Sneaking into Burning Man

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Re: Sneaking into Burning Man

Post by Trishntek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:If the idiots think tickets to Burning Man are expensive, they should see how much it costs to start, build and run a theme camp! All for the love of fellow Burners.
And worth every penny...................
Yeah,,,, wellll,,,,, ya gotta gift it to me dooood,,,, likee snifffff,,,,, I gotta right to PARTICIPATE MAN!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

zscott57

Post by zscott57 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm

If they want to sneak in I think they will have to learn to skydive. Thats the only free way in to the man.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Really? I didn't know that. I thought they came in through the gate and then took off from BRC airport for their dives. :shock:
zscott57 wrote:If they want to sneak in I think they will have to learn to skydive. Thats the only free way in to the man.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 am

Camping at some KOA campgrounds will set you back $360 or more. Add in some of the amazing art and participatory entertainment, and it's quite a bargain. If your friends can't see that, then Burning Man might not be the event for them to attend.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:47 am

Damn, now I have to find something to clean all this coffee off my screen.

Edit - This was in response to The CO's post which appeared to be the end of the thread when I posted, but now a lot of posts have appeared in between so I'm curious if anyone else is seeing the boards acting a bit wonky today?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

HandJamMasterC
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Post by HandJamMasterC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

You can pay up to $100 for a concert ticket....and that's only one night. I wish I only had to pay $80 for a ticket again, but I understand why they're so expensive.
I just met someone that went to a Sting concert - $ 250.00 for the ticket, plus front row seat was a $ 1000.00 additional donation to a charity. I'd rather be at Burning Man..............
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/

Charlie Parker
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Charlie Parker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

These "friends" sound like the type of people that also would say, "You can show up at the gate with nothing, and the community will take care of you."

AKA - selfish mooches. Just show your friends the responses to this thread. Also, I have to question the quality of your boyfriend if these are the types of people he hangs out with. Sorry.
"Be the change you wanna see in the world."

"Bears are crazy, Willie. They'll bite your head if you wear steak on it."

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 am

The CO wrote:Turnip (& anyone with "friends" like this), cut the following deal with them:...
Sir, no wonder we love you!

Question - how do you keep the fleas and bedbugs the "rider" planted in the couch out of your stuff?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am

jkisha wrote:Really? I didn't know that. I thought they came in through the gate and then took off from BRC airport for their dives. :shock:
zscott57 wrote:If they want to sneak in I think they will have to learn to skydive. Thats the only free way in to the man.
That's only if they want to use parachutes.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

Those parachutists DO have their wristband on, right? heh heh heh... :twisted:

I heard they're installng a cannon to send fencehoppers that try this back out the way they came in. :mrgreen: Hey, if one can launch a piano, launching an illegal entry would be a heck of a lot easier.

Damn, I oughta vol for Perimeter. Those guys have FUN!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 pm

BBSue is correct. Sky divers have wrist bands. The spaceport gate crew takes their job very seriously. Anyone who can afford to skydive in can afford a ticket.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm

What the CO said, but, take their $500, buy them a ticket for $360 and pocket the $140. THEN make them ride in the smelly couch.
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Question - how do you keep the fleas and bedbugs the "rider" planted in the couch out of your stuff?
That's easy, burn the couch!

Playa+Tom

Post by Playa+Tom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Please try to sneak in when I am on shift.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 pm

And please film it, that I may watch later.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Aside from everything else, you could die sneaking in.

I talked to someone whose friend tried to sneak in, not for entry, just for early entry.
They were hidden a very short time and the heat nearly did them in.

It has to do with radiant heat and reflection and retention of radiant heat.

It can seem safe and you can cook.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:25 am

Drawingablank wrote:Just tell them it's about Radical SELF Reliance - so disguise yourself as a jackrabbit and sneak yourself in.

Let them chew on that for a while lol.

The ticket is actually the least expense on our trip to BRC - I suspect that these "friends" would be total mooches all week.
I have 17 syllables just for this occasion:

Windblown floppy ears
Are all that are left of the
Bunny on the road
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 am

You can't sneak in but you can streak in.

Just bring a small towel to sit on pleez.

Apox

Post by Apox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:17 am

I for one appreciate the cost of burning man being as high as it is. Think about it, if the tickets were just a hundred bucks cheaper, it would open more doors for the 'less civilized' to enter. And by 'less civilized', I mean people who only care about themselves, and don't participate or enjoy what it means to be at burning man. If it was a cheap or free event, theft would be high, hard drug use and sells would be extreme, and more trouble would arise more then what it would be worth.

To put it bluntly, poor people would ruin the exclusiveness of the event.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 am

I think you're on to something here...there should be a means test to even buy tickets. If you don't make at LEAST $250,000.00 you can't even buy a ticket. And if you don't earn over $1,000,000.00 you have to camp in the boonies beyond G and can't even attend the burn, which of course will have reserved seating. BTW don't even think about fucking with my drugs!
Apox wrote:I for one appreciate the cost of burning man being as high as it is. Think about it, if the tickets were just a hundred bucks cheaper, it would open more doors for the 'less civilized' to enter. And by 'less civilized', I mean people who only care about themselves, and don't participate or enjoy what it means to be at burning man. If it was a cheap or free event, theft would be high, hard drug use and sells would be extreme, and more trouble would arise more then what it would be worth.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

DustHand

Post by DustHand » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

Apox wrote:I for one appreciate the cost of burning man being as high as it is. Think about it, if the tickets were just a hundred bucks cheaper, it would open more doors for the 'less civilized' to enter. And by 'less civilized', I mean people who only care about themselves, and don't participate or enjoy what it means to be at burning man. If it was a cheap or free event, theft would be high, hard drug use and sells would be extreme, and more trouble would arise more then what it would be worth.

Hmmmm. So I bought a Tier 4 ticket for 320 bucks. I suppose we should build some sort of corral for the Tier 1 people that only spent 210. Or at the very least make them wear some sort of badge or letter so we know they aren't as exclusive as me.

Which reminds me, I haven't gotten my VIP pass yet. Has anyone else?
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

At first I was gonna be an ass cause I saw 'less civilized', and give you shit because a lot of us go to BRC to BE less civilized. But, by the time I finished reading your post, I realized I agree 100%.

Thank god it costs soo much! Keeps more teeny boppers out. And you are correct about hard drug use and theft as well.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Apox

Post by Apox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Thank you Illy Dilly for understanding where i went with my post.

As for Dusthand, the tickets wouldn't be 210 if, like I stated, were a hundred dollars cheaper, hmm. let's see. 210 - 100 = .... Check in with your brain before you criticize. Or go with jkisha's theory and start your own qualifications of having the ability to purchase a ticket. It should start with simple math.

Furthermore, yes. You have the ability to buy cheaper tickets, it is used to get money rolling in for the event. HOWEVER, also notice that they allow low-income buys as well... in limited supply. Don't be mad at me because I see and speak truths. The practice of limiting the lesser fortunate is already in place.

I am not trying to put myself on a pedestal, God knows what I had to do to afford this trip. However, with that said, I will make sure I am not going to break rules, act obnoxious, and get kicked out. I have over a grand invested in this trip, and I for one will not risk losing it. That is the fundamental thought I would like to express. I know the cost is high because of the cost for setup, break down, land lease, etc. I'm just saying I appreciate it.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:18 pm

jkisha wrote:I think you're on to something here...there should be a means test to even buy tickets. If you don't make at LEAST $250,000.00 you can't even buy a ticket. And if you don't earn over $1,000,000.00 you have to camp in the boonies beyond G and can't even attend the burn, which of course will have reserved seating. BTW don't even think about fucking with my drugs!

Well, now I can't go!!!

I've been radically excluded!!! :cry:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Apox

Post by Apox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 pm

jkisha wrote:I think you're on to something here...there should be a means test to even buy tickets. If you don't make at LEAST $250,000.00 you can't even buy a ticket. And if you don't earn over $1,000,000.00 you have to camp in the boonies beyond G and can't even attend the burn, which of course will have reserved seating.
BUT, could you imagine how awesome that would be?

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Apox wrote:
jkisha wrote:I think you're on to something here...there should be a means test to even buy tickets. If you don't make at LEAST $250,000.00 you can't even buy a ticket. And if you don't earn over $1,000,000.00 you have to camp in the boonies beyond G and can't even attend the burn, which of course will have reserved seating.
BUT, could you imagine how awesome that would be?
IT seems that is already put into practice at the Montecito Polo Club.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Apox wrote:To put it bluntly, poor people would ruin the exclusiveness of the event.
This is just wrong on so many levels.

Considering one of the principles is inclusion, that statement seems odd to say the least.

Not everyone who is poor is a drug dealer or a thief.

It is easy to be on a high horse when things are going well, but you should remember that none of us know what the future holds for for them - yourself included.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying the current economy has put a big strain on my budget - do you really think that burners who have become poor recently should not be allowed to return? Or first timers that have to scrimp and save every penny to attend should not be allowed to?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Apox

Post by Apox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I believe 'poor' is a state of mind, and has nothing to do with money. If you believe you are poor (whatever your definition of 'poor' might be) then you are.

Traditionally, 'poor' has a tone of little to no income. However, when you have such a vast amount of people attending the event, traditional terms become a grey line.

This would support my original post, given that it was in response to the original poster talking about the friends attempting to talk him/her into sneaking into BM. People like their friends (no offense to OP) are in a poor state of mind and would ruin the event for the rest of us. More security, more rules, law enforcement, etc.

I never said anything about low income individuals affecting anyones expierence.

Apox

Post by Apox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Drawingablank wrote:do you really think that burners who have become poor recently should not be allowed to return? Or first timers that have to scrimp and save every penny to attend should not be allowed to?

And to answer your last question, absolutely not. But you can bet your ass those are the people that will do everything they can to follow the rules, be good citizens, and respect others... I for one am a first timer, and made vast sacrifices to attend this year. Monetary and other.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:06 pm

WOW,
Apox, for a minute you made a good point.
The cost of the event and ticket price keeps people that aren't serious away from the event.

But then you started making wild accusations and basically spouting stupid bull shit.
Yes, Poor could have different meanings. But get real, this is America, we use the connotative meaning of words. Not the absurd and outlandish "the word could also mean".
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

DustHand

Post by DustHand » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm

[BEGIN RANT]
I am not really a ranter…but boy….
Your arguments are contradictory and you are back pedaling:
Apox wrote:I believe 'poor' is a state of mind, and has nothing to do with money. If you believe you are poor (whatever your definition of 'poor' might be) then you are.
Your Previous Post:

Poor is a state of mind? Really? Not quite what you said at first.

You asked me to check my math. OK: 320 – 100 = 220 = 10 dollars more than the Tier 1 Tickets. This is the relevant ticket price because the people who want to sneak in TODAY do not have an option to purchase a 220 ticket. The only ones available are $360. (More math) 360 - 100 = 260 = STILL more expensive than the lowest price tickets available at any given point. I would imagine if the people saying "it's too expensive, can you sneak me in" were approached in January to spend only $210, they would not say that.

I agree with you on the point of appreciating the cost of the ticket. It is money well spent. I believe that translates into a greater budget for the BMORG, and therefore a far greater experience for all of us. If the event was free or exceptionally inexpensive, there wouldn't be any infrastructure, organization, planning, insurance, permits, art grants or any of the other things the ticket money goes towards in order to create a truly unique, amazing event.

Additionally, (I don't recall who made the point) I will reiterate the point that the price of the ticket is a very small portion of the cost to attend TTITD. $210 for the tier 1 is not what I would consider "expensive." $360 is harder to bite, but still NOT the lion’s share of the cost to make it all happen. When you compare to the cost of many 3 hour concerts these days, it's comparable....but lasts for a week. Anyone who says “it’s too expensive” has not even thought about the reality of what the true costs and sacrifices are.

To return to the point of the post, sneaking in because a ticket is “too expensive,” I am of the opinion that many people who would say "I want to sneak in because it's too expensive" probably have the MEANS to buy a ticket, but have a pre-existing penchant to be a dick. Just the sort of person who would skip out on a meal because they think they can get away with it, not because they cannot afford it. They think it’s “cool.”

Your idea that "poor" people, whatever definition you happen to be using at the moment, make the event less "exclusive" is elitist to say the least.
What about the people that applied for and got low cost tickets? Should we segregate them from the rest of us?

Finally, even thinking of attaching the term “exclusiveness” to BM makes me realize you have never read the FIRST principle. Take a moment and brush up on some needed reading.
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... iples.html
[/END RANT]
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”