Once you park, do you playa-proof your vehicle in any way?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Once you park, do you playa-proof your vehicle in any wa

Post by Ratty » Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Good point. I always think something is gonna last forever and then the elements take their toll. I like those things you put up to protect your dashboard. (I have connections for just about everything used). Mylar would last the week but may not survive being taken off. OK. What ever I run across will get taped to my windows. No pressure here. GOD I'm drunk and it's 2:20 in the afternoon. What made me think that rain was an excuse to bail at work, come home to sew and have a glass, (or 2), of wine? I love my life!
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Bubble wrap is a fine product, but I prefer the mylar because it is less bulky inbound and outbound. The bubble wrap may be recyclable at a specialized recycling depot as is mylar. But both are going to be downcycled into less useful materials.
Save it and reuse it next year...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh crud. That mylar's dirt cheap if you know where to look and it never packs down to anywhere near as small as when you got it.

Wait--are we talking about the padded windshield type stuff. that I might save. Especially if I had it cut just right.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Last year we used the mylar covered bubble wrap (Reflectix) available in various sized rolls in the insulation section at Lowes and probably at HD as well. Two 25 foot rolls covered all the windows and skylight in the rv. We pre cut and fitted it with frog tape to the inside of all the windows and it helped tremendously - there was no time of day when it was unbearable in the rv although it was not particularly comfortable after 10 AM. Being an insulation product it works primarily to hinder the conduction of the heat into the vehicle, but being reflective also helps some.
Actually, the major benefit is the reflective quality. That's why it's so critical where there's openings for sunlight, UV and IR to radiate inside.
Which is why, if installed on the outside, it performs best, as it reflects the heat away before it even gets to the windows/skylights. Extend it to cover the window/skylight frames too, so they don't get hot and conduct heat inside.

If installed on the inside, also extend it to cover the frames. Now its insulation value comes into play and here it will out perform straight mylar sheeting/blankets installed on the inside. But even with the insulation value, heat from the window and frame will still get through it. Consider using two or three layers.

For windows, skylights or doors you may want/need to use for emergency exits, coverings installed on the outside (or taped seams to keep hot air and dust out) can mean that these can only be opened if someone goes to the outside to remove them. Painter's tape on the seams is all that's required to prevent a sliding window from sliding. If they're installed on the inside, then they can quickly be removed from the inside and the opening used as an emergency exit.

I've got lots more coming on this topic (cover materials, tapes, methods). Draft four still being worked on.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri May 04, 2012 10:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh crud. That mylar's dirt cheap if you know where to look and it never packs down to anywhere near as small as when you got it.
Wait--are we talking about the padded windshield type stuff. that I might save. Especially if I had it cut just right.
We're talking about both.
For curved windows, mylar is hard to use inside. The foil-sided bubble-wrap tends to hold its shape, while easily forming to curves.

Here's an unformatted cut&paste from the RV Heat document I'm working on.

Foil-Sided Bubble-Wrap.
- Foil is a radiant barrier that reflects sunlight & heat. Bubble-wrap core insulates.
- Easy and clean to cut (knife or scissors), install, remove, clean and store. Semi-rigid, yet flexible – easy to custom cut & shape to fit a windshield or other curved surfaces. Should last years for multiple burns and other venues.
- Found in kits to wrap water heaters (more expensive) and in rolls of different widths/lengths for construction insulation. At building supply stores (in 2010: Available at Lowe's, Reno; HD said they get lots of requests for it, but the store wouldn't carry it). Price varies, sometimes widely – shop around.
- Haven't tried or heard the results of using multiple layers of FSBW on all covers, so we don't know if the improved performance is worth the extra cost – but when installed inside, multiple layers is essential to minimize the heat from skylights and roof vents. For anything else in the sun for more than an hour or two, I'd strongly expect a similar benefit.
- Excellent on a window to keep heat IN on cold nights, or to use as an adhoc blanket or tent over the bed in a cold snap. (saved depleting the battery to run the RV heater in early 2010 Burn)
- There's a high-end version available online. Same reflection with better insulation and heavy duty construction. Limited return for the extra cost for just playa use – but if off-playa you're going to spend months in the heat (or cold), you may want to consider it. Heavier: harder to cut, shape and position; resists folding.

Mylar “Space”/”Emergency” Blankets
- reflects sunlight and heat, but no insulation.
- Easy to cut, but once cut may easily tear. In wind: prone to noise; and tearing unless it's one with a strong re-enforcing lining/backing, like a plastic tarp or ground sheet (commonly red, blue, green or camo).
- Lined ones obviously installed shiny side out.
- Unlined ones: install with the shiniest side facing outside; viewing inside-to-outside partially see-through in bright sunlight; can be see-through from outside-to-inside at night with a light on inside (what, you didn't realize you were providing performance art?).
- When folded, the shiny part may start to come off it's backing at the folds, so care needs to be taken if you want it for repeat use.
- Can be cheap or expensive. Shop around.
- Mylar rarely survives for a 2nd use after an encounter with foil tape if you try to remove the tape.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Canoe wrote:I've got lots more coming on this topic (cover materials, tapes, methods). Draft four still being worked on.
Fuck. Where else but eplaya?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 am

And visa-verse. How do you car-proof the playa? I was just thinking about an oil leak. That must be a HUGE moopy problem. All the leaky vehicles should park on a tarp or at the very least, a sheet. (Where do these thoughts come from?)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat May 05, 2012 8:35 am

I must say playa hat's off to Mr Canoe for his research. +1 for reusing the bubble wrap, year to year! Mylar is not reusable. I must say that inside the vehicle some light does come through the mylar, not sure how that compares to brands of the aluminized bubble wrap, which will vary in cost to make by aluminum thickness. Maybe once your research is done there is a place in official BM org publications and tips. You might also consider physics basics like radiation, convection and conduction in your analysis of inside, outside and materials.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 am

Plastics.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat May 05, 2012 8:53 am

+1 Mr Bob, as usual. But touche: plastics recycling. Tyvek should be it's polyethylene. Check your local building products recycling depot. What happened to that Tyvek/? snow camo sheeting?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 am

Ratty wrote:And visa-verse. How do you car-proof the playa? I was just thinking about an oil leak. That must be a HUGE moopy problem. All the leaky vehicles should park on a tarp or at the very least, a sheet.
They actually figured out how much impact those cars have on the playa in the permitting EA.
The Lady with a Lamprey

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Sat May 05, 2012 8:27 pm

I went and tinted all the windows in the rv. I used 5% (commonly known as "limo black"). Additionally, it blocks the UV as well as light. The benefit to the tint is that it still allows you to look out the windows, and also gives you privacy. During the day, from the outside you cant see into the rv, but from the inside you can see out. The tinting lowered the inside temps by over 10 degrees F.

And it makes the rv look gangsta!
Praise the Lowered

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

The reflective window film is more effective.

The 3M product I mentioned is even more effective, with a 50% to 80% tint.
Not cheap, but superior and windshield legal.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 pm

some seeing eye wrote:...You might also consider physics basics like radiation, convection and conduction in your analysis of inside, outside and materials.
Going with: what to do, with what materials, how to do it, and this is the benefit. Trying to keep it practical. Had it near done, but realized that a reorg would make it more usable. It also starts with a "cheat sheet", for those with ADD or the attention span of a drunk who unknowingly wondered into Critical Tits.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I picked up the bubble wrap at HD in Sacramento last year and had enough in the small roll to do at least the sunward side of my van. Made a HUGE difference in how late I could sleep in the morning! And I just pulled it off (the outside) and stored it for next year. Getting more for this year, so I can do more of the van. Put it on with blue painters masking tape. Simple, reusable, cheap.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed May 16, 2012 12:56 pm

My Partner buys up the reflecting car sun shades at thrift stores whenever he sees them ($2?! each maybe), and he cut them down to the size of the windows and we taped them inside with the blue painters tape. At the end of the burn we carefully removed them and folded them neatly so they can be used again and again. We put a really big one in the front window and covered the dash with a towel. I check and recheck under the van for oil drips. If one sprung I would have to move the van and drive over a tarp to protect the playa. I certainly do not want to dig up a leak spot and take all that oiled playa home! I wash the van inside and out when I get home. Also change the oil and air filter for good measure.

On a side note. I am getting so fucking excited for the burn I can hardly stand it. I have no idea why this year is such a rush for me. I almost feel virgin like.
In dust we trust.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 16, 2012 1:01 pm

danibel wrote:On a side note. I am getting so fucking excited for the burn I can hardly stand it. I have no idea why this year is such a rush for me. I almost feel virgin like.
Face it, the rush of this year's ticket troubles gives many of us a dirty little thrill. The routine has been shaken up. It's all so much fresher if there's a chance you can't have it.

Humans...
The Lady with a Lamprey

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed May 16, 2012 1:05 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
danibel wrote:On a side note. I am getting so fucking excited for the burn I can hardly stand it. I have no idea why this year is such a rush for me. I almost feel virgin like.
Face it, the rush of this year's ticket troubles gives many of us a dirty little thrill. The routine has been shaken up. It's all so much fresher if there's a chance you can't have it.

Humans...

You know Fishy, I do believe you are right. I have 5 campmates that do not have tickets (didn't get into step either), and the possibility that I might not have gotten a ticket makes this burn feel special. Is that bad of me to feel that way? Privileged perhaps? Ack!
In dust we trust.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 pm

danibel wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Humans...

You know Fishy, I do believe you are right. I have 5 campmates that do not have tickets (didn't get into step either), and the possibility that I might not have gotten a ticket makes this burn feel special. Is that bad of me to feel that way? Privileged perhaps? Ack!
If it's conflicting to feel "special", choose instead to see yourself as fortunate.

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Savannah wrote:
danibel wrote:

If it's conflicting to feel "special", choose instead to see yourself as fortunate.
Thank you Savannah. As usual your words of wisdom help. I will meditate on the word "fortunate." :D

And PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Carry on with your playa-proofing convo.
In dust we trust.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 28, 2012 7:08 am

Playa Proof Our Vehicles???

yes we do....

NO LOGOS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I've settled on a new Toyota Sienna. (I haven't bought it yet, but I will soon). It will probably be white even though that's my least favorite car color. NO problem. I'll have something painted on that blank canvas. Hmmmm. Flames? My butt? My butt in flames?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Ratty wrote:I've settled on a new Toyota Sienna. (I haven't bought it yet, but I will soon). It will probably be white even though that's my least favorite car color. NO problem. I'll have something painted on that blank canvas. Hmmmm. Flames? My butt? My butt in flames?
Please tell me you'll get one of those loudspeakers and that you'll drive around with some sort of message about eating beans and having gas when you drive it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Ratty wrote:I've settled on a new Toyota Sienna. (I haven't bought it yet, but I will soon). It will probably be white even though that's my least favorite car color. NO problem. I'll have something painted on that blank canvas. Hmmmm. Flames? My butt? My butt in flames?
Please tell me you'll get one of those loudspeakers and that you'll drive around with some sort of message about eating beans and having gas when you drive it.
Propaganda CAR!!!!!!! :P
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Tue May 29, 2012 5:36 pm

do NOT tell Gonzo about this idea!

Gonzo Frothwood

Post by Gonzo Frothwood » Tue May 29, 2012 5:41 pm

I have amps. I have inverters. I have the power to make your ears bleed!
My dad was a vehicle painter, I can do flames.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 am

We're driving our own car to the playa this year. Rented cargo vans in the past, but don't like the cost.

My plan was, aside from sheets taped down on the inside, to wrap the entire car in Saranwrap when we get there to protect the finish of the car, and then put a car cover on that straps across the underside. Would that not work fairly well? We don't need to get into/out of it once we're there. Just unload and good to go.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 am

You'd need one of those really good and sadly expensive stretchy covers.
I'm still not sure it would be proof against wind abrasion.
I like the plastic wrap idea though.
Wrap around the car cover or just mylar.
Might work.

My truck is totally playa proof this year.
Parking here.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

I got my new Sienna, (silver), and I can't wait to have all the plastic lamp covers sand blasted. It's just a car. I'm thinking about covering the engine compartment and the tires. I can look right through those rims and see all the works to my brakes. I picture them packed with playa dust and needing a brake job right away. But then I see ghosts sometimes too.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:02 am

You can clean the brakes, even lubricate them if you know how.
Shouldn't wreck anything.
Might make them stick a bit while dirty.
Drums should keep the dust out.

You can put cardboard over the radiator on most cars.
Not a problem most years.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”