If I Arrive At Gate At 12:01am on 8/29, Will Line Be Long?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: If I Arrive At Gate At 12:01am on 8/29, Will Line Be Lon

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Image

Reminds me of this sign on Mauna Kea in Hawaii..
I have the bumpersticker from there....

vosam

Post by vosam » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:31 am

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the line up would be like at about 8pm? Also, is it hard to find a good camping spot coming in that late? I know good is all sort of preference but if it helps our plan is to be at 8:30ish somewhere between Kindergarten and Initiation.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 am

vosam wrote:Out of curiosity does anyone know what the line up would be like at about 8pm? Also, is it hard to find a good camping spot coming in that late? I know good is all sort of preference but if it helps our plan is to be at 8:30ish somewhere between Kindergarten and Initiation.

It will be long on Monday no matter what time you try for. Prepare for anywhere from 2-5 hours. You should be fine on those streets on Monday..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

vosam

Post by vosam » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Sweet, thank you!

TerryInBRC

Post by TerryInBRC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 pm

One addendum to this, is that they opened the gates a couple hours early last year. Here's hoping they continue the trend this year!

Raymaker

Post by Raymaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 am

Just remember sods law.

1. if you arrive dead on 12.01am you will discover your in a 5 hour queue and that if you arrived 4 hours earlier, they opened up early and you would have gone straight in.

2. if you arrive 4 hours early, you get a 10 minute lecture from the police, then a 10 minute lecture from the gate, then get put in D lot and have to wait 12 hours

3. if you arrive at any recommended 'safe time' after 12.01am everyone does that this year, so you will end up in a 5 hour queue and everyone who arrived just after 12.01am will be telling you they drove straight in.

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:12 am

I like to hang out at the Fallon Walmart parking lot Sunday evening, then head out whenever. Restrooms. Great place for last minute shopping.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 am

It's so much safer to plan a daylight arrival.

In 2009, we both arrived at night and left at night, so we couldn't appreciate the scenery either time. Not to mention I was terrified over the whole "open range" cows I'd heard about, which is a completely foreign concept for me.

No matter what, don't let the flow of traffic try to coerce you into driving faster than you're comfortable (and is legal). My virgin year, I was driving under the speed limit in an overloaded GMC Jimmy towing an overloaded trailer. I literally had people flashing their lights/honking behind me trying to get me to speed up. After they found an opportunity to pass me, I saw more than one pulled over by law enforcement.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Sound advice.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 pm

What is this "scenery" you speak of?

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:What is this "scenery" you speak of?

I'm from illinois, anything that doesn't involve miles of completely flat, corn/bean encrusted fields is scenery to me.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Turnip wrote:No matter what, don't let the flow of traffic try to coerce you into driving faster than you're comfortable (and is legal). My virgin year, I was driving under the speed limit in an overloaded GMC Jimmy towing an overloaded trailer. I literally had people flashing their lights/honking behind me trying to get me to speed up. After they found an opportunity to pass me, I saw more than one pulled over by law enforcement.
My first year, on the way out, someone towing a trailer tried to pass another car and caused a crash. At least one person died in the crash. It was quite depressing that someone's Burning Man experience ended with a fatal accident.

I think of that every year. And I'm never in a hurry on 447.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

It may have been addressed in here somewhere, but make sure you have sufficient gas to make it back to your first intended gas stop, accounting for long line waits coming in and leaving. If you're headed south, the gas line in Gerlach can add another hour or more to your trip. For those heading north, Cedarville is your next gas stop...100 miles away. Plan accordingly!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

silkkat813
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by silkkat813 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:43 pm

[quote="Turnip"]No matter what, don't let the flow of traffic try to coerce you into driving faster than you're comfortable (and is legal). My virgin year, I was driving under the speed limit in an overloaded GMC Jimmy towing an overloaded trailer. I literally had people flashing their lights/honking behind me trying to get me to speed up. After they found an opportunity to pass me, I saw more than one pulled over by law enforcement.[/quote] Last year I got pulled over for going too slow. It was on the Saturday before the gates opened. We had a futon mattress tied to the back of the truck and it flew off to the side. We turned back, tied it down better, and tried to do 5mph below the speed limit. Got pulled over and a warning. (Thankfully no ticket.) I explained to the cop we were just trying to be safe but he said we should leave the mattress then.

For Kirby, you are driving alone? Do you have room in your car? You could find lots of Burners in Reno that need rides. That might make the drive a bit more interesting.
*taking the long way HOME*

essjay

Post by essjay » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm

SnowBlind wrote:
Turnip wrote:
My first year, on the way out, someone towing a trailer tried to pass another car and caused a crash. At least one person died in the crash. It was quite depressing that someone's Burning Man experience ended with a fatal accident.

I think of that every year. And I'm never in a hurry on 447.
Well said. I have seen the results of a number of devastating accidents on 447 during Exodus over the years. If it is your first year (and even experienced burners), you MUST make sure your drivers are up for the 4-8 hours it is going to take you to get to Reno. After a week on the playa, your body is SEVERELY depleted. If you feel exhausted, you are x10. Ignore your deadlines and listen to your body.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:54 pm

In 2009, I arrived at Gerlach at 7:00 pm on a Monday night thinking I would avoid the "crawl" to the front gate. It still took 3-1/2 hours of a crawl from the end of the paved road to the greeters. Last year I arrived late Tuesday Morning and it was about 40 minutes from the end of the paved road to the greeters. This year I'm planning on an earlier departure with the goal of going through Alturas at sunrise on Tuesday morning. I'd prefer to be driving between Alturas and BRC during daylight hours.
Best Regards,
Leo

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Just to put it into perspective, what ever time you arrive will be good. Last year the gates were opened before 6 on Sunday, and this year I think a lot of people are counting on that. JRS will probably tell people not to come before 12:01, but just like tickets selling out, people are going to ignore that advice. Either way, the earlier you get in line, the earlier you will be on the playa. Even if you are stuck in D lot, make the most of it. Get out of your car and do some socializing. I know I would rather be in D lot than in the parking lot at Walmart.

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Worst for me is not the time in line, but my old '86 Dodge heats up idling for so long entering and exiting. I hope to try arriving at nght when it is cooler. Besides then I can run also my heater without baking me to keep my truck from overheating.

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Then go early. The line to get into D lot is not long at all, you basically drive up and are directed to a parking spot in a long line of cars/trucks/RVs. Shut off your car until they let people in. Once your line is moving, you are headed to the gate with no waiting. We planned on D lot in 2008. Got there around 11, and were in the gate just before 3. YMMV.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 am

I make a point of arriving at night. Can't stand the daytime sight of the shantytown as my "welcome" panorama.

Pulling off the tarmac to a vista of neon, fire and distant boot-in-the-dryer - Awesome.

But this is all my pointless observation. When I do go I get there Friday night before gate opens for general admission so it's ~ half hour, mostly spent on hugs and greetings and chitchat with gate staff and greeters. The line is usually ~ dozen vehicles.

waxpraxis

Post by waxpraxis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 am

This is our first year and the three of us in our car are going to be arriving at around 9 or so Wednesday night. Does anyone know what kind of lines you find around then? I'm curious to know just so we can tell the folks in our camp that will have been there since monday.

jojofroyo
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Post by jojofroyo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:54 am

waxpraxis wrote:This is our first year and the three of us in our car are going to be arriving at around 9 or so Wednesday night. Does anyone know what kind of lines you find around then? I'm curious to know just so we can tell the folks in our camp that will have been there since monday.
You should be able to get through quickly... well compared to the people who come on Sunday night/Monday morning. My first year I came through on Wednesday at about 2, the wait in the line was like 30 minutes. But that was in 2006, and less people went that that year.

I would say your wait could be anywhere from a hour to about 2 or 2 and a half maybe less. how long getting through the gate this year is just really best guess!
Just plan on it taking longer, that way if it does go by fast, you will be thoroughly impressed how good the gate people are!

Good luck!

Welcome Home!
;-)

Champagne Lounge!

http://facebook.com/Champagnelounge

shykat

Post by shykat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am

Last year we cam in on weds, at aprox 12 noon, 30 min, from pavement thru the gate. Brother the excitment once you hit the dust is awesome.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 am

waxpraxis wrote:This is our first year and the three of us in our car are going to be arriving at around 9 or so Wednesday night. Does anyone know what kind of lines you find around then? I'm curious to know just so we can tell the folks in our camp that will have been there since monday.
That's an uncommon time to come in, and you will probably not have a dramatic wait--unless there is a serious duststorm (less common at night) or a rainstorm. :D

waxpraxis

Post by waxpraxis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 am

Awesome, thanks for the info. We really wanted to make it out for the whole week, but we're doing this first time sans-kids since it's our anniversary and all!

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Getting there just a bit earlier, between noon and 4 on Wednesday, is something to behold ---- it is the annual naked Greeter's shift which is particularly spectacular for newbies.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

MoonSplash

Post by MoonSplash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Also, I can't remember exactly when it is on Wednesday, but isn't the amazing, gotta be in it, gotta see it Critical Tits Parade on Wednesday afternoon? Please get there in time to witness or participate!

waxpraxis

Post by waxpraxis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Ah! I would love to, but our flight doesn't even arrive in Reno until 3:30pm :?

Because we also have to pick up supplies and another person I think the earliest we would get there is 8pm.

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
Igneouss wrote:My virgin year I rang the bell just as the sun crested the distant mountains. It was beautiful and fitting. On the other hand, the reason I was ringing the bell at 6am (or whatever time it was) was because we had arrived at about 11:50 am. That 10 minutes early was punished with a 6 hour stay in D lot. That year they unloaded D lot 'first in first out'. So folks that arrived hours early got out of D lot in the early am. Folks that were a few minutes early were held until dawn. It was moderately to severly insane. First hand proof that the Org can be really dumb at times.

Not sure the example is clear but imagine that people that arrived 4 hours early were getting to the gate at 2am because they were first out of D lot. If you actually arrived with the intent of getting through the gate at 2am you would be in a 5 hour long line. Early arrivals in D lot were actually getting into the event earlier than legit arrivals who came in after midnight.

Juxtapose that with my group that hit the gate 10 minutes early. We sat for 6 hours in the dark crowded with rows of vehicles. Overflowing porta pottys...

I heard that they fixed the 'first in first out' problem the following year.
Just to shed some light on this:

Yes, there is as much art as science to the DLot and Stack lots...(they are different). DLot is as people here say...it's a place to get "sorted out." People end up there for a variety of reasons. The stack lot is the holding place for people that are otherwise ready to get in, but they do NOT have Early Arrival passes and the event is not yet open.

Prior posters were correct: get there early and Gate will simply turn you around and send you back down the road. LEO in all the small towns ticket for loitering and trespassing, so at that point you're stuck finding your way back far enough towards reno to stay out of trouble.

Later, early folks at some point are directed to the stack lot for admission once the gates are open. LEO and Gate are both watching and interacting with this lot. Depending on how early you end up in it, the rules in it can be fairly draconian. Why? Because it's not a staffed party place. It's a place we had to dream up because fucktards decide to jump the gun and get there early. The "nicer" we make it, the more peole come early for the "pre party." "Memba that year when the fiasco above happened? (not to mention the year before that when people decided that they'd had enough time in Dlot and drove through the fences, making Gate volunteers dive out of the way so they wouldn't be hit, so they could get into line). The year AFTER the big fiasco the stack lot "pre arrival" population was way down. Why? No one wanted to go through the unpleasant fiasco again. So you do the human nature math.

As for the "Org can be really dumb"....well, maybe. But let's just say it wasn't our INTENT to make people that got there just a few minutes before opening get stuck until morning. But once you have some people not following rules in a corral full o' cars, it's really hard to tell them apart and then keep it fair. REALLY hard when they start lying that they too were there early. So hard in fact that you drop FAIRNESS to settle for ORDERLY in the hopes of mitigating the problem.

LoR
LoR,
The early arrivals had a party and had clearly planned to spend time in D lot. You encouraged their behavior by letting them into BRC at 2-5 am (example of self inflicted stupidity). Well meaning newbies like the 3 in my vehicle who made a rational attempt to get it right got penalized by a minimum 6 hour stay in D lot (more stupidity). Come hours early and throw a party and get into BM earlier than many folks that arrive after midnight, or cut it a few minutes to close and sit for 6 hours (see above). Reading your post, you rationalize things well, you're still wrong however. Consider a job in politics. If it had been LIFO instead of FIFO we would not be having this discussion. We were in fact early no skin off our backs for a reasonable stay in D lot. Watching the partiers get out hours before us...not so cool. Calling us 'fucktards' only makes it more obvious that you are wrong. When I say that the event was proof that the Org can do stupid stuff it never ocured to me that you would add name calling to the list of mistakes applied to a car load of well meaning virgins who goofed by 10 minutes. Well done. I suppose good help is hard to find.

J/J
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Black Rock City Snowshoe Team

Post by J/J » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

waxpraxis wrote:This is our first year and the three of us in our car are going to be arriving at around 9 or so Wednesday night

Waxpraxis - toots and bean are on the AEZ greeter shift Wednesday evening !! Most awesome if we should meet. Look for the two that have a of woodland, historic, funk kind of costuming. :D
playa, embrace the dust - eplaya, embrace the snark

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”