Insurance for street legal MV

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Post Reply
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:55 pm

Insurance for street legal MV

Post by msmohit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 am

Anyone have advice on insurance for a street legal mutant vehicle? We are hoping to bring it to other regional events, so need insurance year round. It will be registered with the"other" DMV as an RV.

Thanks for any guidance!

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 16813
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco

Re: Insurance for street legal MV

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation forum, since I think that's a better fit for questions about preparing/building a vehicle. The MV board in the 2012 event board is more about on-playa activities.

When my girlfriend and I did some transformation work on our van so it could function as both an on-playa mutant vehicle yet still remain street legal, we didn't put any special coverage on it. In our case though, it's only a mutant vehicle when quite a bit of extra structure is added (we like to think of it as a playa costume), otherwise it's just a cargo van with a custom steel roof rack. And for us, the 'art car' mode is pretty much a chill space (as opposed to parade float/mobile dancing platform), so there isn't any real concern about a collision with a bunch of passengers on board. Depending on the kind of vehicle or number of passengers you plan on carrying, you may want to increase your liability coverage.

Any MV builders or operators out there that care to weigh in on this?

User avatar
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Insurance for street legal MV

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Hagerty has a good rep.

Post Reply

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”