What bins are good for the Container?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Re: What bins are good for the Container?

Post by Raoul » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 am

My apologies if this question is a bit off topic...

The BM website says that vehicles must drive directly to camp and remain parked for the entire time. But, are we allowed to drive to the containers to pick up our stuff before going to camp? Or do we have to take vehicles directly to camp and then carry stuff from the containers? That will probably help me decide which shape/size bins to use.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 am

I see containers being dropped right in camp spaces.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Raoul

Post by Raoul » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 am

Elliot wrote:I see containers being dropped right in camp spaces.
I've got space on a shared container and was told it will be at Hive along the Esplanade. Since I'm a Burgin, I am not really sure where that is or how far it will be from my camp. If I can't drive my vehicle to pick up my stuff before heading to camp, I'm thinking about ditching the rental car, going with Burner Express and adding a handcart to the list of items that I ship in the container.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 am

You may drive as needed to set up camp. Just keep it to a minimum, and be very careful about the 5 MPH speed limit and safety generally. Pedestrians and bicycles have right-of-way.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Raoul

Post by Raoul » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:09 am

Elliot wrote:You may drive as needed to set up camp. Just keep it to a minimum, and be very careful about the 5 MPH speed limit and safety generally. Pedestrians and bicycles have right-of-way.
Thanks for the info, Elliot. I'm sure I will want to look around and take it all in so much that 5 mph might be faster than I want to drive. 8)

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 am

Basically... keep your foot on the brake. 5 is super fast!

If you know where you container camp will be, shoot over there upon arrival and then to setup wherever you are camping. If it's close enough to your camp then park and walk over. Once you park, don't drive again.... Also don't drive across the playa ir Esplanade. Stick to letter/number streets.

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

AbundantChoice

Post by AbundantChoice » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm

The Hive containers from Boston will almost definitely be on A, as the Hive stretches from Esplanade to A. We were lucky enough to have the containers on a corner last year, so you could drive directly to them to pick up / drop off. Note that your stuff may be below the container, or next to it, once you show up, as people dig back into them for camp infrastructure stuff etc.

The yellow & black HDX containers from Home Depot work OK. They also have natural zip-tie holes to secure the lid to the container during transport. The normal cheapo rubbermaid stuff is crap and will get destroyed, usually by cracking up. Try to avoid anything "soft (i.e. "i'll just throw a suitcase fulla clothes on the containers!). If you want the most bomb-proof stuff imaginable, check out Attached Lid Containers (ALCs) from Akro-MIlls. You'll notice a *ton* of container share folks using them, as they are pretty much bomb-proof.

Also, more smaller containers is generally better than a few massive and ultra-heavy containers. Makes loading, unloading, and moving them around easier.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”