Is liquid latex (body paint) allowed on airplanes?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
sarahlovering

Is liquid latex (body paint) allowed on airplanes?

Post by sarahlovering » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:00 pm

I really really want to bring some body paint with me but even after looking at multiple websites (FAA, American Airlines, TSA, etc.), can't figure out if liquid latex fits their "restricted or dangerous goods" categories. Does anyone have experience with this?
Sarah E. Lovering
"The unexamined life is not worth living. But the examined life is a pain in the ass."

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:17 pm

It's been years (the atlanta olympics) specificallly, since I took liquid latex in luggage.

but I dont' see why it would be a problem. It's not particular flammable, and it's not in a pressurised container. It's just waterbased paint, which I don't believe is banned either.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

CdnChick

Post by CdnChick » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:41 am

Why not just contact the TSA: (per their website)

For questions or concerns about Travel Tips, Permitted and Prohibited Items, and information on filing a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items, please call the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
Email: [email protected]

That way you can get the scoop right from the luggage checkers. Also, if they need to get a manager or supervisor to make the decision, and they say you can bring the paint - I'd get it in writing. Maybe they can fax you a document that states their decision so you have no hassle.

CC

LostMachine

Post by LostMachine » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:34 pm

I once had about 100’ of rope in my carryon. I needed it to tie down stuff while moving. The guy thought it was something kinky and put on rubber gloves to handle it, then he made a comment “looks like someone has been having some fun”. All I said was “Excuse me?” and the asshole attitude came out. They were not going to let me take my rope on that plane. I had to toss about $50 of nice tie down rope.

The supervisor said that it was his up to HIM what went on and what didn’t. Just because they had no rule for rope didn’t mean I could take it. He even said my desire to take it caused him concern and that he could “kick me off the airline”.

My point: get it in writing or maybe FedEx it to someone who is driving and have them bring it for you.
www.LostMachine.com

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:44 am

Hahahahaha. This thread is so Burning Man.

"Can I take a flamethrower on a plane if it's for artisitic purposes?"

Sassypantz

Liquid Latex Lounge

Post by Sassypantz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 am

Come to the Liquid Latex Lounge for painting! If you don't want to bring your own, we'll have all the supplies. We're a longtime registered theme camp www.liquidlatexlounge.com If you're planning on painting at night, you'll need your own since we're a daytime camp. Contact Six for the Burner discount. His email addy is on the website. Hope to see you there!

xxxooo
Sassypantz

EvilDustBooger

TSA=Terrifically Suspicious Assholes

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:18 am

I nearly shut down the airport recently, when I stupidly put one of those new-fangled LED-torch flashlites from Sharper Image in my carry-on. It`s a fucking flashlite! But because it looked different.....
The TSA agent took it "in back" somewhere while I chilled under the watchful eyes of suspicious security personel. About 10-15 min. later they came back gave it to me and looked irritated. Believe me, things have changed bigtime at airports....when in doubt...stay in doubt. Make sure it`s clearly labeled and check first if it`s ok, checked baggage is easier and less restrictive than carry-on, and even then it`s up to the dozens of individuals that are rifling through your things to decide.

September 11 changed us. The innocence is over. Very sad.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:14 am

As others have pointed out, the knucklehead who's doing your search that day gets to make decisions on his own and without supervision by a competent adult.

Your airline may have rules in addition to the TSA. See
http://www.cieux.com/onlineAirline.html
and check your airiline's security page.

The TSA's list of officially sanctioned items is at
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrar ... 005_v3.pdf
Note that it is a .pdf.

supersurly

Re: TSA=Terrifically Suspicious Assholes

Post by supersurly » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:I nearly shut down the airport recently, when I stupidly put one of those new-fangled LED-torch flashlites from Sharper Image in my carry-on. It`s a fucking flashlite! But because it looked different.....
Weird, I carried 3 metal surefire flashlights with me to and from costa rica, they definatly got inspected extra close but there were no problems. On the other hand the battery packs for the flashlights did cause some issues, ending up with them telling me to carry them on since I tried to check them. Something about the pressure, even though they are in their own pressurized containers.

they are very military looking too...

BTW I recommend keeping your mouth shut when dealing with these types, this is a job which pays very poorly and requires no education yet is a position of power, which can lead to some pretty bad ego trips.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:58 pm

At the Las Vegas specialty auto parts show last November one vendor was passing out small 10mm wrenches. I put it in my carryone luggage. It was removed and I was told it was banned. As politely as I could, I asked why and was told that a wrench like that could be used to dismantle the aircraft and cause it to crash. I was laughing so hard I think I embarrassed the inspector. I thought he was joking. I was informed by a supervisor that security is not a joke and such tools are not allowed on board. I advised him of where he could store the tool and proceeded without it.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

On another note, I was at the Zurich Airport, and discovered that I had a "Bic" lighter in my pocket. I told the security about it, they didn`t want it....people were smoking all around the airport(in smoking areas)and I could not give it to them without signing a waver of some sort....but I knew I would probably be tackled and strip searched when I got stateside...so I hassled the poor Swiss guard with taking my lighter from me....nothing is simple anymore.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”