making a 2nd trip for H2O

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
fireatsea

making a 2nd trip for H2O

Post by fireatsea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:51 am

This is my first year at Burningman, and I would really like to turn it into a long motorcycle trip as well (I'm coming from Chicago). I've just about worked out a plan for this, but the only way I can really do it is to ride in, set up camp, and then pay the $20 to make a run for a week's worth of water. I've been concerned that I will be turned away at the gate attempting this. I was reassured by quite a few veteran burners at a recent local orientation that I could actually make the extra trip and they would let me in. It was a widespread opinion from people who clearly have a lot of experience, so I've been inclined to believe it. But I'm getting cold feet about it. It will cause massive issues for me if I get there and things have changed. Does anyone know of a way that I can confirm the reality of gate admission one way or the other?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Re: making a 2nd trip for H2O

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 am

Hey fireatsea,

I understand your nervousness. People do leave the city all the time for supplies. It costs $20 per vehicle trip (or $10 for the bus) and you need a ticket stub and a Gate re-entry "chit" if you leave by vehicle, i.e. you must stop at Gate on your way out (everyone has to anyway; it's the only sanctioned way in or out) . . . and don't lose anything they give you!

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html

I don't know what the water container situation is like in Gerlach. They will sell you water, but you might need empties for them to fill.

Also, you will want a gallon or two just to tide you over on your way in. If there is a windstorm and they close Gate for half a day, you don't want to be thirsty.

Be ready to tell Gate your master plan if they ask, so they don't think you're unprepared.

MoonSplash

Post by MoonSplash » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 am

Maybe another option, less expensive than leaving for $20 a pop, is just buying the bags of ice at BM for $3 or $4 every day, and using the ice melt to drink from. Will you have a small cooler?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:44 am

Cooler melt is possible to live off of, although I have heard people say it doesn't taste fresh. I believe it is certainly potable though (provided one's cooler is clean).

Yurtgirl has just mentioned in another thread that she found 5 gallon water bags on Amazon.com, to fill in Gerlach . . .

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Buy, rent, borrow a larger trailer in Reno, and return it outgoing? Or see if your campmates can bring?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

commander

Post by commander » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Why not just buy ice at Antartica and watch it melt? Probably cheaper, a whole lot less hassle, and saves valuable Playa time!

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Ice melt water can be kept uncontaminated if you place your ice in a thick garbage bag, a "contractor's garbage bag". You might want to rinse the interior of one with a hose first or you might have a slight plastic flavor.

Sounds like you won't have much of an ice chest, though. And at $3 per gallon, it is not cheaper to go with ice if you are not also keeping fresh items cool. With the $20 in/out however, it might be break even.
Alternately, get a collapsable water container at REI or Amazon and take that to Gerlach to get it filled. You might be able to do this while arriving, if you can transport that extra weight/bulk with your existing gear for the 12 miles or so to Burning Man.

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:49 pm

In our camp, we take a 2.5 gallon jug (the squared off kind with the handle on top and faucet) of water that's empty, cut a flap in top, and fill it with ice. Cover with a towel or blanket and keep in the shade, or a large cooler, and you'll have a slow steady supply of cold clean water. If it's too slow, then set it in the sun!

You can definitely make the trip to Gerlach if you pay the fee, but ice melt should help out and keep you from having to make several trips.

sick

Post by sick » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:34 pm

as mentioned, it is no problem to leave and come back...ticket stub, twenty bucks, and a reentry chit from the gate folks.
screw melted ice, go get water. or, better yet, coordinate with campmates. my camp uses 55 gallon foodgrade water barrels.

if campmates cant help, get in touch with other burners from your area and see if they can be bribed to transport water for ya.

have an awesome ride! i am soooo jealous!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm

ditto on:
Savannah wrote:...
((~edit: SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE:) http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html
... Also, you will want a gallon or two just to tide you over on your way in...
Savannah wrote:...water bags on Amazon.com, to fill in Gerlach . . .
portaplaya wrote:... get a collapsable water container at REI or Amazon and take that to Gerlach to get it filled. You might be able to do this while arriving, if you can transport that extra weight/bulk with your existing gear for the 12 miles or so to Burning Man.
You can check with the BRC-Gerlach Shuttle in advance as to how much room there will be for your water containers. Might do it all with one run on top of what you bring in the gate (filled at Gerlach?).

You can order the water bags (and anything else) online and have them shipped to a UPS store in Reno. Costs $5 receiving fee per package to pickup.
The North West store (10580 N MCCARRAN BLVD) is Burner Friendly
http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3120/
The Keystone UPS store is more central, and last year the Save Mart at that address had collapsible plastic bags available 24/7 - this year may be different.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 am

portaplaya wrote:Ice melt water can be kept uncontaminated if you place your ice in a thick garbage bag, a "contractor's garbage bag". You might want to rinse the interior of one with a hose first or you might have a slight plastic flavor.
Easier option and no plastic flavor is a few gallon size ziplock bags. One bag of ice fills two of them nicely.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

fireatsea

Post by fireatsea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I'm pretty sure I'm taking the motorcycle. Just to clear up a few things. 1. No camp mates - just me. 2. I'm only leaving for water once. I can get 15 gallons on the bike provided that's all I'm carrying.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Ya know, I'd suggest, two of these empty on the way in. They are very light on the way in.

Then catch the shuttle to Gerlach and fill them up. It would be an easy/small way to carry 14 gallons of water.

OR
Get one of them, struggle a way to carry it in with you on entry. So 7 gallons, thats a gallon a day. Then When it starts to run out, start putting fresh ice in it. And keep extra ice in the cooler in the gallon Zip Lock Bags like CapSmashy suggested.
I understand that loading 56 gallons onto 1 side of the motor cycle is a huge pain in the ass.

OR even easier.
What day are you planning to arrive? If we met in Fernley, and you followed us to Gerlach then we filled up together, you could throw them in our RV, and follow right behind us through the gates. Find where we're camping. Then when you find your camping spot, come grab them. Or some shit along those lines. We have enough water for our camp in the RV, about 10 gallons per person for the week.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:11 am

Ride the $5 bus to Gerlach. Bring containers.

The Gerlach municipal water plant sells water for reasonable prices:
thread here:
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... er#p709731
crash & burn ski lessons given

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”