

The axle is easy. Take off the hub from the drive wheel, there is a set screw on the drive chain sprocket, knock out the key with a pin punch (or large nail) and the axle will just slide out.. it is just a shaft with a keyway. you obviously need to get a new additional sprocket/freewheel sized to the shaft and the right size key stock.

Re-assembly is a bit more fiddly, (three hands helped here) but hardly insurmountable. even with very basic tools, a couple of crescent and allen wrenches.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”